NT May Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
Hey can anyone help me with raw milk yogurt?
I don't know what to tell you ladies! I know you've been struggling and I haven't had any problems and don't know what we're doing differently. The only thing I can think of right now is that you might need a different starter? Maybe Dannon doesn't have the right combo of bacteria? I really don't know, but that's my only thought.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 12:25 PM

I would try using the yogourmet starter.

Also re: sprouting, Ruthla was right on, they need oxygen. Think about the bean being outside getting the occasional rain or morning dew
#63 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 12:34 PM

Okay, here's my challenge. I'm trying to start planning meals and eating healthy again, and in the midst of this I've been challenged by my mom (still living at their place until we get possession of our house on the 26th) to help devise a meal plan for my brother to help him lose weight (and for my parents, but they don't have nearly as much to lose). And to show him how to make "quick and easy" stuff. This may eventually mean me making foods for them to freeze so they can just heat them up . . . I didn't bring that up with her yet, though.
Any ideas? What to have on hand, what's really quick to make, etc? Time is more of a concern than dollars (although mom did say to me last night that she hasn't worked all these years just to buy butter )
#64 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 12:44 PM

I have used yogourmet starter to make raw milk yogurt, and it turned out ok, but definitely not as solid as when I used pasteurized milk. i sure what the problem is either?
#65 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
Okay, here's my challenge.
Sounds like you are seeking our quickest, easiest NT meals. Is that right? Quick and easy is a subjective term! It really depends on what someone is used to. A recipe might take awhile at first and then become quick and easy!

I think the recipes in Eat Fat, Lose Fat are relatively easy. And I think making a ton of beans and then freezing them makes for future quick and easy meals (tacos, tostadas, soup, etc). Do they have current recipes you can convert? Just make it with butter, coconut oil, soaked or sprouted ingredients?

And perhaps a pantry makeover would go a long way? Take out those awful oils and replace with good ones? Replace white flour? Stuff like that?

I say baby steps. Unless they really embrace the NT way/philosophy/science, they will be totally overwhelmed and give up.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts!

#66 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
I've always heard to soak them overnight, then rinse them twice a day and keep them moist while sprouting. I'm not sure they can sprout without oxygen.
Uh oh....you mean I don't just keep them in (constantly changed) water for the whole 4 days? I must have misunderstood......Need to go back and read.
#67 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Uh oh....you mean I don't just keep them in (constantly changed) water for the whole 4 days? I must have misunderstood......Need to go back and read.
For anything you want to sprout, you soak them in water overnight. Then the next day you drain them. Rinse and drain a few times each day until you get sprouts. The more often you rinse, the less likely bad bacteria will get a hold. They won't sprout if they are under water, it will just cause them to ferment and die.
#68 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
The way you are doing it (soaking, not sprouting) will still break down the phytates and make them more digestible.

Quote:
Okay, here's my challenge. I'm trying to start planning meals and eating healthy again, and in the midst of this I've been challenged by my mom (still living at their place until we get possession of our house on the 26th) to help devise a meal plan for my brother to help him lose weight (and for my parents, but they don't have nearly as much to lose). And to show him how to make "quick and easy" stuff. This may eventually mean me making foods for them to freeze so they can just heat them up . . . I didn't bring that up with her yet, though.
Any ideas? What to have on hand, what's really quick to make, etc? Time is more of a concern than dollars (although mom did say to me last night that she hasn't worked all these years just to buy butter )
I like the pantry challenge idea too. I find that this is an ongoing process...needs to be done regularly! It may be a shock to your mom though, if you start throwing away food that she considers good.

For your brother, some low-carb, "guy friendly" ideas from the things that my dh likes: chili, chicken wings (the recipe in NT is actually pretty yummy with a little extra honey and butter stirred in), lasagne, grilled fish (individually frozen fillets fry up quickly), meatballs, sausage, stew. These can all be pre-made in large batches and frozen in meal-size portions. Your parent's might appreciate things like soups more.

We are actually off carbs as a family right now (well except for the occasional snack for ds1), and I've really noticed how much we used carbs as filler. I hope this benefits dh who is still struggling with his weight. He has been off refined sugar and flour for 2 days now. It's a big step. Here's to hoping!
#69 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
For anything you want to sprout, you soak them in water overnight. Then the next day you drain them. Rinse and drain a few times each day until you get sprouts. The more often you rinse, the less likely bad bacteria will get a hold. They won't sprout if they are under water, it will just cause them to ferment and die.
Yes, the smell started to clue me in!

