NT May Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2006, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep! Honey and fruit are SCD legal! milk and cream is not--unless they are made in to yogurt for 24 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 02:01 PM

honey is fine, eggs are fine and dairy is fine-as long as it's free of lactose. I'm wondering if I could modify your recipe for us...dh would take it as is (and I do mean my husband!)
Old 05-03-2006, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
But I was wondering if honey is OK for people on the SCD diet. I just did a regular candida diet and have never read the SCD book.
Ah- I thought you were asking if honey was NT.

Even if you choose not to use honey yourself, I think it's fine to make compromises like that with kids as a transition into healthier foods.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 05-03-2006, 02:20 PM

Too bad I didn't know about SCD. That candida diet is a bugger.

I think you can definitely add kefir instead to your custard and temper the sour with more honey.

The NT custard recipe is 1 c milk, 1 c cream, 1/4 c Rapadura, 5 egg yolks, and 1 tsp vanilla.

You gently heat the milk and cream and in a separate bowl mix the sugar, yolks, and vanilla. Then you mix the two (milk +eggs) in a bowl, put in a baking dish nested in another baking dish. Put water in the bigger baking dish. Bake at 325 until fork comes out clean (1 hour +)

Instead of the Rapadura, I use honey because it's the cheapest source and tends to fold into the mixture better. I've used maple syrup at times too. I think I only use about 2 tbs of honey.

it's all forgiving on ingredients and proportions, so if don't have cream, I just use more milk.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:22 PM

I have been making the NT custard with honey for years, and it is SOOOO good. Except when you forget about it during dinner (while company is over) and it is in for 2 hours! Had to throw those ramekins out!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
Ah- I thought you were asking if honey was NT.

Even if you choose not to use honey yourself, I think it's fine to make compromises like that with kids as a transition into healthier foods.
That's just it Ruthla, this kid has grown up NT and still won't eat anything. He's only discovered all the bad stuff out there because of preschool and that was just one year ago. He's 4 now and has been picky all of his life.

I did make an experimental cake for his preschool birthday party last week and he and one other boy are the only ones who ate most of theirs. Other comments were "it tastes like sand!" (there was some sugar on top in the sauce that had not fully dissolved). No I need to meet the mom of the only other child who thought the cake was good.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:24 PM

I have been making a savory custard for my 11month old. I use bone broth, pastured eggs and sea salt. He loves how it squishes

I got the idea from a Korean restaurant I went to a while back, they served us a steaming fish broth custard with all the other pickled dishes that are put out. It was delicious!
Old 05-03-2006, 04:43 PM

Hey Clucky, can you post a recipe?

Old 05-03-2006, 04:54 PM

So what about the pate? Can you make it with beef liver?

Amanda, that custard sounds divine! I think I would really like it. My dc love pudding, I bet they'd like custard, too.

I made something with eggs recently that was good. I cooked some kale and garlic in coconut oil and put it in a muffin pan. Then I lightly scrambled some eggs, and poured it over the kale. I topped it with some feta, and baked it until the eggs were set, maybe 15 min.? It was very good. I'm going to make it again with chard or spinach (because that's what I have), and put some chicken sausage on the bottom of the muffin cups first.

Well, I guess I've truly moved away from mainstream! My ds has a friend over who will not eat anything I've made so far, except a PB sandwich and some dessert-type muffins with chocolate chips. Not even homemade ice-cream! My children eat just about everything, and their health shows it. This poor child doesn't eat much of anything, and HIS health shows it.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:58 PM

for the custard I just sorta mixed things up till it seemed right

I used two eggs, but will probably just use yolks next time. Mixed them up in a bowl with a fork with as much broth as I thought made a nice runny consistancy and put in a few shakes of sea salt.

I set two ramikens in a cake pan and filled them with the liquid, then I filled the cake pan with hot water almost to the level of the custard in the cups. I put it in the oven at 350 degrees (probably, I don't remember ) they are done when you stab one with a knife and it comes out clean. About 40 minutes.

Hope that is somewhat helpful
Old 05-03-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
So what about the pate? Can you make it with beef liver?

I made something with eggs recently that was good. I cooked some kale and garlic in coconut oil and put it in a muffin pan. Then I lightly scrambled some eggs, and poured it over the kale. I topped it with some feta, and baked it until the eggs were set, maybe 15 min.? It was very good. I'm going to make it again with chard or spinach (because that's what I have), and put some chicken sausage on the bottom of the muffin cups first.
Oh my GOSH, that sounds good right now. Can I come over?
On the pate question, most of what I've read says that beef liver pate is a bit strong, but I have no experience myself. I think the NT recipe even advises against using only chicken liver, thinking that you need to include some duck liver. If you decide to try it with beef, please post your results - I have some beef liver coming, and I have no idea what to do with it other than to grind it up and hide it in foods
Old 05-03-2006, 05:47 PM

Pate: I usually make mine with beef liver, and I don't find it too strong at all.

