NT April - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 503 Old 04-09-2006, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday there seemed to be a confluence of NT tasks that needed completing all around the same time. Beans needed cooking, bread needed to be mixed, kneaded and set to rise, liver pate to be made and a vegetable soup to be made from a bone broth that cooked all the previous day.

The bread turned out beautifully. Delicious crusty outside, dense and tangy and moist inside. This was my first try with sourdough and based on hearing everyone else's experience with it I figured I'd have to make it a few times before getting it right. The one thing I did slightly differently was to let it rise for longer than was suggested in the book. Plus I had less starter left after mixing the dough and two giant loaves instead of three.
#122 of 503 Old 04-09-2006, 05:31 PM

Our library has EFLF so I will get it out next time I am there. I kind of fall down with stuff like coconut oil as it is not really the most environmentally best thing for me. I try to eat mainly locally grown food & things that grow in our environment. The other stuff, like cocoa & coffee, I only get fair trade.

Me & one of my friends & the kids bumped off one of our extra roos yesterday so I have a chook in the fridge ready to roast. It was only about 4 months old so I am roasting it. I saved the feet for stock & got the gizzard etc. Anyone know what to do with the other bits ? The kids were fine & even helped pluck the chook, which makes me think I've done the right thing bringing them up with an NT diet. Anyways, on wednesday, we will be able to have a meal that we completely raised ourselves which is pretty cool!
#123 of 503 Old 04-10-2006, 09:59 AM

Anna-which bread recipe did you use? I am so afraid to try after reading all the posts of bread that did not turn out....any more tips? Thanks!
#124 of 503 Old 04-10-2006, 02:22 PM

Tried kombacha from the store--I wanted to like it soo badly but it reminds me of watery fruit beer...do I need to make my own or try a different flavor or is this what it tastes like? Dh loves beer and even said it had a beer taste but it was too weird to drink.

Things going good with NT-Whole family on CLO (nordic oragnge) Dh is so trusting of me...I told him I was going to mix the "supplement" into his water everyday and he said "okay." I think he knows that he is part of "Jennifer's Nutrition Experiment"

Feeling energetic and 5 pounds still off!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#125 of 503 Old 04-10-2006, 03:58 PM

Ok my birthday is coming up (cant believe Im almost 30 : )Anyway I was wondering what books and gadgets I should ask for to help with my NT journey. So far I am thinking of asking for a butter bell, a yogurt maker, and Wild Fermentation book. What else would you suggest?

Also we have always done a lot of grilling during the summer, but it sounds like that is not really healthy. Can someone fill me in on this?
#126 of 503 Old 04-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Birthday Wishlist:
dehydrator
Eat Fat, Lose Fat

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#127 of 503 Old 04-10-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama
Tried kombacha from the store--I wanted to like it soo badly but it reminds me of watery fruit beer...do I need to make my own or try a different flavor or is this what it tastes like? Dh loves beer and even said it had a beer taste but it was too weird to drink.
Hmmm, there are lots of different kinds of Kombucha. Try some flavor infused ones to warm up
Raspberry is great and is a pretty pink
#128 of 503 Old 04-10-2006, 06:00 PM

Grilling produces acrylamides-not so good for health. I've read that if you mix vitamin E in with meat it will couteract the effects...I just don't grill. Far easier that way!
#129 of 503 Old 04-10-2006, 06:02 PM

I love grilling.... :-( it keeps the heat outside and adds wonderful flavor..and it is the only way we like salmon...lol
#130 of 503 Old 04-10-2006, 06:22 PM

The problem is two things...heat and smoke. Both create chemicals that can cause genetic mutations and unrestricted cell growth that signal cancer. When meat is cooked chemicals known as HCA's are formed inthe food. HCA's are created when amino acids combine with creatine at high temps. Researchers have found 17 different HCA's that pose cancer risks.
Also, cooking meat over grills creates smoke when fat from meat drips onto hot coals. The burning fat results in hot flare ups, and smoke curls around the food. The smoke contains benzopyrene, a carcinogen that manifests particularly in the GI tract. Like any of us need that!
THe risks were noted back in 1977 when scientists in Japan found that meat cooked at high tempuratures over a grill contained mutagens-chemicals that change the structure of DNA.-there was a study done by the national cancer institute, and another one printed in the oregonian newspaper. I'd have to find them though...
We used to love grilling. I miss it, but won't be going back!
#131 of 503 Old 04-10-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zsel
Anna-which bread recipe did you use? I am so afraid to try after reading all the posts of bread that did not turn out....any more tips? Thanks!
I used the starter recipe in NT using all rye flour and then I used the bread recipe on the following page using all spelt. I let it rise a good 16 hrs in quite a warm spot and I put it into 2 large pans rather than 3. I had much less starter leftover than the book said I would, about half I think. Other than that I didn't do anything differently. It's worth a try since it's not that expensive if it doesn't quite work out. And who knows you might be pleasantly surprised.
#132 of 503 Old 04-10-2006, 08:02 PM

