My kefir milkshake made me gag! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-23-2006, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My entire life I have avoided yogurt because I've always hated the taste and smell. Today I bought some kefir beverage at Whole Foods just to try (before committing to culturing it myself). I went ahead and got strawberry-banana flavor hoping that would help me like it. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that it smelled like yogurt! So, I put some in a blender with vanilla ice cream and lots of fresh strawberries and made a milkshake. I took one sip and nearly gagged. I just can't stand that yogurt taste, even when there's all that other flavor added. My 3 children, however, couldn't get enough. They LOVED it.

Those of you with more kefir experience- is there anything that completely covers up that taste? Would adding lots of chocolate syrup to plain kefir do the trick? Or should I just make this a treat for the kids and give up on myself? I consider myself to be in good health and don't really have any issues, so it's not like I HAD to have this; just thought it was a great idea. I could always start taking probiotics if I felt the need.

And here's what might be a silly question, but I've always wondered- does frozen yogurt have live bacteria in it? I know that freezing won't kill them, just makes them dormant, and then they'd revive once thawed. But frozen yogurt tastes so good, I can't imagine it's actually really yogurt!
#2 of 5 Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 PM

I'm not sure if this will help you mask the flavor or not. I can't do kefir unless it's all blended up in things (and this is milk I've kefir'd myself), so I add:
a little juice (or raw milk)
frozen fruit (usually strawberries and mangos)
banana
kale leaf
honey or agave nectar
plus the slew of stuff I put in there (vit c, vitamineral green, whey protein powder)
When it's all done, it just tastes like my smoothie, but I have no idea if it carries the kefir/yogurt taste or not. My kids love it too, though it took them a while to get used to it (or took me a while to get the right combo of everything in there for them to like it).

In terms of frozen yogurt, I have no idea about that one ...

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 5 Old 05-24-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inclothdiapers
My entire life I have avoided yogurt because I've always hated the taste and smell. Today I bought some kefir beverage at Whole Foods just to try (before committing to culturing it myself). I went ahead and got strawberry-banana flavor hoping that would help me like it. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that it smelled like yogurt! So, I put some in a blender with vanilla ice cream and lots of fresh strawberries and made a milkshake. I took one sip and nearly gagged. I just can't stand that yogurt taste, even when there's all that other flavor added. My 3 children, however, couldn't get enough. They LOVED it.
Well, at least the kids enjoyed it! It's so beneficial for their developing digestive systems and it's healthier than just a regular milk shake. You sound just like my sister...she HATES yogurt..would rather die than drink the stuff. Maybe you can just get some 'probiotic pearls' that you can swollow with no taste or try Kombucha or water kefir. But you are probably reacting to the 'sour' taste of the lactic acid, rather than thickened milk and might find any 'lacto fermented' product highly disagreeable??

Quote:
Those of you with more kefir experience- is there anything that completely covers up that taste? Would adding lots of chocolate syrup to plain kefir do the trick? Or should I just make this a treat for the kids and give up on myself? I consider myself to be in good health and don't really have any issues, so it's not like I HAD to have this; just thought it was a great idea. I could always start taking probiotics if I felt the need.
There will always be a slight 'sour' undertone, unless you use a very small amount of Kefir or really strong flavors to cover it up. Freezing it might help if you add enough sugar and some regular cream to make it more like frozen yogurt, with some strong berry or other fruit flavors....

Quote:
And here's what might be a silly question, but I've always wondered- does frozen yogurt have live bacteria in it? I know that freezing won't kill them, just makes them dormant, and then they'd revive once thawed. But frozen yogurt tastes so good, I can't imagine it's actually really yogurt!
Frozen yogurt will have very little if any live bacteria left. When you freeze cells with liquid, ice crystals 'expand and burst' the cell walls, killing most if not all of them. They have nutritionally enriched the medium already though, and most of that (vitamin and mineral content) survives though, so the product does have more nutrients than say, frozen ice cream.

The dormant bacteria that can be frozen are dehydrated first, and then they (in powdered form) can be safely frozen and 'reactivated' in liquids....but even so, many will die if left frozen for too long. Most commercial frozen yogurt, like commercial Kefir, is lightly cultured to give it a slight sour taste, and then it might even be pasturized or have more 'regular' milk or cream added to it to dilute the sourness (all to assist in longer shelf lives to allow time for shipping and customers having it sitting in their refrigerator/freezer).

They do not want further souring in most frozen yogurts, though Kefir will continue (as it's not frozen) to cultivate the remaining milk (at a slower rate due to refrigeration) and won't taste like vinegar milk by the time you get it...

If you cannot stomache the 'fruity lightly cultured' commercial version, highly diluted into a milkshake as described..I seriously doubt you could even handle brewing 'real' Kefir in your kitchen. Do not waste your time/money. Just buy yogurt for the kids and or the store kefir to make them healthy milkshakes. It's going to save you money and (gag factor) in the long run! /hug

Hope that is some consolation and help. Unless you are doing or have done antibiotics in the past or present, you may not need the additional beneficial bacterial boost. But if you ever do, I'd suggest a powdered chewable tablet or a 'pearl'.

Heather
#4 of 5 Old 05-25-2006, 09:27 AM

The sourness of kefir can be controlled by how long you let it 'brew.' So you might like it better if you get some grains and do it yourself.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#5 of 5 Old 05-25-2006, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

It's been over 2 years since I last took antibiotics. I've only had 2 yeast infections in my life, the most recent last month (which I ended up treating with a prescription because nothing else was working). If I find that I have a problem with yeast again I will probably get probiotic tablets for myself. I will continue buying yogurt or kefir for the kids though, since they love it so much. I just can't stand the taste! It wasn't any picnic washing their cups either though- that thick film left on the cups grossed me out too (it doesn't help that I'm pg though!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page