Questions about kefir - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am totally new to kefir but saw some in the store yesterday. I'm considering buying some for my 3 yr. old, who just finished his first ever dose of antibiotics and I think it has trashed his gut! He got a mild viral diarrhea right as he was about to finish the antibiotics. I'm thinking kefir might help to restore the flora and fauna in his intestines?

He eats some yogurt but it seems that kefir is more powerful.

I've never made my own and have no idea how to, but my health food store sells it. Do you think a 3 yr. old would drink it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 PM

My son loves the flavored ones from the health food store. He is also 3. I don't think the ingrediants are that great so I don't give it to him very often. I like to give him plain whole milk live yogurt with some organic jam or fruit mixed in. I usually drain the whey out of it to use for lacto fermentation.The yogurt is so think and rich like cheesecake. He loves it!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Hi missi66,

I just bought some peach-flavored kefir and DS seemed to like it OK. I love it! The brand we bought has peach juice and sugar added, though.

But I bought it for its probiotic properties so I don't mind giving him it occasionally.

I also gave some to my 11 month old, mixed with applesauce, rice cereal, and flax oil. She loved it and that's saying something since she doesn't usually want to eat from a spoon.

Now I want to learn how to make it, though, b/c I want to drink the whole bottle!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:31 PM
cjr

Store bought kefir is very different than cultured kefir at home. I don't think the probiotic power is as strong in the store bought brands because they are made from a mother culture, rather than the true kefir grains. I personally do not like store bought kefir. Making kefir at home is easier than making yoghurt. You simply add milk to your kefir grains, cover and brew on your counter for 48 hours or so. Then you strain to catch the grains and start again.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr
Store bought kefir is very different than cultured kefir at home. I don't think the probiotic power is as strong in the store bought brands because they are made from a mother culture, rather than the true kefir grains. I personally do not like store bought kefir. Making kefir at home is easier than making yoghurt. You simply add milk to your kefir grains, cover and brew on your counter for 48 hours or so. Then you strain to catch the grains and start again.
Where can I obtain Kefir grains?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowbird
Where can I obtain Kefir grains?
You are looking in the right place! Most Mamas here will send them out to you for a few dollars to cover postage & packaging. That's how I got mine. I'd send you some but mine have not grown large enough for me to part with any. There are also yahoo groups that might help you find some locally.

Most mornings me & my 2 girls drink kefir smoothies. I just put kefir in the blender & add whatever. We prefer frozen fruit, we always have frozen banannas which helps the consistancy & helps cut the tart-ness a bit. Then we usually add either frozen berries or pineapple chunks. Yummy! HTe pineapple makes for a sweet smoothie which might help in the begining of getting a wee one to drink it.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:31 PM

Hey Rainbowbird,

Many of the moms online here have the 'living grains' and will usually be happy to ship you some in a little bit of milk, for the cost of packaging/shipping.

Other than that, there are some commercial sites where you can order a 'batch', but the cost is pretty high, though considering they live forever if taken proper care of, it's still cheaper than buying store bought 'finished product Kefir' repeatedly.

I am gearing up a fresh batch that I had in cold storage, for a 'test'. So when they are running over, I can ship out some more. But it will be a few weeks until I'm satisfied they are producing, reproducing, and working properly before I'd give them my final 'approval' and ship to anyone else. IM me your info, and I'll put you on a 'waiting list'. Otherwise, poke around here and I'm sure someone has some they need to get rid of pretty soon.

Xenabyte

User Tag List