sourdough recipes & wild starters! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2008, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's done!!! It came out pretty dense, but edible. Yay! Next time I will add even more salt.

I just wish it would rise more and be fluffier. How do I accomplish this? I am using 100% whole wheat flour, FWIW.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 PM

Okay, after thinking it over, I think I still added too much flour-- and then had a dough that was tough and hard to knead, so didn't knead it enough. Next time I will try kneading longer with a softer dough-- adding less flour and more salt and starter.

Even though my bread is edible, it isn't tempting. We've all tasted it, but no one really wants to eat it. I might try using it for French toast. The dinner rolls I tried to make didn't work out well just because the crust is SO dense for a dinner roll! Too dense. So I will probably tear those up and use for bread pudding. But I am getting closer and closer to my goal!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 AM

bump!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:57 AM

I am now a sourdough master. We have it every week and my starter has been going since August. :

Two things that make bread more awesome.

1: The french bread pan from Williams-Sonoma. I've made bread on a baking sheet, stoneware, in a stone bread baker, and on the WS bread pan, which has lots of tiny holes along the bottom. My best bread comes from that pan.

2: No knead dough. I make some up, shorting it by one cup of flour to make a sticky dough, and leave it in the fridge for 24 hours. Then I warm it up for 30 minutes, shape it and bake it with ice cubes for steam, nothing else added to the crust. I always get the best texture that, to me, is better than what I get at the store.

I make a really big batch, enough for 8 loaves, and then I'm set for the whole week.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:58 PM

bumping again - so much good info!

I should probably be doing something else right now.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:19 AM

I started my first starter last week. Well, at first it smelt yeasty, then like weak beer. Then, we went out of town so I refridged it. Now, I wondered what the liquid on top was. (It's hooch) and what to do with it (I stirred it back in). Then I took some out of the stored batch adn mixed it with fresh water (filtered tap) and organic ww flour (bulk from Whole Foods). How long unitl I can make bread?:

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 PM

finally finished reading this whole thing!
so, i have been making sourdough rye bread, cracker, and pancakes for a month. i am getting hang of it now.
if you have ANY recipe (not only bread but all kinds!), please share!
i am loving my sourdough!
Old 05-02-2009, 05:15 AM

I'm gonna try bread with it cuz it has risen!! It's alive!! I'm looking for a no-knead recipe (I'm lazy)

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 PM

You can try "stretch & fold." Here is a good description. It is less labor intensive, but requires a little more time. I find it very flexible & effective.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:33 PM

[
2: No knead dough. I make some up, shorting it by one cup of flour to make a sticky dough, and leave it in the fridge for 24 hours. Then I warm it up for 30 minutes, shape it and bake it with ice cubes for steam, nothing else added to the crust. I always get the best texture that, to me, is better than what I get at the store.

I make a really big batch, enough for 8 loaves, and then I'm set for the whole week.[/QUOTE]

Do you mind explaining this more and adding the recipe that you use? I have done no knead bread and have the ny times recipe and artisan bread in 5 minutes a day, but i have not succeed with using this method with my starter.

Thanks in advance!
Jen
Old 05-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenh View Post

Do you mind explaining this more and adding the recipe that you use? I have done no knead bread and have the ny times recipe and artisan bread in 5 minutes a day, but i have not succeed with using this method with my starter.

Thanks in advance!
Jen
Check this out for video tutorial, tips and instructions on making awesome no knead sourdough!

http://www.breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-method/

HTH!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 05-04-2009, 02:00 PM

thanks, i will check it out!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM

My no knead flopped I know what I did wrong. I went to sleep <yawn>

Old 05-04-2009, 11:31 PM

Another thing to add to my to-do list! My last sourdough starter was soooo sour. My family wasn't really enjoying it. I want to start another batch and see if it will turn out better. Any tips to keep it from being so sour tasting? It was pretty much mouth-puckering!

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM

I used this recipe for no-knead with great success. The top was a bit dark, but my oven runs hot, I think. Next time I'm going to put a piece of foil over the top during the second half of baking.

I need to brag about my starter. I found this old tattered Sunset guide to bread, and it talks about how settlers in the west made starters with milk. I had some slightly sour raw milk in the fridge, so I mixed 1 cup of rye flour with 1 cup sour milk in a glass bowl and covered it with a dish cloth for a day. It was bubbly and sour smelling within a day. After that, I fed it with two tbsp AP flour and a little water every day. That's all I do to feed it. I replenish it after a recipe with maybe a half cop each flour and water the first day, then go back to the regular feeding schedule. I WOULD NOT TRY THIS WITH PASTEURIZED MILK. I think it would go BAD rather than sour.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmann View Post
I mixed 1 cup of rye flour with 1 cup sour milk in a glass bowl and covered it with a dish cloth for a day.
I wonder if this would work with cultured buttermilk. Any thoughts?

