sourdough recipes & wild starters! - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 516 Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you're starting a starter, you may need the larger amounts to overwhelm any unwanted bacteria. After your starter is established you no longer discard, but bake with the "discards."

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#512 of 516 Old 06-09-2009, 03:27 AM

well i've made two loaves of sourdough now. the first one was a total brick and i fed it to the chickens. the second one was still brick shaped, but rose higher and was edible. though neither my dh or my dc liked it. i can't decide whether to try again this week. i like the idea of sourdough. any suggestions on how to make the bread less sour? shorter rise maybe? and would i shorten the first rise or the second rise?

right now i use cook illustrated's almost no knead bread recipe but with a 1/4 cup of starter instead of the yeast (well i leave out the beer and vinegar now too). i mix it up, let it sit overnight, sometime after breakfast i give it a quick knead (10x), then let it rise 3-4 hours. or 5 or 6. till i get around to baking it. last time instead of dumping it into the hot pan, i used parchment paper to gently drop it in.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#513 of 516 Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 PM

When I make bread, I use 1-2 cups of starter, not 1/4 cup. I don't know about anyone else, but my bread won't rise if I don't use a lot. I have read that you can add a Tbls of baking soda to neutralize the taste a little. But it really does need to rise at least double in size if not more before you bake it.

I spritz mine with olive oil before and after baking it, and that makes the crust less brick-like. I ran out of olive oil last night and my bread came out very crunchy. it was still good, but not AS good.
#514 of 516 Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
When I make bread, I use 1-2 cups of starter, not 1/4 cup. I don't know about anyone else, but my bread won't rise if I don't use a lot. I have read that you can add a Tbls of baking soda to neutralize the taste a little. But it really does need to rise at least double in size if not more before you bake it.

I spritz mine with olive oil before and after baking it, and that makes the crust less brick-like. I ran out of olive oil last night and my bread came out very crunchy. it was still good, but not AS good.

hmm... i will try more starter next time. when i made the CI no knead bread i would put it in an oiled bowl and roll it around for the second rise, and the crust was good. i'll try that again too. if i found a warm spot for my dough to rise in, so those my overall rise time was shorter (intead of 18-24 hours) would the bread be less sour?

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#515 of 516 Old 06-09-2009, 07:55 PM

My recipe calls for almost 5 cups of starter!
#516 of 516 Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
hmm... i will try more starter next time. when i made the CI no knead bread i would put it in an oiled bowl and roll it around for the second rise, and the crust was good. i'll try that again too. if i found a warm spot for my dough to rise in, so those my overall rise time was shorter (intead of 18-24 hours) would the bread be less sour?
The more starter you use, tghe less time you have to wait for a riser, though that in itself might increase the sour taste.

What I would do - and I'm no expert - is take 1/2 cup starter and add 3 cups of water and 3 cups flour, then wait for a few hours for the whole thing to get bubbly and happy and then proceed as usual using that. That way, it hasn't spent too long fermenting so you still have a lot of active starter without too much sour.

I LOVE the sour so I sually have at least 4 cups fermenting at any one given time so that I can add lots of sourness.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page