sourdough recipes & wild starters! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 516 Old 07-10-2006, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had mine in the fridge for a week and a half while I was on vacation. I took it out of the fridge before bedtime, added abour 3/4 cup of flour and water, stirred it up, and let it sit overnihgt. By morning it was its usual bubbly self.
#182 of 516 Old 07-11-2006, 02:42 PM

can i use regular whole wheat flour to start a starter?

does this sound right:

use 1 c. warm water, 1 c. ww flour
cover with a dishtowel and say a little prayer
wait a day
discard half the next day and add another 1. c water and 1 c. flour, stir
repeat daily until the mixture bubbles
use it in a bread recipe with some additional ww flour and salt
save a little for the next starter

would this maybe work?

i am so clueless but want to try!
#183 of 516 Old 07-11-2006, 02:47 PM

Has anyone tried using the pre-made Sprouted Rye or Spelt flour to make sourdough starter or the bread itself? I'm not sure how the sprouting process of the flour would change a leavened bread recipe. The flour I am speaking of is from the Summers Sprouted Flour Company.
#184 of 516 Old 07-11-2006, 03:00 PM

Fermentula, haven't a clue how that would work. Why don't you try it and let us know how it turns out?

I've been experimenting a little. I tried adding a small amount of commercial yeast to my sourdough just to see what the difference would be. It changed the flavor somewhat, but not really the texture. I decided it wasn't really worth it. I apparently didn't add enough, because the rise time wasn't any shorter, and the bread still had a nice sour flavor.

I've made two beautiful loaves today. They rose nicely, and are very tasty. My (picky) son said that it tastes great, not too sour.

I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe for sourdough pancakes. I'd like to try making some with my starter.
#185 of 516 Old 07-11-2006, 09:01 PM

I have another question. Why do you slash the top of the loaf before baking? I think that my loaf would collapse if I did that. How do you do it and retain the rise?
#186 of 516 Old 07-12-2006, 03:38 AM

I slash mine for purely cosmetic reasons. I aim to end up with one of those crusty boule shaped loaves with slashes in. Doesn't always happen but normally I get it right. What I do is let mine rise & then do the slashes just before I put it in the oven to bake.
#187 of 516 Old 07-12-2006, 10:14 AM

My starter smells like apple cider?! I guess that's ok, judging by the posts in this thread, but it's a bit weird, yeah? I'm curious to see if my bread tastes like apples!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#188 of 516 Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 AM

Ok so I have some extra starter. So this is my plan. I want to make this blueberry buckle http://dessert.allrecipes.com/az/BlbrryBckl.asp I plan on eliminating the baking powder. I took 1/2 cup of my starter, mixed it with the 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup unbleached flour. I covered and am going to let it sit til later today when I will bake it. I guess I would only need to add an additional cup of flour. Do you think this will work?
#189 of 516 Old 07-12-2006, 01:58 PM

Ok, this is my starter. http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...6108QZuXDFm0ag
It's ready to be used isn't it? So now I use it or throw it in the fridge. I feed it when I use it or once a week if I'm not using it, right?

Is this type of container ok to use if I don't tighten the top or do I need something that will breathe more? http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...5108QZuXDFm0ag
It has no rubber seal BTW.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#190 of 516 Old 07-12-2006, 03:30 PM

I use a lid but it's definitely kept ajar. I don't think it should be sealed.

I know starters probably look different all over the world but if my starter looked like yours, I would stir it, throw half of it away, feed it with 1 cup flour + 1 cup filtered water, put it in a warmish place and let it do its thing for 8-12+ hours until it doubled (or more) in size. I've been baking nearly one loaf every other day (until just the past week and a half since I was on vacation) and the starters of mine that looked sort of like brownish pancake batter with a layer of liquid on top didn't make a very good loaf.
#191 of 516 Old 07-12-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calla lily
Ok so I have some extra starter. So this is my plan. I want to make this blueberry buckle http://dessert.allrecipes.com/az/BlbrryBckl.asp I plan on eliminating the baking powder. I took 1/2 cup of my starter, mixed it with the 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup unbleached flour. I covered and am going to let it sit til later today when I will bake it. I guess I would only need to add an additional cup of flour. Do you think this will work?
I am anxious to see your results. I just made several blueberry buckles and cobblers with a bunch of blueberries we picked and used the traditional baking powder recipe. I wonder if it will work with sourdough. :
#192 of 516 Old 07-12-2006, 04:10 PM

I keep my starter in a jar with a couple small holes punched through the lid.

I will be baking the buckle soon, so I'll update with the results.

Wanted to add that I'm new at sourdough cooking, so I'm pretty cluesless. Jessica, my starter looks pretty similar to yours and I considered it good. But I've only baked 2 loaves and they haven't been the best.
#193 of 516 Old 07-12-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe for sourdough pancakes. I'd like to try making some with my starter.
I've been meaning to try this

Jessica, your starter looks great! I keep mine sealed in the fridge with no problems so far but there seem to be endless variations in sourdough cookery
#194 of 516 Old 07-12-2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle
I use a lid but it's definitely kept ajar. I don't think it should be sealed.
I have always kept mine sealed in the fridge. I would think it would dry out if you kept it ajar.
#195 of 516 Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 PM

Thanks carnelian. That looks good, I just printed it out. When I make it, I will post the results.
#196 of 516 Old 07-12-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup
I have always kept mine sealed in the fridge. I would think it would dry out if you kept it ajar.
I feed mine every other day and just leave it out on the counter. I've had pretty good luck that way though it does take some work lol. Who knows!
#197 of 516 Old 07-13-2006, 03:54 AM

