sourdough recipes & wild starters! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 516 Old 08-24-2006, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well my dough did not rise in the fridge overnight. I made my sponge yesterday morning, about 9am and then made the dough last nightabout 8pm, shaped the loaf and put it in a bag (with plenty of room to rise) in the fridge. Checked it at 7 this morning and it had barely rose, if at all. So I have it sitting out now to see if it will rise. My other loaves take around 6 hours for their 1st rise (out of the fridge).

The pretzels I made last night were yummy. But I could not shape them at all. I'm not sure if I needed more flour to stiffen the dough more. The dough just kinda shrank back up. So I made sticks and they cooked up fine, crunchy on the outside and chewy inside. Dh said next time I should make a biger batch and do salt on top of half for pretzels and garlic on the other for breadsticks.
#242 of 516 Old 08-24-2006, 11:21 AM

calla lily, my dough will rise *a little* in the fridge, but not much. It usually jumps up after a couple hours of sitting on the counter, though.

The pretzels sound yummy!
#243 of 516 Old 08-24-2006, 07:14 PM

Hi mamas! I just made it through the whole thread (finally!) and now I am pumped to catch myself a starter! I mixed up my flour and water and set it outside. Here's a really basic question - is it okay to cover the bowl with a loosely woven cotton cloth to prevent large things from falling in, or does it need to be completely open to catch the yeast?

My DH and I are taking a trip to the coast in October and I am hoping I'll have a little experience by then and catch my self another starter from there. Such nice energy.

You ladies are so inspiring!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#244 of 516 Old 08-24-2006, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I put a loosely woven cotton hand/tea towel over mine and it's bubblin' away like it's its job! So no harm in covering it losely to keep the bugs out.

If your nights are getting as chilly as ours are now I'd also try to remember to bring it in for the night.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#245 of 516 Old 08-25-2006, 10:17 AM

Thanks eirual for the reminder - it's pretty chilly out there!!

SO.....I brought in my starter and as I was walking in with it carrying DD, I couldn't resist a liitle peek under the cloth, but as soon as I lifted it DD plunged her curious little baby hand in there! So do you think it is ruined? Should I save myself some grief and chuck it out and start fresh or do you think it will be okay?

#246 of 516 Old 08-25-2006, 06:42 PM

No worries there I don't think. It's far from sterile really, and you'll be shoving your own hands in there when it's time to knead your dough anyways.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#247 of 516 Old 08-25-2006, 09:18 PM

Thanks! I kept it out under the rosemary bush today and it looks bubbly and smells nice !! I think I'll be baking bread this weekend

#248 of 516 Old 08-25-2006, 09:52 PM

I've been trying to get a starter started and I don't know if it's working. Can I get some of you to describe how it should smell. I've read beer like smell, but the current one is more like wine/cheesey smell. It's got bubbles happening but the smell is definately not what I was thinking.

Is starter really hard to get going.... some sites say it's easy and than others say if you are a first time sour dough maker to buy or get starter from some one else. I am a first timer on this so what makes it so hard?
#249 of 516 Old 08-25-2006, 09:54 PM

I think starter smells awful, LOL It just smelled rotten to me! Bubbling is good, that means you've got a real starter going! Usually within 24 hours of bubbling, mine is ready to bake with. It seems daunting at first, but it really isn't. I remember thinking that my first starter smelled horrible, and that it couldn't be right, but it made nice loaf of bread.
#250 of 516 Old 08-27-2006, 10:44 AM

So I finally lgot my starter going good!

I proofed my starter overnight, made the dough in the morning, let it rise through the day (~6hrs)...it rose a bit, but not much...it passed the "touch the centre and if it doesn't pop back up then it's done" test. So I punched it back down, kneaded a bit, and put into a loaf shape, let it sit for about another hour 'til I got inpatient and just baked it!

While it was sitting that last hour it didn't rise AT ALL, while it was cooking it didn't rise at all. I have a rock-hard lump of cooked dough and that's about it!

WHat went wrong?? Did I leave the sponge to sit too long overnight? Do you need to use it once it finishes bubling (by the time I got to it it was flat and had a layer of the liquidy hooch on top)?

I was so excited to finaly get some sourdough after so long!

#251 of 516 Old 08-27-2006, 02:31 PM

eirual - I am only a beginner here, but from reading the thread, I don't think most mamas here do the punch down/second rise - they just let it rise once in the pan they'll bake it in. Maybe that's it? Hopefully someone with experience will chime in!

I decided to toss my starter and start over. By yesterday it smelled pretty gross but was bubbly and looked right I think. It was probably OK but I couldn't get it out of my head that I might be brewing up some sort of baby goo in there (see previous post LOL).

