sourdough recipes & wild starters! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 516 Old 06-07-2007, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I want to know if you all are still having luck with your sourdough?

I have read every single post in this thread and I am excited about the starter I began on Tuesday. It's bubbly and smells good already! I'm going to feed it for a few more days and then get to baking.

So, how goes it? Any new recipes to share using your sourdough starter?
#362 of 516 Old 08-21-2007, 11:09 AM

Okay... I am totally reviving this thread!!! This is so cool! I've only read about half of it, but I think the knowledge here is indispensable.

Inspired by this thread I set out my first jar of ww flour/water to "catch" yesterday. I wake up this morning to find that is had barfed all over my window sill! In the ninety some-odd degree weather and the super spores floating around my kitchen, it must have gotten off to a fab start. Added a bit more white flour/water/bit of honey <-Totally experimenting and making it up as I go along. Will try it out in a few days... Baked in the sun using my solar reflector.
#363 of 516 Old 08-21-2007, 08:49 PM

Tell me all about your solar reflector! That's so totally my idea of self-sufficiency!

And yeah, catching yeast is way easier in warm weather. My 65 degree kitchen was too cold in the summer! And now I have to keep it in the fridge most of the time because it just grows like crazy in my 80 degree kitchen.
#364 of 516 Old 08-22-2007, 09:48 AM

My solar reflector is freakin' awesome! I love it! DP and I made it ourselves, following the instructions in a book we bought(though I'm sure we could have found them on-line for free, silly DP ). We just took some cardboard and cut it into the right shape, and then glued aluminum foil to one side. So easy! We put it out on our super sunny patio around 10 or eleven in the morning and usually by four or five we are ready to eat. We use a little black enameled camp pot with lid inside a turkey roasting bag. We've only had it a couple of weeks but we've made potatoes, beans, squash, soup. I'm dying to bake in it. Our kitchen is on the southern side of the house(patio side, where it gets SOOO hot) and it's unbearable to be in there cooking, let alone baking. That things works great! The little pot gets really really hot... Like totally hot enough to cook. Whoddathunkit?

So... I've got some questions on my sourdough starter. This is full-day two(started it the night before last) of it's life, and it smells pretty... Smelly. Kinda cheesy actually. Is that okay? And how long does it take for it to be usable... It smells, and is bubbly... Is there a time period I should be waiting, or is that the criteria it needs to meet to be usable?
#365 of 516 Old 08-22-2007, 04:39 PM

If it's smelly & bubbly already, what I would try is split it in half. Feed half with some more flour & water & leave it out to carry on fermenting. Use the other half to make a starter sponge & try making some bread. IME, it takes a few loaves to get it right anyways so you may as well experiment.

I have a question with the solar reflector. Do you just have a box lined with tin foil & a black pot ? Or does the box have a layer of insulation in it & a glass lid too ?
#366 of 516 Old 08-22-2007, 09:39 PM

Very cool... I think I am going to start a sponge with half of it tonight. It is very bubbly. I'm all about experimenting.

As for our solar cooker... When you have the insulated box with a glass lid, that's usually referred to as a solar oven, I believe. We couldn't find a cheap piece of glass the right size, so we just made a reflector panel. We use a black pot, and set it inside an oven bag which does the whole "greenhouse effect" thing and traps in the heat. It works AMAZINGLY well. I made chili today. I like the thought of baking in it... I've heard that cooking starches at very high temps releases carcinogens. With the solar panel cooker temps won't go over 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Of course it will take longer to bake, but I don't have to worry about my bread burning if I forget about it. I'm a little concerned about the crustiness of my crust... But we'll just have to see how it goes.

ETA: Our reflector really isn't a box either... More like a angular bowl-ish shape... Pretty shallow in terms of depth. Maybe I'll try and post a pic.
#367 of 516 Old 08-26-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post

So. I've noticed over the last two weeks that my starter has gotten progressively stinky and really intense... the starter seems to be less bubbly, and I'm seeing more liquid collect at the top- dark, fermented liquid. And over the last three days, there's this yucky thing collecting on the top of the liquid- that stringy yeasty stuff. I've been feeding it, and stirring it, but it just seems to get stinky and lapses into a liquidy state quicker. It still works. But now with this stringy yeasty stuff collecting on top, I'm not overly anxious to use it. I need to use it soon, though, or start a new one!
We had a starter that was starting to smell like really bad body odor so I added a good amount of yogurt to it figuring that the good bugs in the yogurt would eat up all of the bad stuff in the starter. It worked great. I figured that the lacto bugs in the yogurt would die out after they ran out of food and the starter is still going strong so it must have worked.
#368 of 516 Old 09-03-2007, 04:13 PM

I love buckwheat pancakes...do the yeasties in sourdough like buckwheat?

I am on day 5 of this starter...

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/233

It appears to be working, but it hasn't been particularly enthusiastic yet.

Kathleen
#369 of 516 Old 09-08-2007, 10:46 PM

Great thread! Mucho information. I have read thru it twice now!