Equipment: Lately I've really come to appreciate my dehydrator. I've been doing a lot of nuts and seeds in it, and love that it doesn't tie up the oven days at a time.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:55 PM

Thought I would share -- I got the most amazing butter from my local WAP chapter leader (who is now my doc as well!) It's not at all cheap -- $8 a pound! -- but it is unbelievably gooooooood. It's PastureLand http://www.pastureland.coop/ -- flash pasteurized, so not raw, but it is made with organic cream and is cultured. I don't use it for just anything -- it's best saved for when you really want that buttery flavor to star.

I didn't know what to think at first when I looked at the ingredients, which list "natural flavoring," but it turns out that it's the cultures with a bit of lactic acid added.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:23 PM

subbing

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:50 PM

I'm eating chicken liver! My first time eating liver, and it really isn't bad. I blenderized about a pound of chicken liver, mixed in two eggs, added some salt, chili powder, and garlic powder, and about 1/2 cup of very finely chopped pecans and fried it like a pancake in coconut oil.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
Well, I guess I've truly moved away from mainstream! My ds has a friend over who will not eat anything I've made so far, except a PB sandwich and some dessert-type muffins with chocolate chips. Not even homemade ice-cream! My children eat just about everything, and their health shows it. This poor child doesn't eat much of anything, and HIS health shows it.
The same is true at my house. The neighbor girls comes over and she won't eat anything I serve. She is in very poor health right now. She is 4 years old and has lost 5 pounds in the last six months, chronic sinus issues, and strep 3 times this winter. The parents are going to remove her tonsils to try and help her. That is the last thing she needs! I have tried to talk to the mom about diet and she just dosen't want to hear. Thanks, for letting me vent. I am so glad that I have the resources and will to make sure that my girls eat well and stay healthy.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:59 PM

My NT book is still packed, could someone please let me know how to make crispy nuts?

I haven't done it but basically isn't it soaking then slowly drying?

I am doing almonds if that matters.

Thanks

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 05-04-2006, 01:05 AM

Thanks to everyone about all the info about raw milk yogurt.

What I am not understanding is that I always used Dannon before with past. milk and never had any issue. I am using a yogurt maker so the temp should be ok. I tried to eat it today and the taste is just off, like sourcream or something. The texture was good. I couldn't stomach it. I will try again and watch my temps more careful. I will look into the yogourmet starter as well, I was wanting to get some non-dairy starter to try for lil' man.

on picky kids: ds is a pretty adventurous eater as well. Everyone is just amazed by all the healthy things he eats. He isn't offered anything unhealthy so he really doesn't have a choice. All I hear is, my kid wouldn't eat that it's healthy. I want to say of course they won't, how can parents even expect there kids to try healthy things if (1) they don't fix it or (2) they eat crap themselves. UGH!!!

re:necessary NT items: a food processor, dehydrater. Some good cast iron skillets. Tons of Mason jars or crocks or both! A freezer to buy some good pasture fed meat and buy in bulk.

re: beef liver: How about mixing it in for Jerky? Or about adding it in with some other ground meat for other recipes?

Coconut milk Ice Cream
- Hey has anyone made ice cream from coconut milk? I am thinking about trying to make some for ds. He could use the extra fat and it sounds yummy. I was thinking with the high fat content I could just use cans of the milk and add some vanilla and honey. Any thoughts?

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:07 AM

Can I make cream cheese with my yogurt? Or something approximating cream cheese? Would I make this by simply draining as much whey as possible from the yogurt?

I've been thinking about having some cream cheese, but I hate to go buy it when I have an abundant supply of raw, pastured milk and cream!

Celrae, you know what is sad, is this mom thinks she is providing good nutrition to her Dc. They only have sodas a couple times a week, so it's a treat, right? But her son is on two different allergy meds., plus antibiotics for a sinus infection, and he's slightly plump. He's 3 days younger than my son, and weighs probably 20 lbs. more. And my son isn't a small child! My ds is tall for his age, and is solid; not fat AT ALL, just very dense and muscular. I just feel sad for all these children who grow up eating so much junk, and they think it's "normal" food. What a terrible legacy regarding food to give children!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
Coconut milk Ice Cream[/B]- Hey has anyone made ice cream from coconut milk? I am thinking about trying to make some for ds. He could use the extra fat and it sounds yummy. I was thinking with the high fat content I could just use cans of the milk and add some vanilla and honey. Any thoughts?
Just had some tonight. And this time I added cocoa powder! Yum! I usually add some goat's or cow's milk to the coconut milk and use whatever sweetener strikes me. Honey or rapadura with coconut, usually. I always add vanilla to my ice cream, no matter what flavor as well. Try it. You can't go wrong!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 05-04-2006, 01:12 AM

HerthElde- I think perhaps it would be best to just try and go to whole foods first, as others have suggested.