I used the recipe in the book using a mix of rye and whole wheat with my starter. I started with the whole wheat and then when I fed the starter, I alternated ww and the rye. The first loaves I made, I actually let the bread rise for 2 days, punching down after the first day. It is pretty cold here, so it takes a while for things to rise. One thing I have found with sourdough (at least with my starts--don't know about others!) but it takes a few batches of bread before the starter really starts to work really well. Does anyone else have the same thing happen?
#133 of 503 Old 04-10-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
Ok my birthday is coming up (cant believe Im almost 30 : )Anyway I was wondering what books and gadgets I should ask for to help with my NT journey. So far I am thinking of asking for a butter bell, a yogurt maker, and Wild Fermentation book. What else would you suggest?

Also we have always done a lot of grilling during the summer, but it sounds like that is not really healthy. Can someone fill me in on this?
hasbak--holding a sick baby and keying! he is teething and has temp of 100-102..any advice appreciated. tething is always like this for him.
keep the nt birthday ideas coming--mine is on the 28th!

bbq-i will just have it on special occasions like 4th of july

i just read on WAPF website under women's health that uterine hemoorage is caused by vitamin A defiency needed from NT animal products. this woman had uterine hemmorage for 4 years and finally got a hysterectomy. her dr put her on strict veget. before that...i had an mc 2/28 with a hemmorgage that induced shock, vomitting, blacking out and then the bleeding kept going on and on and my dr didn't know what to do..I am sadto think being a fatfree vegan could have caused that..i was trying so hard to do the right thing. I am also angry because i feel mislead.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#134 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 12:10 AM

I asked for (and got!) a food processor for my birthday last month. DH had to show the email I sent him to other people in his office because of course the stereotypical woman doesn't want appliances for gifts.
#135 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 12:19 AM

My birthday is on the 27th!

I had some wickedly nasty blood loss after my m/c in my vegan days. I ended up having to have iron injections

Yes with the sourdough taking a few goes before the bread tastes any good. I captured a starter in the bush out the back just after xmas. I know a lady who bakes the best bread in the world. I gave some to her as she had just returned from overseas & was starterless. Apparently the flavour is really good so she did all sorts of things to it to make it bake good bread as it did not rise properly or over rose & collapsed & now reckons it is perfect.

I thought acrylamides were only created in starches
#136 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 07:20 AM

subbing
#137 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 09:10 AM

Re: grilling....In NT she says that to counter the negative effects of grilling, you should eat a high enzyme salad and/or lots of fermented veggies with that meal. We don't do a ton of grilling, every once in a while in the summer, but when we do, I make sure that the rest of our meal is super healthy, fresh veggies, kimchi, etc. Also, we cook our meat pretty rare, so it's not on the grill for very long.
Firefaery, so if it's the smoke that is partially responsible for the negative effects, what does that mean for smoked foods, like smoked salmon. Is that bad, too?
#138 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontana
Re: grilling....In NT she says that to counter the negative effects of grilling, you should eat a high enzyme salad and/or lots of fermented veggies with that meal. We don't do a ton of grilling, every once in a while in the summer, but when we do, I make sure that the rest of our meal is super healthy, fresh veggies, kimchi, etc. Also, we cook our meat pretty rare, so it's not on the grill for very long.
Firefaery, so if it's the smoke that is partially responsible for the negative effects, what does that mean for smoked foods, like smoked salmon. Is that bad, too?
Great?'s, we are like vermontana and our family eats gilled meats very rare so they are not on long. I hope that helps so there is not too much chemical reaction.
#139 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma
YEAH! We share a birthday!!
#140 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We too only grill every now and then. If you learn to grill better (appropriate temp for type of meat and fat content) you will have less smoke and burnt flavor, and fewer carcinogens. I am not neurotic enough to try to remove every carcinogen in my life that gives me pleasure, when the government allows plenty of carcinogens into my life for other people's profit. I do agree about other positive lifestyle changes minimizing the effect of carcinogens. Otherwise we would all have cancer of the everything (coming soon to a mainstream lifestyle near you!) I thought I remember that the risk is minimally higher with charcoal and wood rather than gas grills. But gas grilling has a much greater environmental impact.
I don't bake sourdough (yet) but artisanal bakers keep they're starter going for YEARS. I haven't gotten one to share with me yet.
#141 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 11:45 AM

I have no idea about the smoked stuff-I would assume it's the same. Let me start digging!
#142 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri Patetic
I asked for (and got!) a food processor for my birthday last month. DH had to show the email I sent him to other people in his office because of course the stereotypical woman doesn't want appliances for gifts.

