Mothering Forum banner

NT April

17K views 502 replies 62 participants last post by  Panserbjorne 
#1 ·
Hey Nourishing mama's! It's a new month.

Has anyone tried anything new and great lately? I'm wanting to try a cereal recipe for my kids and dh in the mornings when I want them to fend for themselves. I've tried one before from EFLF--tasted like Grape nuts.

I'm still working on doing a more NT version of raw. Just wishing I had a source of raw butter. We are loving having the wonderful goat's milk.

Anyone have good jerky recipes/seasoning ideas? I'll be needing to make a bunch soon!

#2 ·
Tweety~(can I call you tweety for short?!?!) I found an online source of raw butter. www.slankersgrassfedmeats.com They have everything.

I just bought bones to make stock-I'm gonna do it, I swear! I got marrow bones and oxtail. It's a whole tail! I kinda freaking out about it...has anyone used this in stock? THe guy said it was really high in gelatin. If that's true I'll suck it up and do it. I also got liver which I want to do raw...but I don't think I can do the cocktail. Can I just make jerky? Has anyone done it with liver? Can you give me any advice?

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefaery
I got marrow bones and oxtail. It's a whole tail! I kinda freaking out about it...has anyone used this in stock?

I've got one in the freezer too and have wondered what to do with it.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetybirds2
I'm wanting to try a cereal recipe for my kids and dh in the mornings when I want them to fend for the
We like this one, as well as the granola recipe in there. I'm going to try to make it more for the warmer months. I ordered some trays for my dehydrator so I can make it without the oven.

#5 ·
Someone posted an NT granola recipe awhile back. It was good tho somewhat labor intensive.

I got my Blue Ice CLO over the weekend. Not too thrilled with the flavor--cinnamon tingle. It tastes kind of like linament with a cinnamon aftertaste
Definitely medicinal. Not like the Carlson's which tastes only of lemons. Gotta wonder about the lemon 'flavoring' they're using. So I'm wondering how much Blue Ice y'all are taking. Dr. Ron said he's been taking 3 tbsp for years. Which amounts to about 100,000IU of A per day. He recommended a tbsp which is about 30,000 IU of A and 3,000 D. I'm starting with a 1/2 teaspoon twice a day.

Anyone taking glandulars?

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefaery
Tweety~(can I call you tweety for short?!?!) I found an online source of raw butter. www.slankersgrassfedmeats.com They have everything.

I just bought bones to make stock-I'm gonna do it, I swear! I got marrow bones and oxtail. It's a whole tail! I kinda freaking out about it...has anyone used this in stock? THe guy said it was really high in gelatin. If that's true I'll suck it up and do it. I also got liver which I want to do raw...but I don't think I can do the cocktail. Can I just make jerky? Has anyone done it with liver? Can you give me any advice?
Call me what you want! lol I will check out the link, thanks.

I've heard of someone putting oxtail in the broth, I wish I could remember the outcome!
I'm planning on trying to dry out the liver like jerky. For some reason it seems like I'd be able to eat it better like that. We'll see.

#7 ·
Hmmm... I have a mystery something or other lurking in my freezer that needs to be dealth with. I think it's oxtail, or maybe tongue? Not sure, and I'm procrastinating on using it.

As for cereal, we eat a very small amount, like maybe a couple of bowlsful once a month. For that, I either encourage the Ezekial cereal (food for life) or let them choose a non-NT organic variety. Served with raw cow's milk or homemade yogurt, of course!

#8 ·
I'm feeling kind of yucky today- after cleaning up DS puke all day today and yesterday I think I might be catching what he has.
At least he seems to be on the mend.

Tonight's dinner is a big pot of chicken soup- I added water, carrots, potatoes, celery, an onion, parsley, and garlic to the soup from the other day and I'm letting it simmer. It's all I'm in the mood for anyway. If the kids want to eat something else, they're on their own!

#9 ·
My first two attempts were abject failures. First I made the rye bread (with the sourdough starter) and it was like a brick. Then I made challah (again with the starter) and instead of rising, it expanded outward so it was flat instead of risen. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I am good at making yeast breads, at least the last time I checked, but I am having a terrible time with the sourdough starter breads.

#11 ·
Well, the first one, I'm trying to remember, I think I let it soak and ferment for like 24+ hours, then kneaded it, then put it in the bread pan, then let it rise for about 12+ hours, and it never really rose.

The challah I let the sponge ferment 12+ hours (overnight), then added the flours and let it rise (it never doubled) for several hours, then kneaded it and divided it into three and braided it, then let it rise for like 3 hours and it expanded sideways but not up. Then I baked it because I was afraid it was going to get even flatter. It's quite dense and sour. I also used several flours: the starter was rye, then spelt, oat and barley flours were added.

#14 ·
I am new to fermenting but i started with souring some raw milk to get quark and whey. That turned out good and the kids ate the quark up real fast. I then made some beet kvass and it turned out awful. I used the recipe from NT and it was very salty. Does anyone have a better recipe they could share?

I also made some sourkraut. It is on its 2nd week of fermenting. I eat it but after my teeth are very sensitive (even breathing with my mouth open hurts them). I have had to start using sensodyne toothpaste. Is this a common problem? Is the kraut an acidic food?