#70 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 02:29 PM

I've never had an unsuccessful batch of raw milk yogurt when I use yogourmet starter. I heat it to 110 degrees, and use a dehydrator or in the oven with a 60 watt bulb.
#71 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 02:36 PM

I use yogourmet starter and have also had the problems of having "runny" yogurt. I haven't had that problem with pasteurized milk.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#72 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 02:53 PM

Yeah, it's a bit more runny, but it's still turned out smooth and normal yogurt like. lol

I think the problems are most likely with the temperatures--either in heating up or incubation.
But I remember before I was always having bad luck with making yogurt when I was using yogurt as a starter. Then I finally caved with the yogourmet and have had good luck since.
#73 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 03:07 PM

As far as I know raw milk yogurt is always going to be runnier than when using pasturized. I just drain mine a little if I want it thicker. Also when it is curdled and lots of whey on top that usually means it got too hot or too much starter. I have also had the Fage brand greek yogurt curdle, but not the jars with a different brand and I did them same time same way. So maybe try yogurtmet or another good yogurt. I am wondering what bacteria was is the Fage brand compared to the other yogurt I used. I know different bacteria need different ranges of temps. When and if I get time.............
#74 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

ITA with Aristocrat about the thin quality of raw milk yogurt. I never use a starter when making yogurt I just take a tablespoon of the previous batch and start. Occasionally I will need to purchase a tub of yogurt to start a batch when there isn't any more in the house. When that happens I buy a yogurt that has more than 5 strains of healthy bacteria listed on the tub.

Too much bifidus can make a yogurt runny too as this is a larger bacteria and tends to take over the balance.

If you read through the orginal Power of Probiotic thread by GoodPapa you will find the combos of bacteria that work the best together.
#75 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

As promised here is my nut bar recipe. If you can call it that! I never measure, I just wing it so I can't really offer any quantities. Although I can say that you want the mixture to be moist but not too moist. Thick but not too thick. Definitely sticky.

Nut Bars

Ingredients
Coconut, shredded
Brown Rice Syrup
Maple Syrup
Molasses
Coconut Butter
Carob Powder
Vanilla extract
Hemp Hearts
Soaked sunflower and pumpkin seeds
Almond butter
Tahini
Ground raw sunflower seeds
Ground flax seeds

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix very very well until consistency is that you can spread onto a parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Slow bake at around 150 - 200 degrees.

This is a recipe I tweeked from the sunflower brownie recipe in the NT cookbook. If you start with that recipe and add to it you will come up with your own squares that work well.

I hope that helps everyone out!
#76 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
As promised here is my nut bar recipe. If you can call it that! I never measure, I just wing it so I can't really offer any quantities. Although I can say that you want the mixture to be moist but not too moist. Thick but not too thick. Definitely sticky.

Nut Bars

Ingredients
Coconut, shredded
Brown Rice Syrup
Maple Syrup
Molasses
Coconut Butter
Carob Powder
Vanilla extract
Hemp Hearts
Soaked sunflower and pumpkin seeds
Almond butter
Tahini
Ground raw sunflower seeds
Ground flax seeds

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix very very well until consistency is that you can spread onto a parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Slow bake at around 150 - 200 degrees.

This is a recipe I tweeked from the sunflower brownie recipe in the NT cookbook. If you start with that recipe and add to it you will come up with your own squares that work well.

I hope that helps everyone out!
That sounds soooo amazing. I could eat it all day, I'm sure!
#77 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 05:35 PM

Thanks yitlan and hibou. Yeah, I don't think she'd go for the pantry makeover. I do think I've at least got her convinced to stop buying those pork sandwiches from costco.
I'm honestly having a hard enough time just figuring out what to make for supper tonight!
#78 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 05:45 PM

Can you make a healthier pork/meat sandwhich that can be frozen and they can take out the day they are ready for it?

For dinner tonight, I'm making chicken legs. Chicken legs can be very NT and are very mainstream. Mine are an "easy cantonese" version from a member here who runs http://www.just-tell-me-what-to-cook.com. I make them in the crockpot or sun oven once April hits, but the recipe calls for them to be baked. VERY easy and VERY yummy. Just make a honey/soy sauce/ginger/garlic sauce and pour over. We'll have it with rice and salad. See, NT doesn't HAVE to be hard!

#79 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan
I say baby steps. Unless they really embrace the NT way/philosophy/science, they will be totally overwhelmed and give up.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts!
I agree with this - it might be easier for them to do a whole foods diet and work towards NT. I like to cook and NT has been hard for our family to do, we are still taking baby steps. I have been very excited and happy that we are eating more fruits/vegs and less processed foods or at least better quality processed foods. I have a feeling that all of NT is not going to work for us, but I am still trying.
#80 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 06:11 PM

I decided on taco salad . . . using sprouted corn tortilla chips Anyone have a recipe for taco seasoning?
#81 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 06:29 PM

I have had the exact same problem making yogurt from raw milk...I did find I got a better result when I propped open the lid of my yogurt maker to keep the temp a bit lower. But even then it didn't seem quite right. I also drained it to thicken which helped. I will try the yogourmet starter.
#82 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I decided on taco salad . . . using sprouted corn tortilla chips Anyone have a recipe for taco seasoning?
I just throw in cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and maybe oregano. And some salt. Works for us!

#83 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 07:12 PM

Just discovered those sprouted corn tortillas

Celrae or provocativa, have either of you made corned beef before? What do you think of the NT recipe for it? Does it look like it would work or should I try for another one?

