sourdough recipes & wild starters! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 516 Old 05-09-2006, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Carolyn,

From what I have read, it is really hard to get a 2nd rise out of sourdough. I am attempting my 5th loaf today, but this is the 2nd time I have only let it rise once. We'll see how it goes.

If you are using a yeast bread recipe, then you can let it rise twice.

Question:

When I make my sponge, if I don't catch it at the peak of bubbliness, will it still rise adequately?
#62 of 516 Old 05-09-2006, 04:21 PM

What I do is very simple. I think I wrote it out earlier in the thread. I definitely wouldn't bother kneading it for all that time. Just until it feels springy & then leave it to rise & bake. Some sourdoughs, such as 100% rye, don't double & some, like my wheat one, climb out of the bowl if you leave them overnight somewhere warm.

With the sponge, I leave it until it gets bubbly & I have time to make the bread. It's quite an inexact method but it always seems to work. I think it comes out a bit sourer if I leave the sponge longer but it still rises well.
#63 of 516 Old 05-09-2006, 06:02 PM

OK, I'm also a sourdough novice. I've been trying to get a starter going for about 5 days now. I don't see much bubbling. I'm just wondering if it's too cold in my house. It's been cool here and not much sun. Could that be the problem?
#64 of 516 Old 05-09-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawkins
OK, I'm also a sourdough novice. I've been trying to get a starter going for about 5 days now. I don't see much bubbling. I'm just wondering if it's too cold in my house. It's been cool here and not much sun. Could that be the problem?
Try it out! It's probably fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleep
Question:

When I make my sponge, if I don't catch it at the peak of bubbliness, will it still rise adequately?
I always make my sponge before going to bed, and then in the morning I replenish my starter and make my bread. You don't need to worry too much about being exact.
#65 of 516 Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 PM

well my attempts failed. I got a nice bricky dough shape.
My dad has now given me a bowl full of his "old recipe" starter. It contains flour, sugar, salt and MILK. It was on his counter, its kind of grey in color and smells, well, sour! I am sure this is from my mom's collection of recipes but therotten milk factor scares me......

whadda ya think?
#66 of 516 Old 05-10-2006, 04:55 PM

Go for it. Adding milk is one way to make a starter. The yeasties eat the sugar.

#67 of 516 Old 05-15-2006, 04:54 AM

Just bumping this thread coz I made some sourdough croissants & they were really good.

What I did was made my starter with organic white flour instead of WW flour. I then mixed in an egg, some honey & some salt & some more flour & kneaded it till I got a nice springy dough. I had melted together previously some raw butter & some EVCO which had cooled down & was set. I used this as the fat bit to go in the middle. Once I done all the folding & rolling & made them into crescent shapes, I left them to rise overnight in a cool place. Then I baked as per regular sourdough. They were really light & fluffy. yum!!!
#68 of 516 Old 05-21-2006, 12:05 AM

Bumping this because I want to see if I can "catch" some wild yeast around here! More later!
#69 of 516 Old 05-21-2006, 09:44 PM

Ok, I've been inspired. I made a starter, which has been bubbly on my counter. I've fed it twice, and it seems to be rising quite nicely. I would have liked to have made bread with it today, but things got rather busy. I'm thinking that I could perhaps make a sponge tomorrow night, then bake it on Tuesday.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about making a sponge. My understanding is that I just need to add flour and water to get a nice pancake-batter sort of consistency, and let it sit overnight. Is this all there is to it? It seems too simple!

Oceanmomma, thanks for posting here, it's been heaps of help reading through your posts!
#70 of 516 Old 05-22-2006, 12:42 AM

gardenmommy, I tend to make my sponge in the morning & leave it to get bubbly until the evening when dh is bathing the kids. I then add flour, a bit of salt & enuf water to make a bread dough. Knead it until springy & leave it overnight. I bake it the next morning. It never gets very warm where I live, neither does it get extrememly cold so it may work differently for somewhere hot/very cold. One of my friends puts her dough in the fridge overnight to rise to slow it down. I think the idea is for it to rise slowly so it keeps its shape when you cook it maybe?
#71 of 516 Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 PM

That is a good idea, it would probabaly work for me. My kitchen is warmer in the day, and cooler at night, since we really turn our heat down (or leave it off completely this time of year).

My question still remains, however. When I'm making a sponge, am I just adding enough flour and water to make a rather pancake-like consistency? Or is there more to it that I'm not getting?