#15 ·
There are a few sourdough threads in this forum that go into way more detail than Wild Fermentation. To create a good starter, I took out half the flour-water mixture each day and replaced it with fresh. To avoid wasting food, I mixed the "sort of starter" with commercial yeast to make bread. After 3 or 4 days I didn't need to add any more yeast (but then I forgot to keep feeding the starter and I wound up with "sourdough ended.
)

#17 ·
Hi! I am back from the edges of the evil-death-flu to pick up where I left off on learning more about NT. Got lots of Qs!

1. Anyone have trouble getting organic, grass fed meats? Anyone use mail order? What should I be expecting to pay for this? How do you find cuts that include bones for broth? What is the lingo for asking about broth meat/bones?

2. I know I have asked this Q in a couple of forms, but is cooking with dairy a no-no? Like for instance, casseroles? Is there any nutritional benefit to eating cheese in a caserrole?

3. Again, asked before but am still undecided.....if you could not get raw dairy, would you still eat dairy (assuming you can get organic)?

4. I have been working on my sourdough expertise. I finally made a couple of loaves that are edible. They are still pretty flat and VERY dense but at least they are not suitable for using as pavers liek the other ones I have made are. Since the dough is rising overnight, is that grain considered "soaked"?

5. What is "cream". So many recipes call for heavy cream. I do not see "cream" in the dairy case. If it is in so many recipes (and not just in the nT book) why can I not find it? I do not even see it in the regular grocery. I see "whipping cream". What is the difference? Am I looking in the wrong spot? Could I use a cultured product in it's place? Like yogurt or viila?

6. What is the deal with sour cream? It is one of the things I loved to eat the most before I went vegan. But I do not see it discussed or used in the NT book. Is there a reason?

7. Does anyone know of a pre-prepared broth that is suitable?

8. Why CLO? I keep seeing it discussed here. Why do you use it?

9. Oils. I still use olive oil for stir frying. I never go above medium heat. Am I still doing something bad to the oil by using it heated? Should I be using butter instead?

I could go on and on..... I will be back with more
I need my own personal NT counselor. Anyone want to move in?

#18 ·
I am now more than three months into an NT diet and am feeling pretty confident about preparing meats and grains and fermented and cultured foods. However, I am struggling a little bit with proportions. I don't seem to have a good handle on how much meat to eat (I have been vegetarian for the last 16 years). It is my intuitive sense that traditional diets probably used meat much more sparingly than the SAD.

So, how often and how much meat are your families eating in a typical week?

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
So, how often and how much meat are your families eating in a typical week?
I wondered this too. we currently eat one serving of beef and one serving of chicken weekly. That is all the organic we can afford. We also have broth made from them a few times a week.

Yooper-CLO is cod liver oil. It has many health benefits (someone else may be able to fill you in better than me). We use it because we all have eczema that it clears up, asthma it helps keep under control, and is high in Omega 3s. I also had PPD after DD1 was born and so I started taking it when pregnant this time to help cut down on that.

Also I am wanting to make some bread, but have not had good luck with recipes I have tried. Can someone post or PM me a recipe that they know and love!! thanks

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper

3. Again, asked before but am still undecided.....if you could not get raw dairy, would you still eat dairy (assuming you can get organic)?
Increasingly, no, but I have access. I have relied on pasteurized dairy in the past for cultured products and those products seemed to help with my yeast problems.

Quote:
4. I have been working on my sourdough expertise. I finally made a couple of loaves that are edible. They are still pretty flat and VERY dense but at least they are not suitable for using as pavers liek the other ones I have made are. Since the dough is rising overnight, is that grain considered "soaked"?
Yes, traditional sourdough recipes break down the phytates. The bacteria in the starter works on the grains while it's rising. I make sweet breads using the same strategy -- let the batter stew with the starter (minus the baking soda) for six + hours, add soda, and bake. Actually we hardly ever eat these, so I am acting like I know what I am talking about, but that is what I do when I make breads like gingerbread or if I should ever make a pumpkin bread or such, I would do that.

Quote:
5. What is "cream". So many recipes call for heavy cream. I do not see "cream" in the dairy case. If it is in so many recipes (and not just in the nT book) why can I not find it? I do not even see it in the regular grocery. I see "whipping cream". What is the difference? Am I looking in the wrong spot? Could I use a cultured product in it's place? Like yogurt or viila?
It's the whipping cream. I do substitute regular milk for cream when I'm out of cream. It's just less rich and a little more liquid.

Quote:
6. What is the deal with sour cream? It is one of the things I loved to eat the most before I went vegan. But I do not see it discussed or used in the NT book. Is there a reason?
Good question. I haven't thought about sour cream in a long time. Sounds good.

Quote:
8. Why CLO? I keep seeing it discussed here. Why do you use it?
The omega 3s in it are essential for your health. There are other sources as well, but CLO comes prepackaged with vit A and D as a bonus. Weston Price used it with his patients.