Also, I was at the HFS yesterday and got some whole rye flour. I had used whole wheat before. So, I started up a new batch with the rye last evening and put it out under my rosemary bush this morning. Hopefully I'll get to bake some bread soon!

#252 of 516 Old 08-28-2006, 09:29 PM

Ok I seem to have the opposite problem from some other people - my starter is outta control!!! I make my bread the way Rose Levy Berenbaum tells me to, starting with a half cup of starter, feed a half cup flour, let double, feed a cup flour, let double, then add the rest of the flour and whatever water you need, mix, let rise, shape, rise and bake. Previously when I've used this method it's taken at least 12 hours to get to the mix part - usually 8 hours to double the first time and 4 the next. Well, today it's gone crazy and it was ready to mix after only 6 hours (and yes, it's very warm here today). My question is, if your sourdough is that active, is it "slow rise" enough??? Are the phytates or whatever in the flour getting soaked enough?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#253 of 516 Old 08-31-2006, 12:21 PM

Yeah!!! I'm so happy my sourdough worked!!!!
DH didn't understand why I was happy until I explained to him why sourdough was better... still didn't get it so I told him it was also a way to "beat the system"... I made bread without having to be dependent on commerical yeast. Then he understood. We love to find ways to 'beat the system'.
#254 of 516 Old 08-31-2006, 03:07 PM

Question about old/nasty starters. We were out of town for 2 weeks and I left my sourdough on the kitchen counter. oops. I have 3 jars of it -- 2 were orangish and nasty smelling, but 1 smelled only slightly nasty. So I ditched the 2 and for the semi ok one I poured off the top into the trash, and then mixed it up and added 1 c. flour and some water.... then discarded half of it... then 1 cup flour and water 1 or 2 more times. Now it's bubbling again smells OK.

Sooo... How long does it take for the good bugs to outcompete the bad bugs?

And... If you have starter that is rising nicely again, does it mean all the bad bugs are gone?
#255 of 516 Old 08-31-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I proofed my starter overnight, made the dough in the morning, let it rise through the day (~6hrs)...it rose a bit, but not much...it passed the "touch the centre and if it doesn't pop back up then it's done" test. So I punched it back down, kneaded a bit, and put into a loaf shape, let it sit for about another hour 'til I got inpatient and just baked it!

While it was sitting that last hour it didn't rise AT ALL, while it was cooking it didn't rise at all. I have a rock-hard lump of cooked dough and that's about it!
My attempt at solving your problem.....I've had that happen a few times. I have never proofed overnight....in fact, my proofing time is usually no more than about an hour. That would be the first thing I'd do differently. The next thing is when you say you, "kneaded a bit", how long is a "bit"? I've found that if I don't just go to town kneading it hard for about 8-9 minutes, then I just don't get a good rise. I call it "bread therapy" I usually do let my bread rise twice, as well.
#256 of 516 Old 08-31-2006, 05:48 PM

thanks Shirelle!

By kneaded a bit I meant like 5-6 quick folds

I will try (yet) again with a shorter proofing time and knead it like it's my job!

Send rising dough and yummy bread vibes my way!

#257 of 516 Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 PM

Well, my second started attempt with the rye flour is a failure - it grew mold!! I was suspicious as the night before last it was bubbly and I fed it but by last evening it hadn't started bubbling up again...this morning the mold was there. I'm not sure what happened. *sigh* I guess I should have stuck with my baby goo starter!!

I think I'll start another one today and try half rye half whole wheat and see what happens. Wish me luck - I sure do want to bake soon!

#258 of 516 Old 08-31-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
Ann, when you make your pancakes, do you have to leave some out for the next time? Could I just mix the whole lot up into pancakes, and then use starter from my jar for the next batch? In other words, do I have to save starter from the sponge for the next time?
Gardenmommy, I missed this question, and it's been a month! I'm sorry!
My mother taught me to take the entire starter out, add the flour and water, and let it sit overnight in a glass mixing bowl covered with wax paper and a kitchen towel. And you wash out and sterilize the jar you keep it in. Then in the morning put 1 or 2 cups back in the jar to put back in the refrigerator, and use the rest for the pancakes. That way the starter is all fed and ready for the next time.

