Kefir and its benefits, advice please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-18-2006, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello there to everyone.

I'm a new person to these forums however i've been 'lurking' for quite a while.

I have a question on kefir please. May I ask if anyone has actually 'seen' benefits by consuming it daily? I have read the archives and whilst lots of people love it, I wonder if there really are many noticeable benefits to it or whether its just a milky drink.

The reason im asking is that I have a teenage daughter who has cancer and after a number of operations/chemotherapy she is feeling exhausted and run down. I've started her on kefir as a 'pick me up' type of drink, but im just looking for people's opinions on it?

Thank you for having me, i'm looking forward to 'speaking' with you all
#2 of 10 Old 04-18-2006, 02:21 PM

I know my dh and I have both noticed marked improvements in our digestion when we consume kefir on a regular basis - especially my dh as he suffers from IBS and major yeast over-load. Are you making it fresh at home or buying it at the store? If you are buying it but would rather make it, PM me and I can send you some grains.

Have you seen Dom's kefir site? It has tons of information that might give you a better idea of what exactly is in the kefir.

to you and your daughter and I hope that you see her reaping the health benefits very soon.

And WELCOME to Mothering!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 10 Old 04-18-2006, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the lovely welcome

Yes I have got some grains, thank you so much for your kind offer. Its wonderful that you have experienced results with kefir and this is just the answer I was hoping for.

Its early days for us but i'm sure we will soon feel great!
#4 of 10 Old 04-18-2006, 06:29 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#5 of 10 Old 04-18-2006, 09:31 PM

to you and your DD.

Yes, lots of benefits here... and raw milk too www.realmilk.org
#6 of 10 Old 04-19-2006, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, i'm feeling great now about the real benefits Its easy to read websites of people who are selling kefir, but it means nothing against a friends recommendation.

As far as I know, we dont have raw milk here (im in the UK) the nearest I can get is unhomegenised organic from a local farm store. I try to buy this type as it just 'feels' better.

My little kefir grains are working really hard and my sick daughter, is kinda liking the taste so its all go ahead on the new healthy routine!
#7 of 10 Old 04-19-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderlass
As far as I know, we dont have raw milk here (im in the UK) the nearest I can get is unhomegenised organic from a local farm store. I try to buy this type as it just 'feels' better.
Check around. The royal family only drinks raw milk (green cap milk it's called?)

More info here: http://realmilk.com/where-other.html#uk

Yes unhomogenized is a bit better, the homog. kind has been implicated in heart disease.
#8 of 10 Old 04-19-2006, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for that, I shall work my way through the list. I didnt know the royal family drank raw milk, well if its good enough for them...

I made my kefir into a fruit smoothie this morning, lovely!

I am slowly getting around to making as much of our food as possible. Butter is something that I started making last year and now my family wont touch any kind of spread/marg etc.

We have our own hens as well and its lovely to have a simple egg on homemade bread. I am enjoying our new healthier lifestyle
#9 of 10 Old 04-19-2006, 05:15 PM

We drink kefir every day or 2 now. I have seen a big improvement in our immune systems, and I give the kefir a lot of the credit.

Also, 15 months ago, my dd got a stomach bug (away from home. ) as soon as we got home, she was sick 1 more time, then she drank some kefir. She was not sick again.

I;m not saying that it's some kind of miracle food, but it does help us.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#10 of 10 Old 04-20-2006, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that CathToria

I feel that im at least doing something in helping my daughter on the road to recovery. I feel that im giving her immune system a boost by giving her the kefir.

I told her of the health benefits and now she asks for her daily dose every morning. It just feels like we are 'doing something' and that in itself is helpful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page