NT while travelling/on the go - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-04-2006, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are finding ourselves away from home a lot lately. I was just wondering if anyone would like to share their ideas for maintaining a trad. diet while away from your own kitchen. What's easy to make and take? What kind of places do you eat at?

I find we have better luck eating at asian restaurauts where we can get fresh veggie stir-frys, soups, and rice noodle dishes (although these are usually all cheat meals in one way or another). I try to bring homemade nut bars along, jerky, fresh fruit/veggies, cheese, and a loaf of sourdough bread (when we are eating bread!) in a small cooler with an ice pack, but of course the ice thaws after a day or so. I would love other ideas. grain/rice/corn/starch free ideas would be great. Thanks.
#2 of 8 Old 05-04-2006, 05:49 PM

I wish I had lots of ideas, but unfortunately, I'm sort of in the same boat. I find that for the first day or maybe two, we do ok with keeping things cold on ice. I do try to find things that are ok without ice, but it's hard to have grain-free things that don't need refrigeration, kwim?

So, we'll compromise and take organic cereals or crackers, or muffins/cookies/bars that I've made.

Crispy nuts do well. Apples, grapes, bananas (as long as you eat them fairly quickly), oranges.

As far as eating out, we usually stick to sandwich-type shops where we can get salads or something similar. My dc don't care for aisan food, so that's not an option for us. As I said, we usually compromise, because it's hard to do NT while you're travelling, short of bringing all your own food.

I'm afraid I'm not too much help!
#3 of 8 Old 05-04-2006, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate any help I can get!
Actually, I never thought of nuts. I've been doing a type of cereal lately using chopped nuts and seeds with butter, coconut, and eating with coconut milk. The "cereal" could easily be pre-mixed and brought along with a can of coconut milk (as long as I don't forget the can opener!).
#4 of 8 Old 05-04-2006, 11:16 PM

Wow-that cereal sounds amazing! Fatty and fabulous!
#5 of 8 Old 05-04-2006, 11:56 PM

glad that something was helpful!
#6 of 8 Old 05-05-2006, 04:19 AM

Random thoughts from me as it's friday night & it's been a very long week!

How long do you go for & are you able to cook any of your own food ? What about access to a fridge in the evenings ? Do you get chilly bins where you are ? They are mainly used for taking beer to the beach but dead useful for keeping food cool while you're away.

What about bringing some raw milk or yoghurt in a thermos flask to keep it cool? dh has one of those stainless flasks you can't break as he works in construction. The flask he has you can put food in as well so I would bring something like a curry with me & heat it up in the morning & put it in the flask. I have a very nice NT friendly lamb curry recipe that ages very well out of the fridge & is better each time you reheat it.

If you have access to a fridge in the evenings, I'd just bring the raw milk with me. I took a weeks supply with me last time we went on holiday. Plus a whole heap of oatmeal & a pint of whey so I could make oatmeal for breakfast. I'm sure it says somewhere in NT about how they used to cook a weeks worth of oatmeal in one go & pour it into the drawer in the dresser & cut it out in squares every day to reheat it. Living in scotland is pretty much like living in a fridge so that may not be a good example of something that keeps out of the fridge I'd bring cultured cream instead of fresh cream.

As we are coastal, fish & a simple green salad are always good choices when eating out. Otherwise, I'd go for steak & salad.

What about pemmican ? I made some once with coconut oil & maple syrup & ground up dried beef & it was yummy.

What about some lacto fermented pickles or some kraut to go with sourdough bread & cheese ?

Kombucha would probably travel well.

Quiches or fritata are nice cold & it would be an ideal excuse to make that awesome chocolate cake peripathetic posted the recipe for on the NT april thread so there was no temptation of non-NT sweet things while away

The other thing is to network NT friendly contacts where you are travelling so you can go visit their raw milk supplier when you are away or you can find out the best places to shop for NT foods where you are going.
#7 of 8 Old 05-08-2006, 02:28 PM

Anyone tried the coconut cream http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/co...oncentrate.htm ? It is supposedly powdered coconut that you can add water/juice to and have a yummy drink. We are going on a cruise, so I can't really bring anything. Thought I would AT LEAST bring a jar of this and add it to drinks. Any thoughts?
#8 of 8 Old 05-08-2006, 04:22 PM

When I go camping, I make Scotch Eggs, which are soooo nummy and I think they are pretty NT!

Hard boil eggs, only do them so the yolk is not quite done--I usually do them for about 10-12 minutes (I live at just about 5K feet). Peel and chill well. Next get some pork sausage--you will need 2oz or so for each egg. When you are ready to make your Scotch eggs, make really thin patties from the sausage and wrap them around the eggs, making sure that all the egg is covered and pinch the seam closed. Continue on with all the eggs. You can either deep fry them, or bake them at 350 for about 25-30 min. Before doing either, dip the sausage/egg mixture in beaten eggs and roll in either fine, dry bread crumbs or cornmeal. These are actually quite popular at tea time in the UK. Just slice them in half and have with a bit of mustard--oh so yummy!! good hot or cold.

Another dish that travels well for me is tabbouleh, so long as you have a cooler. Hummus with veggies or sourdough bread works well, as do fruit and cheese--as others have suggested. I make a crustless quiche that can be done in an 8x8 pan and cut into squares. If you would like the recipe, just send me a pm!

hth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page