How long is Kefir good? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-22-2006, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an unopened bottle of Helios brand kefir. It's dated 4/17/06 but doesn't say if that's a use by or sell by date. It seems like the kind of thing that would still be okay to use but since it smells kind of sour to begin with I don't know how to tell.

Suzy

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#2 of 2 Old 05-22-2006, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kefir should just continue to get sour as more of the sugars are used up and it continues to ferment.

Saying that, if you have a bottle of store bought kefir from April (it's almost June) I would toss it. It's not worth risking there being other unpleasant bacterias growing, as the 'life' of the good ones might be at an end, from lack of food 'sugar' to keep them happy and healthy.

I'm guessing the worst is probably that it is REALLY sour tasting now and would be unpleasant to say the least...but on the conservative side, I would not risk drinking it, JIC. Store bought kefir strains are NOT as 'strong' and well keeping as Kefir made from Live Kefir Grains.

Heather

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page