I got a handheld blender for x-mas and a dehydrator for my birthday Plus my mom gave us $ for a food processor. Our kitchen is being taken over by appliances. Which we actually use. Alot!

Can I just say that the sourdough bread is We're loving it and it cost pennies to make.
#143 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
There is starch in meat; that is what burns first in the meat, IIRC, and gives it that grilled flavour.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#144 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 01:17 PM

I have wondered about primative people then, they would have cooked over an open flame, right?

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#145 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I had some wickedly nasty blood loss after my m/c in my vegan days. I ended up having to have iron injections

Yes with the sourdough taking a few goes before the bread tastes any good. I captured a starter in the bush out the back just after xmas. I know a lady who bakes the best bread in the world. I gave some to her as she had just returned from overseas & was starterless. Apparently the flavour is really good so she did all sorts of things to it to make it bake good bread as it did not rise properly or over rose & collapsed & now reckons it is perfect.

What do you use for starter that you can catch outside in the bushes? My curiosity is killing me!
#146 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 01:42 PM

I think it depends...it isn't my area of expertise whatsoever, but I know in the paleolithic era they didn't cook. It's my understanding (don't quote me) that cooking over a flame didn't happen until the onset of agriculture. Don't know if it's true or not...
#147 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 01:50 PM

I forgot to ask about soaking liver. So should I soak it in lemon juice or should I get some buttermilk? I have some I have defrosted and need to use. I think I am going to do like liver and onions if I can find a recipe, that is how my DH has always had it (although he doesn't eat the onions). My NT book is packed. I think it is just kinda pan fried isn't it? My MIL makes it with venison whenever she can get it, but she doesn't like to help me make things like she does.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#148 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 02:29 PM

The liver thing is really a matter of taste- for me, it is healthier to soak it in milk or buttermilk, because then I'll eat more! Lemon makes more sense as a toxin remover, probably. Yes, pan-fried is how she does it. I start my onions on low in another pan, because dd and I like them to carmelize. Fry liver briefly on each side (1-2 minutes)- it cooks fast, put it on a plate to rest and cover it. Put onions in pan and finish frying. Deglaze with heavy cream, scrape up bits, S&P. Oh, put any juices that have accumulated on the plate into the sauce. Ironically for all that I have shunned liver in the past, it's a main dish done so quickly- 10 minutes, healthy and cheap. My MIL won't really tell me how to make things, either. So my liver recipe is a combination of Fallon's and the German way in my cookbooks, same with liver dumplings. If I could get her to tell me how she really makes marrow dumplings, I'm sure y'all would love it.
#149 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian
I got my Blue Ice CLO over the weekend. Not too thrilled with the flavor--cinnamon tingle. It tastes kind of like linament with a cinnamon aftertaste Definitely medicinal. Not like the Carlson's which tastes only of lemons. Gotta wonder about the lemon 'flavoring' they're using. So I'm wondering how much Blue Ice y'all are taking. Dr. Ron said he's been taking 3 tbsp for years. Which amounts to about 100,000IU of A per day. He recommended a tbsp which is about 30,000 IU of A and 3,000 D. I'm starting with a 1/2 teaspoon twice a day.

Anyone taking glandulars?
I've seen Dr. Ron once and consulted with him one other time. He does advocate quite a bit of high vitamin CLO and butter oil. I only take 1/2 tsp butter oil and 1 tsp high vit CLO per day. After seeing him I read N&PD. WP states that his dosage of 1/2 tsp mix ( 50:50 CLO/BO) three times a day should not be increased due to the possibility of nephrotoxicity and cardiotoxicity. I need to ask Dr. Ron about this next time I consult with him. I started taking his adrenals and calcium supplements last fall. He did a bunch of blood work on me and found that my adrenals were weak and ca was low. Three days after starting these products my stress and anxiety improved even though dd's health situation was the same. She has been taking the Organ Delight for about 4 months. I can't say that it has helped, but I do believe it is sustaining her since her intake is so pitiful and her digestion/absorb horrid.
I agree with some of Mercola's info, but it has always made me uncomfortable that he is ALWAYS trying to sell something. I take what he says with a grain of salt.

Peace,
#150 of 503 Old 04-11-2006, 04:09 PM

All I did with the starter was put some ww flour & some water in a jar. I went up into the bush & tied it to a tree with the lid off. I picked one which looked like a bird couldn't be able to sit on top & poo in my starter! I went back 5 days later & it was bubbling. I took that back home & strained it & fed it more ww flour & water. I waited too until the kanuka were all flowering as I figured the pollen would make a good starter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page