Where did kefir ORIGINALLY come from? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-22-2006, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read a good chunk of the archived kefir thread. This is totally new to me. I have a question- where did kefir originally come from? Way back a long time ago was there a "first batch" of kefir grains? Is it something that someone developed, or is this particular combination of bacteria and yeast found somewhere naturally? I just need to learn a little more because I was trying to tell dh about it and he's asking about the safety, etc.

Does Whole Foods sell the grains, or just finished products?

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 05-22-2006, 10:55 PM

I have always wanted to know this too, but have been too lazy to google it!
Whole foods sells starter and finished product, but not the grains.
#3 of 9 Old 05-22-2006, 11:07 PM

#4 of 9 Old 05-22-2006, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up doing a search and found some sites with the history. Very interesting!

Dh is interested since one site said it could help his psoriasis. He's been putting prescription creams on his hands for YEARS and it never goes away completely.

Dh is making me ask my ob if it's okay for me to drink kefir. Will my ob even know what I'm talking about? Once I asked a doctor about probiotics and he didn't know what they were! I'm going to an ob appointment tomorrow; I guess I'll go ahead and ask and see what he says.

Is there a measurable alcohol content in kefir from the fermentation? That would be my main concern.
#5 of 9 Old 05-22-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inclothdiapers
Dh is making me ask my ob if it's okay for me to drink kefir. Will my ob even know what I'm talking about? Once I asked a doctor about probiotics and he didn't know what they were! I'm going to an ob appointment tomorrow; I guess I'll go ahead and ask and see what he says.

Is there a measurable alcohol content in kefir from the fermentation? That would be my main concern.
It is not likely that your OB has ever heard of kefir,

The alcohol content in milk kefir is so low it is not even worth worrying about. At all. With some very sweet fruit juices you can get the content in range of alcoholic, but I've even added some sugar and they haven't been as alcoholic as beer or wine.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#6 of 9 Old 05-22-2006, 11:47 PM

Oh gosh, I drank alot of Kefir while pregnant and when I first had my son. Probably 2 cups a day. The alcohol content is nothing to be worried about. Kefir is perfectly safe in pregnancy.
#7 of 9 Old 05-23-2006, 01:05 AM

If your ob doesn't have a problem with you drinking / eating yogurt, then kefir is fine. It's just a wider spectrum form of yogurt.
#8 of 9 Old 05-23-2006, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

My ob had never heard of kefir! I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I basically told him what it was and he said that's fine. He said just stay away from unpasteurized soft cheeses from Mexico!

I went to the Whole Foods today for the 1st time in over 2 years; it's so far from my house but I just figured out it's only a few minutes from my doctor (I drive pretty far for that because I REALLY like my doctor!). All I bought was some kefir, strawberry-banana flavor. I figured that would be a good way to get started for now. I've NEVER liked yogurt so I'm not sure I"ll like the taste of this, but I figure I can always use it in place of milk when I make milkshakes or smoothies. If we decide to make homemade kefir it'll be a while from now after we finish summer vacation. The stuff I bought only has 10 varieties of microorganisms, so a far cry from the 30+ that is supposedly found in the homemade. But for now this might be a better sell with dh, since it's been refrigerated (at least after it was bottled, anyway), as opposed to me leaving milk sitting out on the counter for 24 hours! It's hard getting used to new ideas! Anyway, thanks for all the great info.
#9 of 9 Old 05-23-2006, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
According to tradition, the first kefir grains were a gift from G-d.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page