Quote:
9. Oils. I still use olive oil for stir frying. I never go above medium heat. Am I still doing something bad to the oil by using it heated? Should I be using butter instead?
It really depends on how heat sensitive the oil is. What do you use?

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper
Another Q

Where does tuna fit into a NT diet. It is the only fish I used to like. I am thinking fish would be a good intro into meats again. What should I be looking for?
The problem is the mercury content and then if it's canned, there's the metals in the can. Do you mean fresh tuna or canned? I always think of canned when I think of tuna and now I suddenly want a tuna sandwich. Look at what you are doing to me with your questions -- tuna, sour cream, whipped cream. It must be time to eat.

#23 ·
Yooper --

I found reasonably-priced organic/grass fed meat "through the grapevine." Try asking at local health food stores -- my friend found one of her sources (now mine too) that way.

Cooking with dairy -- this depends. NT does have a pudding recipe in the back, that is cooked dairy, but she recommends using it only very occasionally. Cooking doesn't do as much damage as pasteurization. For adding cream/dairy to soups, the recommendation is to do it after the heat is turned off. Warming is OK. For a casserole, I would feel comfortable adding dairy if the recipe called for it, but I would experiment with cooking it at a lower temp for longer. You can also add cheese at the last minute to *just* melt it, not cook it.

We're not getting raw dairy at the moment, but I still keep store-bought milk in the house. The kids love it and hate coconut milk. I try to make most of their dairy consumption be in the form of yoghurt, though.

I *think* you can substitute whipping cream for cream, but check the label -- I have seen some with sweetener and thickener in it. Half and half would probably work for recipes that call for cream -- it is half cream and half milk, I think. Be careful, because cream is often ultra pasteurized. You could sub a cultured product -- in savory dishes, I often sub sour cream for cream. It's usually just to add thickness and richness.

Sour cream in NT -- I think she uses creme fraiche in place of sour cream. You could use sour cream instead, I think.

I use CLO because it is an excellent vitamin source. Both my and dh's heritage is northern european, and they relied heavily on fish. We don't eat so much fish and I think the CLO helps. We also live somewhat north ourselves (about the 45th parallel) and our vit D is limited, between about 8 months of winter it seems
and covering up in the summer.

Oil -- I think as long as you don't heat it too much, heating olive oil is fine. Personally, I don't care for the taste of it cooked. I tend to use butter for frying -- nice because it keeps me from making things too hot -- or lard. Lard is nice because it is cheaper, and it is nicer for frying things that I want crisper because it will get hotter before it burns. I don't like it for eggs -- they come out crispy when I use lard. I also like it in some baking, except that when I melt it, it becomes quite hot, and if the batter has eggs, it will start to cook the eggs a bit! Maybe for stir fries you could also try coconut oil? It is saturated fat, so not so delicate, right?

#24 ·
re: oxtail
OMG, oxtail is AWESOME. It makes the nuttiest, richest stock. You can either make the oxtail barley soup from NT, or I make it Korean-style. Check this page out for pics/recipe (though I usually add more veggies in the soup like daikon radish, carrot, etc)
http://thedeliciouslife.blogspot.com...gom-tahng.html

-DH and DD get non-homog. organic milk that they turn into 24-hour yogurt, and organic butter. I am currently dairy free as it does bad things to my nose.

re: meat amounts
When I first converted, I only ate about 1/4 lb a day at the most and relied on bone broths more often. Then I started experimenting with amounts and found out that I felt better having more meat in my diet. Right now I'm fluctuating between 1-3 servings a day, though they are never big servings like a giant steak. Most of the time they are cut up small like in stir-fry. It is never the focus of the meal, more like a side dish along with copious amounts of vegetables. I always try to have some sort of animal protein with my meals as I am mostly grain-free, but sometimes this means eggs instead of meat.

I think it just depends on how well your body is absorbing nutrients, some people will require more meat than others. Also, I've heard from some nutritional practitioners that many ex-veg people have difficulty digesting meats when they first switch due to their bodies not producing enough HCl in their stomachs. They have made themselves hypochlorydric due to a lack of b-vitamins and zinc. So you can test yourself using the baking soda test I posted last month and/or supplementing with HCl/pepsin. Read about reversing hypochlorhydria here: http://www.drdebe.com/REVLWHCL.htm

-Stir-frying: I use lard, palm oil, coconut oil, and olive oil in that order of preference. Olive oil is so dang expensive that I like to keep it raw for salad dressings. The saturated fats are more heat-stable. Lard is my fat of choice right now (pastured of course).

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by missi66
My sourdough recipe says if the bread goes out instead of up it needs more flour and more kneading.Something about better forming the gluten.
Thank you! I'll try that this time - I'm trying yet again - I have all these bags of flour, I'm bound to succeed eventually, right?
:

#26 ·
re: cooking with dairy
I say if you're getting pasteurized, you're better off cooking the milk before consuming it. Pasteurization makes the proteins incompletely cooked (twisted) which are supposedly very difficult to digest. Once you fully cook it, then it becomes digestible. So we always boil our pasteurized non-homog. milk before turning it into yogurt.

When we had access to raw milk, we never cooked it. Only inoculated it with yogurt starter and fermented at 100 deg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.