rye sourdough bread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-13-2006, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am hooked on this bread. Does anyone know how to make something similar? Here's the info from the website.

French Meadow Bakery 100% RYE WITH SUNFLOWER SEEDS
Ingredients:
*Organic Rye Flour, Natural Spring Water, Sourdough Culture (Rye Flour and Water), Sunflower Seeds, Salt.

I've never made bread before. It would need to be wheat and yeast free. Anyone have any recipes or advice for me?

Thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 04-13-2006, 01:21 PM

I am going to get technical here but sourdough culture is heterogeneous (sp?) yeast while the yeast most people associate with baking is homogeneous yeast. I can give you an outline for this recipe but I do not have an exact one.

After replenish your sourdough, remove some for next time, add about 1 1/2 c. water. Add 2 teaspoons salt (or more) Mix in 1/2 - 1 C sunflower seeds. Mix in 3 + cups of rye flour until you have a soft dough. Wetter is better then dryer. Knead for 20 minutes. Let have a bulk fermentation for about three hours with folding (similar to punch down) once if not twice depending on the strength of your dough. Shape. Let rise for a couple hours. Bake for an hour at about 375. If you want a crusty crust, add steam.

With those ingrededients, that is the basic recipe.

Have fun experimenting! It is what I do with sourdough and levains, especially since they do not like where I live compared to where I used to live!
#3 of 3 Old 04-13-2006, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

thank you very much!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page