What do you do with a sourdough recipe that calls for extra yeast? I found a nice looking recipe with various different grains in it. I left out the added yeast & let it go overnight. It did rise, but not nearly to the point of my envisioned "sandwich bread." When you encounter a recipe with a little spike of added yeast, do you add the yeast, skip the recipe, or adjust in some other way?
#198 of 516 Old 07-13-2006, 08:49 AM

The blueberry buckle turned out great. I actually use this recipe http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/BlueberryBuckle.asp It's pretty much the same as the other but with less salt. I used butter instead of shortening, omitted the baking powder. I used 1/2 cup active starter, added 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup unbleached flour. This sat out for 6-7 hours. When mixing up the dough, I added 1 cup unbleached flour. I would have used more whole wheat but dh complains about my baking being to wheaty (the starter is ww). I didn't skimp on the sugar and it was yummy and sweet. Dh said it was better than the last time I made it (which was done per recipe).

I haven't had much luck with bread yet though. Dh and ds will be taking the loaf I made yesterday to use as fishing bait. We'll see if they catch anything
#199 of 516 Old 07-13-2006, 11:52 AM

#200 of 516 Old 07-13-2006, 12:35 PM

Ok.. I just joined this forum a few minutes ago so I really hope no one minds me jumping in here.. I already responded to two other postings and don't want to seem a know it all... I"m not but the subjects just happened to be related to some things I've been doing for the past year or so and that I also happened to find some good information online pertaining too..

Ok for the sourdough starter... there is a lot of information online... Sourdough is basically a yeast culture,, yeast is airborne so it can usually be picked up almost anywhere and it will feed on sugar or flour.. different areas have different yeast and therefore are suppose to produce the different flavored sourdoughs.

The best sourdough culture that I have worked with so far is one that has been carried on since the 1800's... you can get a free culture simply by sending a stamped self-addressed envelope.... you might want to send a few dollar donation as well because someone has spent their time and ingredients to carry on this tradition..

the culture I received was the best smelling and the most active culture I've used so far. There are recipes for downloading, instructions for caring for it etc.

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/
#201 of 516 Old 07-19-2006, 04:59 PM

Does your starter still rise in the fridge? I used mine the other day, fed it, and put it back in the fridge. I couldn't believe how much it bubbled and rose in the fridge. I think it more than doubled overnight, and it stayed really bubbly over the next several days. This is a good thing, I think. It smells fantastic, and I am, right now, trying it for the first time since then. I am hoping that it makes a super good loaf. My last two were superb!
#202 of 516 Old 07-25-2006, 12:26 AM

I WANT TO SAY I HAVE READ THIS thread and i love it!!!!!i read all 11 pages! how are things going now gardenmmmy? i was so pulling for you and your bread!!!!!
#203 of 516 Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 AM

My bread has been turning out SO well! I am so happy with it, and proud of myself for sticking with it. I'm gradually transitioning my starter over to freshly ground whole wheat flour instead of rye, because I have 50 lbs. of wheat berries sitting in my house.

My Dh said he is actually starting to prefer my bread, and thinks it tastes great. Not only that, he said he really likes it that I make bread, that it's something we can use, and that it's not just a once-a-year-special-occasion when I make it.

I'm going to branch out and try using my starter for some pancakes and other stuff. I'm hoping that it will turn out.
#204 of 516 Old 07-25-2006, 11:26 AM

i started a starter!!!!!
#205 of 516 Old 07-25-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
This is the one my mother has been making for 40 or 50 years:

1 cup sourdough starter
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups warm water

Mix, don't worry about lumps. Let sit in a warm place overnight.

In the morning, reserve one cup of sponge and refrigerate for next time. Add to the rest:

1 egg
2 teaspoons melted butter
1/4 cup cream or milk

Mix by hand until incorporated. Mix in a small bowl:

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons sugar (I use Rapadura)

Sprinkle over wet ingredients, then gently fold in. Let sit for half an hour. Cook in medium hot skillet in butter. These are rather thin pancakes and cook quickly. Flip as soon as the bubbles that break stay open. Of course, right before you cook them you can add blueberries or whatever.

Double the amount of melted butter to 4 teaspoons if you want to make waffles.

Ann
#206 of 516 Old 07-25-2006, 03:14 PM

mmmmm, those sound good! I printed off an alaskan sourdough pancake recipe that someone else posted. I haven't tried it yet, as I've really been trying hard to limit my grains. It's hard, though, when I pull a loaf of sourdough out of the oven, to resist having a slice with some fresh butter and honey!
#207 of 516 Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 PM

my starter has liqiud at the top- do i stir then dump out 1/2- or dump as it is??
thanks!
#208 of 516 Old 07-26-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie
my starter has liqiud at the top- do i stir then dump out 1/2- or dump as it is??
thanks!
It will separate like that when it sits for awhile. Just stir it back in.

Ann
#209 of 516 Old 07-26-2006, 02:13 PM

ok i think it is looking good.... i am so excited. it looks bubbly.... but just smells like flour and water for now.
#210 of 516 Old 07-30-2006, 06:22 PM

Help! A friend of mine gave me about a third of a cup of her starter. What do I do with it now? She said she puts about a quarter cup of water and flour and lets it sit over night. I'm thinking I need a larger quantity for making bread. So, how do I expand it?

At what point do you let the dough sit for 24 hours to disolve the phytates? When do you reserve the new starter? Do you just leave some in the container and add flour and water or do you use it all and then take out a cup of dough at some point? What's the sponge ya'll are talking about?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page