Another NT infant formula question for tube feed toddler? HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2006, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I started making Jonathon's formula tonight since everything arrived today for the raw cow's milk formula according to the NT book I have, however I do have one question. Is the coconut oil absolutely necessary? I asked this since he is tube fed and it clumps up and I am afraid it will clog the line. I could warm it up before putting it in the bag, but yet I know it would still clump back up as the temperature cools again. He is only fed nightly and two bolus feeds during the day. Maybe I should just add it to the two boluses, but not sure if that would be a good idea since it would be about 4 ounces of formula between the two and that may be too much oil to that little amount of formula. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I lied, one more question. It asked for gelatin but would he really need it since it is a thickener and doesn't seem needed since he is tube fed, but it does say it aids in healthy digestion, so maybe I should continue to use it, but hopefully it won't thicken it up too much, KWIM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2006, 11:58 PM

You do really need the coconut oil because it's a superfood, as is the gelatin. The temp only needs to be like 75 degrees for the oil to stay liquid-y, is your house anywhere close to that warm?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:21 AM

I would definitely add the gelatin as it is really good for you...the formula's designed to go through a bottle so I would think it wouldn't be too thick for a tube.

As for the coconut oil...are his feeds cold, warm, or room temperature? If you can give them slightly warm or at room temperature I would think the coconut oil would be fine, although it might end up being easiest to add it separately each time so you don't have to warm up the whole batch of formula and mix in the coconut oil. Or maybe you could use a blender, melt the oil, and then add it very slowly like you would for homemade mayonnaise? I don't know if that would damage any of the rest of the ingredients, though.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

His room stays anywhere between 73-75 degrees. I have to keep it cool since he is so hot natured and restless if it's any warmer than that and with his equipment running at night he needs that puts out a lot of heat we use a fan to blow the cooler air from the hallway into his room, if not his room gets like 78 degrees according to his digital thermometer in his room. I will see how it does tonight, I am sure if it can get through the tube it will be fine. I will just keep using it like the NT formula calls to be on the safe side and give him all the benefits of it I can.

Yet another question though...

When it calls for heavy cream, isn't that the cream off the top of the raw milk right?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:14 AM

Yep
Old 05-23-2006, 02:17 AM

coconut oil contains lauric acid-also found in breastmilk and is very important for a baby's gut. Gelatin will also aid in healing up the intestines. I would do everything I could to keep them both. Oh-coconut oil will also help kill yeast (a nice benefit...thank you caprylic acid.)

User Tag List