kefir - looking for a good water recipe - lactose issues - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 177 Old 08-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday's batch of canteloupe/strawberry/black cherry kefir is really yummy ! I am wondering though, if a fermentation really goes to town, can it contain significant alcohol after just 24 hrs ? It was bubbling pretty furiously - apparently it really liked the strawberry juice - and I notice that when I drink it, I feel a little euphoric I'm enjoying it but not sure it's ok for our 3 yo DS ! Is there some sort of gadget I can buy from a brew store to check alcohol content, like a hygrometer or something ? And if a fermentation is going really furiously, can kefir be ready after only 12 hours (if you don't want it to be alcoholic ?)

TIA !

Linda B.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#152 of 177 Old 08-12-2006, 06:44 PM

I think it has to sit for a much longer time to actually turn to alcohol.
#153 of 177 Old 08-12-2006, 11:07 PM

So, after two great brews that fizzed and used up all the sugar, my brew is fizzy, but still sweet and still has the hint of rotten fruit smell and flavor. In fact, the grains themselves have the smell and today's brew tastes much too sweet, even the two day soda.
Why is this so difficult to fine tune? : I don't have any trouble at all with my kombucha.
#154 of 177 Old 08-13-2006, 12:19 AM

I dunno...mine isn't even being fizzy.... I wonder if they are much more sensitive than the scoby's....
#155 of 177 Old 08-13-2006, 08:54 PM

Does anyone have any water grains to share?? I have some milk grains in the fridge 'resting' right now 'cuz with four kids we go through milk like crazy and I can't seem to keep enough around for long. And I think my son might have a milk allergy SO I'm wanting to try water kefir grains. Sounds like you ladies are making some yummy stuff!! Please PM me if you have some grains and how much!!! Thank you, thank you!!!!
#156 of 177 Old 08-15-2006, 02:11 PM

Yesterday morning I was too busy to squish fruit so I made that batch with some bottled apple juice (100% juice), and later I squeezed part of a leftover lime into it. I'm not a big fan of apple juice so I wasn't expecting much, but wow, it's really good kefir ! It doesn't taste anything like apple juice anymore - it's like a light, barely sweet lime seltzer.

Linda B.

#157 of 177 Old 08-29-2006, 02:02 PM

Has anyone noticed that their brewing kefir attracts bees like crazy ? Today was the first day in a while we have had the windows open. I called DH at work freaked out because I had to walk through a cloud of about a dozen yellowjackets to let the dog into our yard. They were hovering all around the back screen door and the window, and so I thought they might have a nest right outside our door. But then when I closed the solid door and the window, they just disappeared - they were just trying to get into the house. I thought it might be the kefir they smelled, so I moved the jar into the laundry room, opened the window and door back up, and they haven't come back. I have noticed that the kefir has a very distinctive smell, so I guess that smell attracts bees. Has anyone else noticed this ?

#158 of 177 Old 08-29-2006, 03:34 PM

Interesting. Yellow jackets go through a sugar phase. I expect they are in it now. This makes me realize that our population is down this year. No complaints from me on that.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#159 of 177 Old 08-29-2006, 04:39 PM

I keep a lid on my stuff because I can't stand the bugs that it attracts.
#160 of 177 Old 08-30-2006, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Interesting. Yellow jackets go through a sugar phase. I expect they are in it now. This makes me realize that our population is down this year. No complaints from me on that.
OT, Sorry. We just went on a big trip to MT, ID & WA. There were thick yellow jackets at most of our stops. Not so many in CA though.
#161 of 177 Old 03-10-2007, 09:33 PM

Reviving this 'ol thread! I am getting back into the sodas after a short time of experimentation. Right after I started making them, I got pregnant and could not stomach them for whatever reason. Part of it may have been the strong flavor of the rapadura. This past month I've been using organic white sugar and lemon or lime juice, ala the EFLF recipes. We LOVE them. My kids are drinking the stuff up like crazy. So I reread this thread and forgot I used to drop in dried pineapple and other fruits. I have some dried persimmons and will try that.

I wanted to revive this to ask a few questions:
1. Those of you using agave, are your grains growing? I think I'd like to try agave and am just curious. My grains multiplied some on their long break (all I did was put them in sugar water and replace the water very occasionally). Luckily they survived the pregnancy! Anyway, during the holidays I gave my mom half and now I have a tiny amount that's making a quart at a time, but not multiplying.
2. Anyone tried any type of tea combo? Mix the brewed soda with flavored tea?
3. What do you think about a Kefir Soda recipes thread? JUST recipes so folks don't have to sort through all the other info. They can reference this thread for all that info. Would you all share your favorites there?