Keeping things like;
whole grain breads, tortillas, pastas
pre-made sauces and condiments (that are reasonably healthy)
canned beans- or showing them how to soak, cook a batch and freeze some

Dh's all time favorite easy meal is pasta with sauce. So, I keep whole grain pasta for him and sauce- preferrably homemade, but I am out of what I canned right now.

If you have beans, tortillas and some cheese that can be an awesome meal.

I think I would try and imitate what he already likes to eat. Maybe freeze some homemade sloppy joe type mix.

I made a deer loin and froze it in individual portions for dh. This didn't take any extra time as I put it in at the same time I was cooking one for dinner. It is great plain, or throw some bbq sauce on and it is heavenly.

Or how about homemade frozen soup? That is quick, traditional and very NT.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:23 AM

Gardenmommy- Yep, you've got the idea of yogurt cheese. I have a colander that fits over a bowl, line it with a towel, pour in the yogurt and let it sit on the counter until it looks good.

OK, so now I think I will just try heating the milk like I did the past. milk before after reading the article from Jane. I so miss my wonderful homemade yogurt!!

Old 05-04-2006, 01:25 AM

yitlan- your icecream sounds very yummy! Lil' man doesn't tolerate dairy cow or goat so I will have to leave that out. I do have some chocolate almond milk though that might make a good addition, although I am not sure how he tolerates chocolate either

Old 05-04-2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
yitlan- your icecream sounds very yummy! Lil' man doesn't tolerate dairy cow or goat so I will have to leave that out. I do have some chocolate almond milk though that might make a good addition, although I am not sure how he tolerates chocolate either
It'll be fine and yummy with just coconut milk, sweetener and vanilla. You could even add some egg yolks if you like.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:45 AM

man you guys are making me miss my fresh milk and cream. waaa....I wanna live on a farm where I can grown my own food....lol
the icecream sounds heavenly...although trying to lose weight I am sure dh would freak if he saw me making it..lol someone who we think eats absolutely horribly mentioned to us the other day that they had yogurt and ice cream in the fridge...and the yogurt had more sugar in it than the icecream..he was feeding his kids IC for breakfast..lol I guess I am not surprised but not sure dh would go for that explantion should I try and use it..lol
Old 05-04-2006, 10:44 AM

Hi everyone: My name is Sebrina. I have three little boys and we have been eating NT since January. My middle son has terrible tooth decay, we found out in December and I was devasted. We had been dairy free for 5 years. I started to question if the desicions I made to keep my kids healthy were all wrong and I felt terribly guilty. Since learning about NT we have slowly added some dairy back into our diets. I live in Canada and it is illegal to sell raw milk here so I have been giving the boys Organic Un-homoginzed Yogurt. Organic Cultured Butter and using organic whole milk for cooking. Just the other day I started to keep track of exactly what my boys are eating and the nutrient value to see if they are getting enough calclium Magnesium, Protien, Iron ect..... I make these cookies that they really love as a treat. Bascially this is the ingredients
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup rapadura
1 egg
1 cup spelt flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup organic chocolate chips (optional)
I am trying to figure out the nutrient value and I am hoping you all can help me. The recipe makes 24 cookies and calls for 3/4 cup Rapadura. There 48 tsp of sugar in 1 cup, so there are 36 tsp in 3/4 cup, right? Therefore there is 1.5g of sugar per cookie, right? lol I am bad at math. Now I just need to figure out the rest of the nutrients in these cookies . Then it's on too the pancakes, lol.
Sebrina
Old 05-04-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrinaw
I make these cookies that they really love as a treat. Bascially this is the ingredients
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup rapadura
1 egg
1 cup spelt flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup organic chocolate chips (optional)
I can't help much with nutritional values, but I'd love to get the details on this recipe. I'm a sucker for anything with chocolate chips! Mix all together, make tsp sized cookies and bake at ? for ? minutes? Please share!

Old 05-04-2006, 11:31 AM

1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup rapadura (mix together)
1 egg (add egg to above)
1 cup spelt flour (In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup organic chocolate chips (optional) Mix dry and wet
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes

Sebrina
Old 05-04-2006, 11:49 AM