Ann
#259 of 516 Old 08-31-2006, 10:56 PM

Ann, oh! I've been just taking out half the starter, mixing according to the directions, and feeding the remainder for something else (usually bread). It seems to be working just fine! I've made them several times with rave reviews from the hungry monkeys! In fact, I may make them for breakfast tomorrow.
#260 of 516 Old 09-01-2006, 10:01 AM

I made another loaf again last night and it looks like it worked again (haven't cut it yet as I want to take it with us camping). This time I used my bread machine ... in a different way then normal. I used the dough cycle for kneading and letting it rise. When the dough cycle was done I took the paddle out and left it for the night, planning on puting on the bake program in the morning but I woke up during the night and checked the bread and it seemed to pass the finger poke test so I turned the bake on and went back to bed. Fresh bread in the morning. I guess I will find out once I cut it if worked. It didn't rise as high as the first loaf, but it did rise. Maybe should have waited until the morning for baking... that would have been about 8 hours... didn't know if that would have been too long.
Using the bread machine for kneading and baking kept it easy for me and less clean up.
#261 of 516 Old 09-06-2006, 06:33 PM

Here's a cool thing!
I had a sourdough starter from my mother. I know she got it as a packaged thing, maybe Alaskan sourdough, back in the 70's. I wondered about maybe making a starter from wild yeast, but I really love the idea of having my mother's 35+ year old starter, so I didn't make anything else.

Well, I have been avoiding making pancakes for a long time (my main use for sourdough), so I hadn't fed my sourdough for months. I pulled it out because you ladies have inspired me to try to make traditional sourdough bread, which I have always failed at doing! So I fed the starter flour and water, and let it sit for about 16 hours. When I checked it, it was just sitting there! No bubbling, nothing.

So I guess it just lost all its oomph. I had an idea then. I fed it more flour and water, covered it with cheesecloth, and put it outside to catch, hopefully, some wild yeast.

About 24 hours later I checked it -- it was bubbling away, frothy, and smelled yeasty! So I carefully saved one cup in the refrigerator, and used the rest to make bread. I mixed and kneaded, and then shaped it and let it sit for about 8 hours. It rose to maybe 2 1/2 times its size. I slashed it and baked it. It rose some more and came out great!

I'm so excited to have caught some wild yeast AND been able to carry on the original starter!

Ann
#262 of 516 Old 09-06-2006, 06:37 PM

Ann--I think that is just too cool! What a neat legacy that you have your Moms starter....now I've got this idea to keep my starter going to give to my kids (and some people think jewelry is the best family heirloom )
#263 of 516 Old 09-06-2006, 07:00 PM

I agree - that's very cool Ann!

Okay - any of you who have used Carl's Oregon Trail starter....after my third failed attempt to catch a starter (I forgot the last one outside overnight and an animal got to it : ) I got my Carl's in the mail so I am taking it as a sign I'll try to catch my own again when we hit the coast in a few weeks...

Anyway, if you used it, do you follow the directions given to revive it? I ask because it says to use a little sugar with the flour/water/starter and I thought I read a few times here not to do that. What do you all think? I don't want to mess this one up!! I think I'll try it using only half the first time....

#264 of 516 Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 PM

I was looking at this recipe - http://breadworld.com/recipes/recipedetail.asp?id=1

and was wondering how to modify it for a wild sourdough. I do the sponge overnight with the 2 cups of flour and then add the cheese and other stuff and do another rise? Does that sound reasonable?
#265 of 516 Old 09-14-2006, 09:56 PM

I just pulled my sourdough starter out of the fridge after a 2 month hiatus. It's got about 1/4 inch of dark looking liquid sitting on top of the starter. Any ideas about what it is and what to do with it? Mix it in? Pour it off? Toss the whole thing? It smells fine.
#266 of 516 Old 09-14-2006, 11:08 PM

My starter grew some nasty pink/orange funk a few weeks ago... I left it out on the counter while we were gone for 2 weeks. I threw out all but 1/3 c. of it, and then fed it and divided it, fed it and divided it for 3 or 4 days. Eventually it was bubbling happily again and has made some very tasty loaves. I think the chances are good that I just brought it/caught the local yeasties from our air which eventually smothered the bad bugs. Whatever happened, if you treat it with TLC for a while it will come back to you.
#267 of 516 Old 09-15-2006, 11:41 AM

But what should I do with the liquid sitting on top? Should I mix it in or pour it off? My concern is that the liquid might contain all the good beasties and by pouring it off I'd be pouring all the good stuff off too OTOH the liquid could just be funky.
#268 of 516 Old 09-15-2006, 01:59 PM

This is what I followed to revive my Carl's starter, no sugar added, just flour and water:
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/revive.txt
#269 of 516 Old 09-15-2006, 02:30 PM

Anna,

Just mix in the hooch. Or if you wish, you can pour it off. It is the by product of very happy, very active yeasties!
#270 of 516 Old 09-15-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calla lily
This is what I followed to revive my Carl's starter, no sugar added, just flour and water:
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/revive.txt
Thank you Calla Lilly! I hadn't seen that so I'll follow those instructions and get my starter going! Yay!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page