Now I have a question. Is there a way to use a recipe for ingredients, and then change the way it is put together? Say, the Sourdough Buckwheat Pancake recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sourdou...es/Detail.aspx

In this recipe the starter is put in along with the other ingredients, and then baked. Could it be made as a sponge with the flour, and then sit overnight, then add the rest of the ingredients in the morning and fry?

Thanks for any ideas on this.
Bette
#370 of 516 Old 09-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Okay, wow, what a thread.

I have a couple questions:

first, is there a liink to the baked oatmeal? I'd love to try that....

second, I inherited a SD starter from my mom that's a few years old. I am pretty sure she started it from yeast, and it works pretty well. Is there any reason (NT speaking) to start up a new one? Other than just variety, which I've been thinking of anyways, or ordering one from Ed Woods' site.

ALso, wanted to add that there are very specific directions for the red grape starter in Nancy Silverton's book on bread...from the La Brea bakery. I actually went through it and finally gave up....though I did make the starter. Her directions were a bit daunting though I now wish I at least would've done more experimenting after all that work.

anyway thanks contributors...it's so inspiring to read....and spend time with other fermentation geeks. What a passion huh?
#371 of 516 Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 PM

It took me a few days, but I read through this entire thread!

I failed at my first few attempts to catch yeast for my starter on my countertop.... so last weekend I started a new sponge and added a couple of baby grapes off of our vines and BOOM woke up to a terrificly bubbling sponge! YAY! So.... I continued to read the thread and take in advice and I think what has helped the most is not being discouraged when my first few attempts come out less than perfect

I just did a basic sourdough recipe using some WW and some un-bleached. I wish I had read the last few pages here before I finished kneading it because now I'm thinking I may not have added enough salt. Guess I'll find out!

I made sourdough pancakes for our whole family this morning (from a recipe earlier in this thread). They were the BEST pancakes I've ever had! I'm completely new at all of this and I'm already addicted. Our entire family (4 generations) ate them all up as soon as they came off the griddle. NO LEFTOVERS (and I made HEAPS of them!)

So I'm letting my loaf set overnight, and then bake it in the morning. OR should I punch it down and bake it tomorrow evening?

OceanMomma your posts have helped me imensely. ha then I noticed the dates of your early posts on this thread and WOW this is a long-lived thread! LOVE IT!

I'll be back tomorrow to report on my FIRST loaf

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#372 of 516 Old 09-11-2007, 04:21 PM

I did it! I have a successfull FIRST LOAF! It is awesome! I'm totally hooked. My husband said it is the best bread he has ever had awwww what a nice husband. haha. But really, it is excellent. THANK YOU to everyone that posted and helped me through.

Here it is:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s/DSC07195.jpg

Cheers!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#373 of 516 Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 PM

It looks great. What recipe did you use?
#374 of 516 Old 09-12-2007, 02:28 PM

I used the book Wild Fermentation as my guide and then altered it's advice a bit to use the expertise of the posters on this thread

So I started my sponge with 2 cups whole wheat flour and 2 cups water, mixed it every day until it started to bubble (5 days for me) then fed it a bit of flour for a few more days until it was really good and bubbly. Then I turned that into a bowl, added enough ww and unbleached flour to make it into kneading consistency, kneaded it for 15 mins (being careful not to add too much flour, just enough to make it not stick) and then put in an oiled bowl where it doubled in size overnight. THEN I pounded and kneaded it a teeny bit and then put it in a oiled flat clay dish, let it rise for 7 or 8 hours again and baked it at 400F for 10 mins, then 350F for about 40. VOILA!

Very fun. Like I said, I'm hooked!

I'm trying a loaf of mostly rye next.

#375 of 516 Old 09-13-2007, 11:35 PM

Wow, after several days of reading bit by bit, I got through this whole thread! I had a great starter when I lived in South-East Asia for about a year, but since I've been back in Canada, I've just been baking bread with yeast. I'm inspired by all of your experiences to give it another try. I've been a bit hesitant, because I had such good luck my first time there, I'm scared it won't work well here. In fact, I did make one attempt a couple months ago, which did not work well.

I think I'll start a starter in the next few days. I should do it soon, while the weather isn't too cold yet. With so many success stories here, I've got to give it another try!

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#376 of 516 Old 09-14-2007, 01:27 AM

Thanks Erinz for posting your process. I have some xeroxed Wild Fermentation. I will flip through it again.

I also bought some teff flour today and am excited to try Injera....We love it. I hope I can replicate something sort of good!
#377 of 516 Old 09-14-2007, 01:24 PM

I'm so happy this was bumped!!! I need to get a starter going while its warm, because soon it will be cold enough for baking!!! I use the oven as little as possible in the summertime.

OT: but the recipe for the no knead bread turned out really well too. I'll see if I can find that to bump.
#378 of 516 Old 09-14-2007, 07:29 PM

I finally get to join the group of "it took me several days to read through this whole inspiring thread"

We can't do wheat here because of my DD's allergies, but she's been tolerating spelt, so I'm trying to make a wild starter using spelt flour. I followed the directions in my Joy of Cooking cookbook which involves feeding it every 12-15 hours over several days. I've only fed it once so far, but it seems to be going in the right direction...