GaleForce, been wondering how your family has been doing since your uncle's passing.
#84 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Brown your ground beef (if that's what you're using) with a large onion chopped fine, a few cloves of garlic, and I like to throw in a little coconut oil. Add cumin, chili powder, paprika, corriander, salt and pepper. (be generous with the spices!) Let it fry a few minutes so it brings out the flavor of the spices.
#85 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 09:34 PM

subbing. . .
#86 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
As far as I know raw milk yogurt is always going to be runnier than when using pasturized. I just drain mine a little if I want it thicker. Also when it is curdled and lots of whey on top that usually means it got too hot or too much starter. I have also had the Fage brand greek yogurt curdle, but not the jars with a different brand and I did them same time same way. So maybe try yogurtmet or another good yogurt. I am wondering what bacteria was is the Fage brand compared to the other yogurt I used. I know different bacteria need different ranges of temps. When and if I get time.............
This is the article to read for that:

To Heat or Not To Heat, A Yogurt Question
http://www.westonaprice.org/motherlinda/yogurt.html

I've never had trouble with Yogourmet starter either. I use a 40 watt bulb with a pizza stone in my oven. But raw milk yogurt will always be a weird kind of texture.
#87 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian
Some more info here However for me the question is not so much whether Carlson's uses or doesn't use synthetics but rather is there an unbiased view of safe and effective levels of Vitamin A? I don't think enough comprehensive research has been done. Something is always being left out of the equation. We all know WAPF views but what things were being taken in along with the A that weren't studied? There's a long and dense article on the greenpasture site about the A issue. It's in pdf form, a dozen or so pages.
The "Vitamin A on Trial - Does Vitamin A Cause Osteoporosis" article at www.GreenPasture.org is copied from a recent Wise Traditions newsletter. The WAPF website only posts articles when their newsletter sells out. Chris Masterjohn did an incredible amount of work showing vitamin D is key to tempering vitamin A ... and why A should come from foods for that reason. Well worth the read.

Sorry, but I think they are it for accurate vitamin A information. Who else is going to do it.. the mainstream establishment still cannot figure out that there is actually a difference between synthetic and natural!

btw, this article on Vitamin A for Fetal Development is good too. Personally I think it says more to me on the consequences of not getting enough in our modern diets and why supplementation is crucial.
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...n-a-fetal.html

I'm reading EFLF and they are recommending 20,000 IU/day for A for health recovery plus eating liver once a week too.
#88 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian
Celrae or provocativa, have either of you made corned beef before? What do you think of the NT recipe for it? Does it look like it would work or should I try for another one?
I'm just finishing up going through my NT book for the first time. I remember hearing here and there little modifications to the recipes in it, how some of the recipes are a little "off". Would there be interest in a thread to list the modifications you've made to NT recipes that have "perfected" them? I'd love the info.......
#89 of 815 Old 05-02-2006, 11:02 PM

Wow, already on page 5!

I'd be really interested in a thread on the NT book corrections. I'm afraid to try the recipes. I seem to remember that the salt in the ginger carrots should be teaspoons instead of tablespoons, correct? That's all I've got.

I just got EFLF from the library last night. The recipes in there look great.

Ugh, I went to the dentist today and got x-rays since I hadn't in a few years with being out of state and then pregnant. 4 cavities! I don't eat many sweets or refined carbs but my parents have awful teeth and I've been kind of sidetracked with the baby and not so good about flossing. Now I'm totally freaked about getting cavities filled while nursing. Two of them are where mercury fillings are currently so they'd want to remove them. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask how long I can safely put it off.

Anyone have specific ideas for how I might help my teeth remineralize for the future or at least slow things down. I'm really bummed out today.

thanks, Kelly
#90 of 815 Old 05-03-2006, 12:01 AM

Yeah, I'd also like to hear from anyone that has made corned beef before. I just made some for the first time. I have nothing to compare to, but it seems right. Tastes fine to me, I'm trying to get more raw meats in to my diet. It's a little tough but if I slice and cut into smallish pieces its fine. It's supposed to be good for sandwhiches. I just got some sprouted spelt flour and plan on making some bread. I also want to use some of the corned beef for corned beef hash, DH has been asking for hash.

Another raw meat adventure of mine I tried this week Laab Isaan (Thai style raw beef). Very yummy! My 3 yr old loves it too.

I am so happy with my kefir grains. They are making some really yummy thick kefir. I brew for 24 hours in my cupboard and then stick it in the fridge for a day and its perfect, I love it. I just had some with 2 egg yolks added, some stevia, and some freshly grated nutmeg.

I tried giving my 7 month egg yolk a few times in the past month. The first 2 times no noticeable reaction, she seemed to like it. The 3rd time she puked...not just spitting up....but puked several times. So I guess I'll be waiting much longer on that! I felt so horrible! She still has a quite a gag reflex I think I'm just skipping solids altogether for a bit longer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page