NT diet and morning sickness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-21-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are working our way along the NT way of eating and have been for a while. We moved to an area last year where we can get raw milk, raw cheese, pastured meats, etc. much more easily. DH makes his own yogurt and we use store bought (but unsweetened) kefir (need to get some grains to do our own). DH has done a little bit of fermented veggies...recently we had some homemade sauerkraut that turned out deeelish.

The problem is that I'm unexpectedly (but very happily) pg. We battled IF issues w/ DS and didn't expect to be pg on our own ever.

I'm about 7 weeks...still very early. With DS I had very little nausea at all. This time around I"m already getting quite sick...nothing at all is appetizing, and what is, well, it isn't nutritious. I'm actually not that bad in the morning so far, so I try to eat a healthy breakfast of free range organic eggs cooked in some coconut oil and butter. We don't make our own bread but we only buy Ezekial. I do okay for breakfast, but as of late I really just want bland bland bland for lunch and dinner and it is hard to stomach almost everything.

THe stuff that appeals to me is super bland...stuff like pizza and annie's organic mac and cheese :

I need easy to prepare things that don't smell strongly (I've been sick eating grass fed beef hamburgers in the past week, not big on meat in general as of late) to get me through this.

I KNOW it is so important to eat healthy right now. I have a tough time w/ CLO normally (I don't mind the taste but it often makes me nauseous even when I take it w/ food) and it is far far worse right now. But I know nutrition right now is so very important.

Any suggestions on NT recipes that are tummy-friendly and somewhat easy to prepare? Am I dreaming??? Do I just get by on what I can manage to stomach for now and just try to supplement that a little w/ yogurt, fermented veggies, CLO and vitamins in addition to the not so great stuff?

I still need to read up more on raw milk in pgcy...I know it is safe and there are minimal risks, but at the same time if something would happen I feel like I'd always blame myself. Arrrrgh. Silly I know...but after I research it some more I'm sure i'll feel better about it.

TIA.

eta: I do take 100mg b6 daily and I know that is supposed to help ease m/s.
#2 of 4 Old 04-21-2006, 06:19 PM

Congratulations!!! How wonderful for you - well, except the morning sickness thing! As an aspiring vegan, I have to admit that I don't know a whole lot about NT, but having been pg 6 times - I know a thing or two about morning sickness! I thought I'd pass along a little info from my midwife this time around. She told me to take milk thistle three times a day for four weeks to help with the morning sickness. She said that sometimes the liver needs a little help, and it could help with the morning sickness. I honestly can't say if it helped a lot or not because I felt like I was getting to the end of the morning sickness period anyway when I started it, but it did go away! So, I thought I'd pass the info along. Good luck! Hope you feel better soon.
#3 of 4 Old 04-21-2006, 09:46 PM

There have been anectdotal reports of women curing their morning sickness through drinking lots of raw milk throughout the day.

How about fermented porridges? Or raw milk or yogurt smoothies? You can hide all sorts of good superfoods in there, even kale leaves.

A good indicator of b6 deficiency is if you can recall the last dream before you wake up. If not, supplement until that happens. Gale Force has a lot of info on this, you can pm her.
#4 of 4 Old 04-25-2006, 12:48 AM

congratz to you! sorry to hear about the morning sickness. b6 deficiency seems to play a role in morning sickness.
i am one of the women who was helped by lots of raw milk through out the day. i have one or two quart mason jars filled per day! i would carry it around with me to drink from all day(sometimes i inadvetently made butter though from the sloshing around!, lol) ). no ill effects came of it (but i have very good grass fed organic raw milk) also my mid wife was a bit worried since she said that a lot of women who drink a lot of milk (regular pasturized/homogenized) durring pregnancy have babies with excima (sp?), but i had no problem with that. likely because it was raw milk, also i seem to have no probs digesting milk. also as an added benifit, when drinking this much milk i very little craving for chocolate (usually something i binge out on) i have no idea if it is connected though

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page