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#162 of 177 Old 03-11-2007, 12:32 AM

Your grains will probably start multiplying if you give them a little more nutrition. A little molasses might get them going.

I tried a tea long ago & I remember it being good. I have a batch that I haven't tried yet that has an herbal infusion in it. My friend uses fresh fruit--mangoes, bananas... & it is really yummy.

Glad to see this going again. I'll bet that we've all had lots of fun experiments that we can share.
#163 of 177 Old 03-11-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan View Post
3. What do you think about a Kefir Soda recipes thread? JUST recipes so folks don't have to sort through all the other info. They can reference this thread for all that info. Would you all share your favorites there?
Yes, I would be interested in a thread of just recipes.

I've been experimenting with canned fruit, which started out with me cleaning my pantry and me finding a can of lychees that I was gonna donate since it was canned in sugar water. I decided to ferment it with water kefir grains instead. I added some water to the liquid and it was delicious! After about a day and a half, I bottled the liquid in airtight bottles while it was still somewhat sweet, and a day or two in the fridge later, it was very fizzy with a hint of sweetness, and tasted like a tangy lychee soda! The lychees, which started out sweeter than the liquid, were slightly sweet with a lychee wine flavor. Yum!
#164 of 177 Old 03-11-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieM View Post
Your grains will probably start multiplying if you give them a little more nutrition. A little molasses might get them going.
Yes, I read that in another thread. I'm adding in some rapadura to the white sugar so we can adjust to the taste and see if the grains grow.

#165 of 177 Old 03-11-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
Yes, I would be interested in a thread of just recipes.
Here it is: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?p=7525425

Be sure to add your canned fruit recipe and tips!

#166 of 177 Old 03-14-2007, 11:18 AM

Hi Kefir Goddesses!

Can you drink water kefir while pregnant? I know that the drink becomes slightly alcoholic....is it safe?

Thanks!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#167 of 177 Old 03-14-2007, 06:42 PM

The alcohol content is minute..it should be fine while pregnant.
#168 of 177 Old 03-14-2007, 07:13 PM

As cobluegirl said, the alcohol content is small. It's my understanding that it can range from 0.5-3%. It's probably just fine, but I think I'd stick with the shorter, lower alcohol ferments while pregnant. By comparison, a lot of beers are around 5 or 6% with some of the light versions around 3.5%.
#169 of 177 Old 03-19-2007, 12:47 AM

Okay. Right now I have molasses, sugar, water and banana with my grains trying to help them. After 3 days in lime and sugar nothing seemed to happen. It has been 70ish degrees here too so I expected something.

I don't get it. Water kefir is making me :

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#170 of 177 Old 03-19-2007, 11:57 AM

Do not try to understand water kefir.

My grains grew like crazy over the summer, I sent them to about 50 people. They grew in some homes, not in others. They didn't grow here the last couple of months. They are picking up again. (This part makes sense -- it's getting warmer.)

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#171 of 177 Old 03-19-2007, 12:29 PM

i don't care if mine grow so much...I just want them to ferment the water mixture. I make another batch tonight and see how it goes.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#172 of 177 Old 03-19-2007, 02:42 PM

I'm reading too qquickly, Jennifer. Sorry

How do you know it's not fermenting? Still too sweet? No fizz?
Did they "work" before? Are these new?

#173 of 177 Old 03-19-2007, 05:50 PM

It is still sweet and no bubbles after 3 days. They were sent to me last week and the water/sugar was drained from the baggy they were in so they may have died. Whi knows how long they were without liquid for.

Thanks Amanda,
Jen

#174 of 177 Old 03-19-2007, 06:57 PM

How many water changes have they been through with you? Did they seem dry when you got them (besides being out of water)?

#175 of 177 Old 03-19-2007, 07:02 PM

They are now on their 3rd or 4th. I just put then in some new water/suagr to see if anything will happen.

#176 of 177 Old 03-19-2007, 07:59 PM

Jen, I don't know if this would work for your grains since mine are converted from milk kefir, but when I used them with a ginger tea from fresh ginger, they seemed to really rev up and go. I did include sugar. I didn't care for the taste but since they seemed to like it I let them rest in it til the sugar had been consumed & the brew had no sweetness left. Since I've put them back in apple juice and they are very active. I also switched from a loosely lidded jar to an antique jar with a wire bail that tightens the lid down. I think that helps increase the fizziness.
#177 of 177 Old 07-12-2008, 11:10 PM

I am overwhelmed by the nr. of threads re. kefir and kombucha...so much to read so little time...
I am crazy about my success in making kombucha and now would like to try water kefir. Maybe later I will try milk kefir.
Does any one have any water kefir grains to share?
Thank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page