Soda in Schools/Please comment on link... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-03-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh, I know this is a *step* in the right direction (soda in schools). But, are they serious? Diet soda is the better alternative! Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd so much rather my child have regular soda than DIET chock full with artificial sweeteners.

Thankfully, the diet sodas will be reserved for only High Schools, and the middle/elementary schools will not have soda available but still. WOW!

Here's the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12604166/

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#2 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 08:17 AM

I agree, I'd rather have sugar than chemicals anyday.
We are fortunate that there aren't any pop machines in our kids' schools. They do have a juice/water machine at the middle and high schools, but they aren't allowed to purchase anything during school hours.
#3 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 08:28 AM

I don't think there needs to be soda machines in any school. I don't allow my kids to drink soda at all at home, with all the other junk kids eat and drink these days, I just don't think they need it.

Aren't schools required to offer the kids healthy options? I just don't see why you would offer them to purchase soft drink when they can choose from white or chocolate milk and a variety of juices. I believe they can also purchase bottled water and flavored water. I think all the sods should be cut out.
#4 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkenny
I agree, I'd rather have sugar than chemicals anyday.
Me too. I rarely drink soda (the occasional root beer float), but I never EVER use artificial sweeteners.
#5 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 12:44 PM

diet IS worse. just like sugar-free gum is worse than gum w/ sugar in it. i hope it's true about removing soda machines from all schools. definitely a good "baby step" in the right direction.
#6 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

According to my dh (who works for a school), high school kids will still have access to the diet drinks as well as other "alternatives". Thankfully, the school system we plan on sending our ds to is currently working on setting their soda machines on timers so they will only work during lunch and after school.

But, I was still shocked that diet soda is considered better than regular soda! It's just insane.

#7 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Wife And Mom
I don't think there needs to be soda machines in any school. I don't allow my kids to drink soda at all at home, with all the other junk kids eat and drink these days, I just don't think they need it.

Aren't schools required to offer the kids healthy options? I just don't see why you would offer them to purchase soft drink when they can choose from white or chocolate milk and a variety of juices. I believe they can also purchase bottled water and flavored water. I think all the sods should be cut out.
:

I think that high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners are probably equally damaging. It's sad the way SCHOOLS ALLOW food and beverage manufacturers to market themselves to kids! It would seem logical, if I were still a kid, that if a SCHOOL has soda in it and a school is where I learn good stuff, then wouldn't soda be okay? Certainly my school wouldn't let me have something that would hurt me? UGGH!!
#8 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 04:55 PM

I heard this and thought it was disgusting. It's sad, though, because many parents will think it's better/ok for the kids to drink the diet. I've recently cut out all soda from my diet, and I'm so happy I did. All those chemicals...

-chelsea dust.gif
#9 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 11:17 PM

it seems like they are looking at the calories in the soda and that is why regular soda will be banned but diet will be ok.
however, juices and sports drinks will still be allowed. have you seen the amount of sugar in stuff like powerade? its almost as unhealthy as regular soda. (i will give it some credit that there's some vitamins in it.) the minute maid "juice" drinks (fruit punch, etc) are little juice, all sugar, and some vitamin c.
i work in the schools (mostly high school), and it drives me nuts to see students drinking whole milk! i know different people here have different opinions on milk, but i think everyone would agree that if a high school student was drinking milk, skim or 1% is healthier than whole.
not to mention all the garbage that is sold for lunch! they serve small round pizzas (sometimes plain cheese, sometimes pepperoni) and chicken patties for lunch every day! mozzarella sticks and chicken poppers are served often too. its all frozen and processed. (anyone see "super size me"?)
its a small step in the right direction. but like i've seen written elsewhere, its like puting a band aid on a broken leg.
#10 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 AM

I had to laugh when I saw it on the nwes last night. They are going on and on like this was some huge consessions. but diet drinks, fruit juice (it is so high in sugar and has very few nutrients, some have vitamin C but otherwise it is glorified sugar water) and chocolate milk (which has more sugar in 8 ounces than a hershey bar). whatever happened to milk or water for choices? if they want pop they can drink it at home.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#11 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 12:24 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
pop is so bad for you but, Diet is really bad for you!

the tooth decay is on the rise so i think thats why they are putting diet in schools!

i just think that pop should be taken out of schools all together!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#12 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well, you know, schools actually get $ to have these soda machines. So basically they are selling our kids' health for a little $ (dh works for a school).

So, I also agree that all soda machines should be out (along with all the 10% juice drinks, etc) but with the $ tied to it - it seems unlikely.

#13 of 13 Old 05-06-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peilover010202
Well, you know, schools actually get $ to have these soda machines. So basically they are selling our kids' health for a little $ (dh works for a school).

So, I also agree that all soda machines should be out (along with all the 10% juice drinks, etc) but with the $ tied to it - it seems unlikely.
: And the "juices" that are in those machines are produced by those soda companies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page