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#379 of 516 Old 09-15-2007, 12:33 AM

Naomi I just kneaded my first loaf of spelt tonight. I used my existing sponge (or mother) of wheat and added it. I will be curious to hear how your spelt mother starts. I have to say that spelt is a very luxurious grain... I love kneading it, I think as kneading goes it is my favorite so far. Here is my spelt loaf rising in the bowl tonight before it gets punched and kneaded slightly and put into it's baking pan for the night:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s/DSC07279.jpg

#380 of 516 Old 09-15-2007, 02:33 AM

My spelt starter definitely had bubbles tonight when I fed it, not a ton, but definitely bubbles. I did this in the kitchen

I'll definitely post updates. It seemed in earlier posts to this thread people didn't have good luck with spelt. Since its all we can do, I'm hoping to find a way to make it work!

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#381 of 516 Old 09-15-2007, 11:38 AM

FWIW, I tried several times to make a good starter from spelt flour, and never could get it going. It would make one or two batches, and then quit. I made it exactly like the wheat and rye starters, to no avail. I've made good bread with spelt, though, for whatever reason. Good luck. I'd love to hear how your spelt starter turns out.
#382 of 516 Old 09-16-2007, 12:12 AM

OOh, makes me excited to try my new spelt flour I bought.

Question for those more knowledgeable than I: is it a waste to use sprouted flours in SD starter recipes?

Should I save it for other baked goods? I"m excited to try it.

TIA!
#383 of 516 Old 09-17-2007, 02:26 AM

I've been studiously avoiding this thread as we are now gluten free. I'm Ok about it until I think about decent home baked sourdough : So my question is has anyone sucessfully caught, kept & baked with a GF culture? I guess the other thing that bugs me is not many of these GF grains will grow where I am. It is heading for summer here so I am going to try the jar of flour outside, it's just what type of flour(s) to put in it I need to work out.
#384 of 516 Old 09-17-2007, 01:15 PM

I've been reading through this thread and gleaning info here and there......
I have been baking sourdough since April and it started out great and now I am baking bricks. By bricks I mean my bread rises very little in my loaf pan and when it reaches the edge of the pan it glops down over the side instead of rising in a nice puffy shape. I have been using wheat more than white and that could be it. I also use the autolyse method. Anyone tried that? You mix the flour and water and let it rest for 30 min and then add the starter and salt and rise for 24 hours, punch, 5 more hours, and then proof in the pan.

I need to rethink my methods I guess. My bricks are still tasty but not the desired result. The only time I ever baked PERFECT bread was on a day that was so hot that we went to the beach and I forgot about my dough and let it rise way too long. It was light fluffy and perfectly sour. I wish I could recreate that day!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#385 of 516 Old 09-17-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
FWIW, I tried several times to make a good starter from spelt flour, and never could get it going. It would make one or two batches, and then quit. I made it exactly like the wheat and rye starters, to no avail. I've made good bread with spelt, though, for whatever reason. Good luck. I'd love to hear how your spelt starter turns out.
Mine is bubbly so far and smells sour, but it isn't really raising much. I'm going to try to continue feeding it on my counter for a while longer. I'm not sure whether to try to turn it into bread just to see what happens or to be more patient and wait. I really hate to throw any of it away so I may try to use it to make pancakes first since those don't need strong yeasts to raise and be successful.

#386 of 516 Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 AM

subbing
#387 of 516 Old 09-18-2007, 09:50 AM

I am in the need of a starter!

Anyone know of a reputable place to purchase one? I saw the one in the King Arthur flour catalog. What do y'all think of that?

Oh, adn this may sound dumb...but I am looking for a mini-loaf type of recipe for regular bread. Not sweet breads.

I only cook for my husband, myself and my business partner (well, lunch at work). We NEVER go through a loaf of bread in a week. ACK!

Mrs B
#388 of 516 Old 09-18-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbernstein View Post

Anyone know of a reputable place to purchase one? I saw the one in the King Arthur flour catalog. What do y'all think of that?
I have had good luck with my starter from Carl's Friends. Supposedly it's a starter that dates back to the Oregon Trail. They just ask you to send a SASE, although you can enclose a donation if you choose.
#389 of 516 Old 09-18-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma View Post
I've been studiously avoiding this thread as we are now gluten free. I'm Ok about it until I think about decent home baked sourdough : So my question is has anyone sucessfully caught, kept & baked with a GF culture? I guess the other thing that bugs me is not many of these GF grains will grow where I am. It is heading for summer here so I am going to try the jar of flour outside, it's just what type of flour(s) to put in it I need to work out.

OM, there was a thread in the TF section about making GF sourdough. I can't remember who started it, but it turned into quite a long treatise on the subject. Perhaps a search would turn it up.
#390 of 516 Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbernstein View Post

Oh, adn this may sound dumb...but I am looking for a mini-loaf type of recipe for regular bread. Not sweet breads.

I only cook for my husband, myself and my business partner (well, lunch at work). We NEVER go through a loaf of bread in a week. ACK!

Mrs B
You could just make a smaller loaf. You don't have to make it a huge one like you purchase in the store. Just use a smaller pan, make two smaller loaves, and freeze what you don't need to eat right away.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page