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmann View Post
I need to brag about my starter. I found this old tattered Sunset guide to bread, and it talks about how settlers in the west made starters with milk. I had some slightly sour raw milk in the fridge, so I mixed 1 cup of rye flour with 1 cup sour milk in a glass bowl and covered it with a dish cloth for a day. It was bubbly and sour smelling within a day. After that, I fed it with two tbsp AP flour and a little water every day. That's all I do to feed it. I replenish it after a recipe with maybe a half cop each flour and water the first day, then go back to the regular feeding schedule. I WOULD NOT TRY THIS WITH PASTEURIZED MILK. I think it would go BAD rather than sour.
That was how I made my first starter, which was amazing! We were living in SE Asia at the time, and I used powdered milk. It worked amazingly. There were no options for fresh milk there.

Yesterday I got a new starter going, with whole wheat flour and water. I'm looking forward to experimenting with it after not having a sourdough starter for a while.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyn View Post
Another thing to add to my to-do list! My last sourdough starter was soooo sour. My family wasn't really enjoying it. I want to start another batch and see if it will turn out better. Any tips to keep it from being so sour tasting? It was pretty much mouth-puckering!
mine got like that, i tried to remedy it by dumping most of it and then reviving a smaller amount, maybe about 1/2 cup. it seems better, but has only been a few days, i will let you know. i think my problem is that i like to leave mine on the counter. i am hoping that reviving it and then putting in the fridge will help.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
joining you all. i loves the sourdoough. thanks for the recipes all.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:12 AM

Is it totally wierd to have bread envy? I just started baking the family bread. Now I want to do sourdough! How often do you all bake? I try for once a week.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 05-26-2009, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i try for once a week too.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:35 AM

well last week i tried again to catch some wild yeast. this time instead of rye i used kamut flour, since that is what i use to make bread. i followed the wild fermentation suggestions. then i made a sourdough no knead bread, which i baked today. it came out very flat. i think it rose too long (i had left the house) in the second rise and collapsed when i poured it into the pan. but it had alot more holes then i've been getting with the 100% kamut no knead bread i've been making. the taste is good. i'm eager to try again next week. or maybe i'll try some pancakes or biscuits with it sonner.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 PM

I've been using the NT recipe for a few years and it makes a good sourdough spelt. Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to sub the spelt with buckwheat. The recipe requires a lot of starter, about 6 cups of starter to 8 cups of flour, so there would be significant amounts of rye in the dough as well as the buckwheat. But I've read that the lack of gluten in the buckwheat makes it difficult to work with. Any experienced bread bakers have any thoughts on this? Would it work?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:51 PM

I love my starter and I use it to make bread twice a week. Mine is a 100% whole wheat but can be converted into white or rye starter with a little bit of preparation. I make sourdough sandwich loaves and my family loves them. My friends ask me to bake a few extra loaves so they can buy from me. I make three to four extra loaves each week, not for the money but for the fun of making sourdough breads. It's really worth the time.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
I wonder if this would work with cultured buttermilk. Any thoughts?
I think it would work. It would be worth the experiment, anyway.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althetrainer View Post
I love my starter and I use it to make bread twice a week. Mine is a 100% whole wheat but can be converted into white or rye starter with a little bit of preparation. I make sourdough sandwich loaves and my family loves them. My friends ask me to bake a few extra loaves so they can buy from me. I make three to four extra loaves each week, not for the money but for the fun of making sourdough breads. It's really worth the time.

would you share your recipe? i have been experimenting with ww sourdough bread recipes and still have not found one that we love.
thanks!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 AM

Ok, so though I've been into TF for 3 years this is my first attempt at sourdough (I usually just bought sprouted grain bread).

Is there such thing as it being TOO warm for the culture? My kitchen is literally 85 degrees in the summer blah. I used the Wild Fermentation recipe and it said it usually takes 3-4 days to bubble. Mine started bubbling in 8 hours. The next day it rose alot and looked nice and smelled decent. I started feeding it then, which was yesterday. Today it was flat but still bubbly, covered with dark liquid and smells stinky/bad. I fed it again but don't know about it.

Should I keep it going? Shouldn't it have a pleasant even if strong sour smell, not smell like it's rotting? Could my starter really have been ready in like 8 hours and should I have just used it then?

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:51 AM

If activity starts before 3-4 days, it is likely a different (& not good) bacteria that is causing the bubbling. Esp. if it rises super high & then quits the next day or so. If you keep up the feeding & discarding, you have a good chance of overwhelming the bad bacteria & getting a good starter going. Using rye to start the starter is supposed to help avoid this initial onslaught of bad bacteria.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 AM

Today it smells good again...so I am thinking it is ok again?

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:35 AM

What is the point of discarding? I just added small amounts each day instead of adding lots and then throwing some out. It seemed like such a waste.

User Tag List