kefir "sour cream"?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-16-2006, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
g&a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were out of sour cream tonight and I had kefir sitting on the counter all separated (I hadn't stirred it yet) so I gave DH a spoonfull of the top, thick layer and he liked it - just said the texture "was all wrong". This is pretty good for someone who doesn't like anything his mother didn't make.
I wondered if anyone had made "sour cream" out of kefir. I am letting my kefir strain in a cheezecloth until supper tomorrow night and we'll see if that is more the right texture.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-17-2006, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
g&a

So, I let the kefir "strain" in cheeze cloth for about 2 hours and voila! Kefir sour cream! It is the right consistency, at least, not quite the right taste. i'm sure you wouldn't notice on tacos which is where we are planning on using it. Of course they WILL notice because they are very picky about mainstream things. Anyone know how to "improve" the taste? What I really mean is to make it more like the "real thing".

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#3 of 6 Old 05-17-2006, 02:44 AM

I have recently put my grains directly into cream and kefir that cream. It makes a mild sour cream/creme fraiche. Yummy!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#4 of 6 Old 05-17-2006, 04:21 AM

I've been straining mine through cheesecloth and mixing in a little honey and giving it to my 4 year old. He thinks it is the expensive yoghurt we get at the markets and I haven't corrected him he's eating a lot of it which makes me happy! To me it has a more yoghurty taste than a sour cream taste....maybe let it sit for longer to get more sour? Putting the grains in cream is a good idea.
#5 of 6 Old 05-17-2006, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
g&a

Mine is actually already fairly sour - I think about just right for sour cream.
We have lactose issues so I culture it longer, then left this batch on the counter after straining another day. The texture is perfect, just not sure if the family will love the taste (like I said, they're funny about new things).

g.

#6 of 6 Old 05-17-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel
I've been straining mine through cheesecloth and mixing in a little honey and giving it to my 4 year old. He thinks it is the expensive yoghurt we get at the markets and I haven't corrected him he's eating a lot of it which makes me happy! To me it has a more yoghurty taste than a sour cream taste....maybe let it sit for longer to get more sour? Putting the grains in cream is a good idea.
Oh, boy, I'm happy you said that. I'm going to try this.

Today, I tried water buffalo milk yogurt for the first time. Thick, rich, super creamy with no twang. I was hooked at first bite. My kids went into a feeding frenzy over it. Too bad it was like $1.80 for the little container. Unfortunately, it was homogenized and pasturized, too. I'd gladly take pasturized but not homogenized for yogurt.

So this might be a good substitute. I told my hubby I had a new addiction. LOL I'm going to try goat milk yogurt next. I'll try kefiring some cream in the mean-time. Thanks!

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page