Thanks!
#72 of 516 Old 05-22-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
My question still remains, however. When I'm making a sponge, am I just adding enough flour and water to make a rather pancake-like consistency? Or is there more to it that I'm not getting?
Yeah, just flour and water. I add about 1 1/2 cup of starter to 5 cups flour and 4 cups water. I leave it overnight, and in the morning replenish my starter and add salt, oil, and more flour, knead, split into two leaves, and set to rise about 4 hours or so. I always get great bread this way.
#73 of 516 Old 05-23-2006, 12:04 AM

gardenmommy what I like about sourdough is it is so simple to make! Slightly OT but where do you live that you have the heat on at this time of year - eek! It's supposed to be almost winter here & we live in the colder end of the country & we still only have a fire occasionally.
#74 of 516 Old 05-23-2006, 09:38 AM

Ok, thanks! I am going to try making a sponge this morning, let it set all day, and then finish it tonight, as per Oceanmomma's method (mainly because I didn't start it last night!).

Oceanmomma, we live in Michigan. We've had lovely weather here for about, oh, 6 weeks. So nice, in fact, that people are getting in their gardens and whatnot. Then, we had this cold, rainy spell last week; at the end of that, we had a cold snap with the overnight lows nearly at freezing. This morning will hopefully be the end of all that, and then we'll just close up our windows at night until our lows come up sufficiently to leave them open all the time. Aaahhhh, the joys of living in the north!
#75 of 516 Old 05-23-2006, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i'm hoping to start doing sourdough this summer - now that i'm getting into a routine with my kefir (one thing at a time!).

any tips for doing sourdough in a breadmachine? i don't have time or talent to make bread by hand but i do have a bread machine...

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#76 of 516 Old 05-23-2006, 04:42 PM

gardenmommy yikes! From what ppl have told me places like that have very very nice weather for those 6 weeks. We don't really get any very hot weather or any very very cold weather where we are. I can't grow tomatoes outside where I am for example. Nor would I ever get any sap out of a sugar maple. Being coastal, it gets very windy too. Still it is beautiful so I don't mind.

bluets I used to make my sourdough in a breadmaker but I think it comes out nasty. I also think there are some issues with breadmakers & teflon maybe? I get a much better bread & it is a whole heap easier to do by hand & bake in the oven. If you do want to make it in the breadmaker, I used to run it thru the dough cycle & then turn it off & leave it to rise overnight & then run it thru the bake cycle. When I say it turned out nasty, I found it was not a flavourful or crusty as it is when I bake it in the oven.
#77 of 516 Old 05-25-2006, 04:26 PM

OK I've got a bowl of flour/water sitting on my counter, it's kinda warm here now (Michigan) and it's got very small bubbles in it. This morning it had some tan colored liquid on it that I drained off. It doesn't smell like much of anything... just like flour really. Do I need to let it brew a while yet before I make bread?
#78 of 516 Old 05-25-2006, 05:07 PM

it sounds like it's ready to make bread with except I would expect it to smell different. All you can really do is give it a go. I'd feed the starter with more flour & water to make a sponge & see what happens. If it gets all bubbly, make some bread. If it doesn't leave it a bit longer until it does.
#79 of 516 Old 05-25-2006, 08:16 PM

I just found a recipe for a sprouted sourdough Essene bread. I'm keen to try this and perhaps dry it in the dehydrator rather than baking it in the oven. The author suggests 'baking' it in the sun if it's a particularly hot and sunny day.

I seem to be baking about once a week. My spelt/rye sourdough is rising right now awaiting baking in the morning.
#80 of 516 Old 05-25-2006, 09:34 PM

I made a sponge and let it go for about 12 hrs. (it was that long till I got round to doing anything with it). Then I added some salt, small amount of oil, more flour and water, and kneaded it until it was sort of springy. It was still sticky, but I didn't want to add too much flour, so I left it to rise. Well, I think it's finally doubled after about 48 hrs. I'm going to make some loaves and bake it tonight after I get the dc in bed. I have very low expectations, so anything that is reasonably edible is a success in my book!
#81 of 516 Old 05-25-2006, 11:19 PM

OK I think I have sponge now! I fed and watered it, and it has a very faint alcohol smell although it's barely detectable. I'm going to try bread tomorrow, and if it turns out good I'll share it with my in laws when we see them for the weekend. If not, oh well! Wish me luck!
#82 of 516 Old 05-26-2006, 05:25 PM

