Is The Maker's Diet the same as NT? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2006, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Couldn't find NT at the library (yes, I'm cheap ) but I found The Maker's Diet. It sounds very similar to the things on the NT threads. How are they different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2006, 12:48 PM

Maker's Diet follows more of the Jewish/kosher traditions. Most of which are in line with NT (which is why he references NT in his book). However, NT doesn't restrict things like pork and shellfish (It talks about different tribes that lived on strickly pork for their meat).

Both do say eat foods as close to their natural state as possible.

I'm sure some other posters can give you more info on this. This is just my take from what I have read.HTH
Old 05-01-2006, 01:30 PM

I've read both. MD is a good intro, I think, to the thicker and sometimes overwhelming NT. A lot of Rubin's recipes are straight from NT. I would encourage you to read it. Can you get Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Fallon and Enig? A VERY good primer to NT, I feel. I would encourage you to read MD to get started and move on to NT when you can get it.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 05-01-2006, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've read both. MD excludes foods that I don't eat for religious reasons anyway, plus it has 2 or 3 stages with strict dietary guidelines for each stage. NT isn't "telling you what to do" in the same way- she just gives the principles and encourages you to make your own dietary choices. MD has this 40-day plan for what to eat, when, how much exercise to get, when you should fast, etc. Some people do better with the more regimented approach, others prefer Fallon's more laid-back approach.

I personally disagreed with some of his Biblical interpretations in the MD book- it's not a book I'd want to own because of that.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 05-01-2006, 04:51 PM

Previous Poster pretty much summed it all up. I just want to add that NT is a lot more detailed, with a lot more information. MD is an easier read, but I think it's kind of important to read NT if you really interested in Traditional diets.

Also, MD specifies that Goat's milk is more beneficial then cow's milk, whereas NT puts the concentration on cow's milk - but both specify that it should be consumed raw.

User Tag List