NT Breakfasts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Many of us struggle with breakfasts, esp. those of us addicted to boxed cereals. I had a thread from back when I was trying to break the cereal habit:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=330920

And another recent one:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=442069

What do YOU do for breakfasts?

Here are our current trends:
granola from EFLF - this is for our preschool mornings. I have to do a better job keeping up with this. And I just did a batch in the dehydrator that turned out great. I think I prefer this to the cold cereal in EFLF if only for ease of making.
Eggs - very fast to scramble and cook. With salsa, ketchup or even kimchi
Grains - oatmeal is so fast after being soaked. I've also been using my rice cooker to make grains. They're done by breakfast time if I can set the timer on the cooker. If it's a recipe that requires the porridge setting (which can't be set on the timer) I get up early, hit START and go back to sleep.
Fried Mush - leftover grains with egg mixed in, fried in tallow/butter/oil.
Smoothies - not that often.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Oh...I also do homemade bread (I make a cheater's version with sprouted flour in the bread machine). We toast it or sometimes I fry up bacon and then "toast" the bread in the bacon grease. Then layer cheese, bacon and maybe egg for an open face sandwhich. YUM!

Also, I attended the WAPF Western Conference and have some breakfast ideas from that I'll try to find later!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#3 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 01:52 PM

Great thread-

Just started reading/posting in the NT April thread. Needing to renew my energy for NT and lately breakfast is a big downward-spiral-starter for me and my NT goals...

Especially timely as I just gave in and bought a box of Cheerios last week after cereal free for over 6 mos... what was I thinking?? Funny though, dh and dd are the only ones who want to eat it.

Oatmeal- lots of this over the winter- finally got dd to eat it by topping with apple butter.

French toast- good subst. for pancakes/waffles since I am still having trouble with planning ahead and grinding/soaking flour.

A treat around here is cinnamon toast- plenty of butter, cinnamon, and a smidge of rapadura sugar. Usually along with bacon/sausage and fruit.

Not sure why we got out of the egg habit- probably a couple mornings of kids not eating them. Wasting food really bugs me. One of the biggest challenges for me in changing how we eat is getting frustrated at trying new things and then no one (or just me!!!) eating it.

Looking forward to reading some new ideas, esp. for cooler/lighter summer fare.
#4 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 02:54 PM

Soaked oatmeal
Soaked pancakes w/butter syrup
Eggs
Homemade raw milk yogurt w/mix-ins (whatever we're in the mood for: maple syrup, raw honey, vanilla, cinnamon, crispy pecans, dried fruit...)
Frittata (recipe below, amounts non-specific, do to your taste)

Peel and thinly slice about 3-4 potatoes. Saute in cast iron skillet with coconut oil till tender. Arrange in thin layer on bottom of pan. Scramble some eggs and pour over top. Grate some raw cheese and sprinkle on top. Bake right in skillet in 350 degree oven till eggs are set and cheese is to your liking. Yummy!
#5 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 03:01 PM

We have a few staples depending on our moods...

1) Always start with a cut up apple, orange grapefruit, bowl of frozen rasps. or blueberries. At this point we have our tinctures and a spoon full of EVCO.

2) Super eggy french toast with cultured butter and maple syrup and hemp hearts

3) Homemade yogurt smoothies with berries, hemp oil, spirulina, bee pollen, cilantro, chard or kale. (I used slightly steamed greens).

4) Oats soaked overnight with water and whey and cooked and then crispy nuts and molasses added or I make a 'parfait' which is oats then yogurt then berries then nuts and maple syrup drizzled on top in a parfait glass. ( the ingredients are all layered in the glass).

5) Oats soaked overnight with yogurt and eaten cold in the AM with blueberries and hemp oil and shredded coconut.

6) Bone broth and steamed greens with a poached egg on top.

7) Veggie omelette with zuchinni, spinach and raw cheese

8) Fermented oatcakes with maple syrup and hemp hearts or savory with craut, pickle and cheese.

9) Breakfast burrito (egg, cheese and veg) with fermented bean paste

10) Apples with almond butter for dipping

11) Soft boiled eggs and sprouted grain toast with cultured butter and steamed brocolli.

12) Always jasmine green tea for me and a herbal blend tea for dd.

13) Special days we have carob spice soaked flour pancakes. But its usually a birthday or an event of some sort.

14) Sprouted spelt berries with hemp milk and blueberries.

15) Homemade nut butter bars for when we are on the run.
#6 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 03:40 PM

sounds yummy!
#7 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 04:00 PM

Can you post the recipe for the homemade nut butter bars?
#8 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
:
#9 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
Please do!

Thanks,
#10 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
We have a few staples depending on our moods...

1) Always start with a cut up apple, orange grapefruit, bowl of frozen rasps. or blueberries. At this point we have our tinctures and a spoon full of EVCO.

2) Super eggy french toast with cultured butter and maple syrup and hemp hearts

3) Homemade yogurt smoothies with berries, hemp oil, spirulina, bee pollen, cilantro, chard or kale. (I used slightly steamed greens).

4) Oats soaked overnight with water and whey and cooked and then crispy nuts and molasses added or I make a 'parfait' which is oats then yogurt then berries then nuts and maple syrup drizzled on top in a parfait glass. ( the ingredients are all layered in the glass).

5) Oats soaked overnight with yogurt and eaten cold in the AM with blueberries and hemp oil and shredded coconut.

6) Bone broth and steamed greens with a poached egg on top.

7) Veggie omelette with zuchinni, spinach and raw cheese

8) Fermented oatcakes with maple syrup and hemp hearts or savory with craut, pickle and cheese.

9) Breakfast burrito (egg, cheese and veg) with fermented bean paste

10) Apples with almond butter for dipping

11) Soft boiled eggs and sprouted grain toast with cultured butter and steamed brocolli.

12) Always jasmine green tea for me and a herbal blend tea for dd.

13) Special days we have carob spice soaked flour pancakes. But its usually a birthday or an event of some sort.

14) Sprouted spelt berries with hemp milk and blueberries.

15) Homemade nut butter bars for when we are on the run.
Can my family and I come over for breakfast? Yummmmmmy!
#11 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 06:07 PM

Ditto! Nut butter bars sound good.
I make mini egg muffins for my boys. I drop a small piece of leftover homemade bread in each mini muffin pan, then a hunk of nitrite free bacon and then pour scrambled egg over each cup. Bake at 400 til done. They love 'em!

Suzy

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
#12 of 12 Old 04-27-2006, 06:44 PM

Breakfasts around our house are pretty simple, for the most part. During the week, and when dss isn't over, we alternate between soaked oatmeal--I prefer the steel cut oats over oldfashioned-I like the texture better--with butter and organic maple syrup or raw local honey.

Scrambled eggs with shredded cheese and whole grain sourdough bread

Whole grain sourdough with nut butter and milk (dd).

I need to experiment with soaked pancakes, and I should make french toast again! Maybe I will do that Sunday.

Scotch eggs--peeled hard boiled eggs, rolled in ww flour, dipped in beaten eggs, wrapped in ground pork sausage and either fried or baked. These rock!!! A great thing to take camping, or for grabbing quick for breakfast. Used to eat a lot of these at SCA events. They are a British tea tidbit.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page