Well, my bread is, ummm, interesting! To say the least! It is very dense, and I should not have split it into 2 loaves because they are both very small. But, it is not hard as a rock, it is nice and tender inside... and has a very odd flavor, not at all like some sourdoughs I've had (this is not super sour like others I've tasted) but it is nice, I used part WW flour and part unbleached AP flour. And salt and olive oil. That's it! Hmm.... not sure how to change this for the next time!
#83 of 516 Old 05-27-2006, 12:10 AM

I baked my sourdough last night. I have bricks. I threw them out they were so heavy! I am undaunted! I fed my starter again, and it went like gangbusters. I made another sponge this morning with it, and left it all day (about 12 hrs.) My sponge doubled in that time, so I decided to make it into bread. It is rising at the moment. We shall see how it looks tomorrow. The challenge is too much to resist! Must. make. sourdough!
#84 of 516 Old 05-27-2006, 05:33 AM

I read somewhere oil slows down the rising process. I'm not sure if that is in all bread, yeasted bread or just sourdough. I never put oil in my sourdough, just flour, water & salt.

Gardenmommy, I have found that mine usually takes at least 3 loaves before it comes right.
#85 of 516 Old 05-27-2006, 05:22 PM

I tried again. It rose like crazy overnight in my bowl (almost over the top). I couldn't remember if it needed a second rise or not, so I googled it. Everything I read said to give it another rise. So that's what it's doing right now. It looks like bricks, but I thought I'd give it awhile, and not get too impatient. I figure that at some point I'll figure it out!
#86 of 516 Old 05-27-2006, 06:20 PM

I've only ever done a single rising. Also wanted to say you should taste your 'bricks' before you chuck them. The crust is thick and the loaves themselves are heavy but the bread itself is delicious and far lighter than one would expect based on the outer appearance.
#87 of 516 Old 05-27-2006, 06:59 PM

Has anyone else sort of skipped the sponge making step? I made sourdough bread by mixing the starter, flour ,salt and water and left it to rise overnight. Then in the morning I cooked it. I've also done the sponge method but I seem to get similar results either way.
#88 of 516 Old 05-27-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit
Has anyone else sort of skipped the sponge making step? I made sourdough bread by mixing the starter, flour ,salt and water and left it to rise overnight. Then in the morning I cooked it. I've also done the sponge method but I seem to get similar results either way.
So, do you not replenish your starter? I've always found that, when making any kind of bread, I get the best texture when I use the sponge method.
#89 of 516 Old 05-27-2006, 11:21 PM

If you only do a single rising, then why do so many different websites (and I checked quite a few) tell you to do a second rising? And if you only do a single rising, then do you shape the dough and bake it right away? That's what I did the first time, and the dough never got any larger than when I put it in the pan.

I followed Oceanmomma's method of preheating the oven to 200C and then reducing the heat to 180C (which according to conversion charts works out to about 400F and +/- 350F). I left them for about 45 min. They were very hard on the outside, doughy on the inside. They clearly needed a longer baking time.

So this time, I thought I'd try something different, which was a second rise, then starting them out in a cold oven (also recommended by several "sourdough experts").

I'm still waiting on them to finish rising. I'll probably bake them first thing in the morning.
#90 of 516 Old 05-28-2006, 04:12 AM

hmm, I only do one rising & I gently shape the dough so as not to squash it & bake right away. I put slash marks in the loaves sometimes & they open out & the loaf gets bigger while it is cooking. I used to not preheat the oven but I never got the nice crust like that. The whole point of having a very hot oven to start out is apparently to seal the crust. Mine always cooks nicely inside & is crusty outside but not too hard. I am yet to get a brick. I think it helped big time having a master baker bake with the culture I captured for a few months & then give it back to me!

I have also found with sourdough that the longer you leave it the sourer it gets. So two risings makes quite a strong flavoured bread & doesn't necessarily mean it rises anymore in the long run.

About skipping the sponge stage. I know someone who went to europe last year & travelled around. She stayed with an organic baker in Italy for a week & helped her bake bread. She said that the baker kept her sourdough as balls of dough in the fridge. I need to find out more details but I have a vivid memory of being given a ball of dough by the bakers at the whole earth bakery when I was in London years ago when I asked for some of their sourdough. I need to make some more bread this week as we are totally out so maybe I will experiment & save some dough as well as some sponge.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page