SCD/NT cooks, when making "flour" and nut butters, what are your favorite nuts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-30-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My co-op is running a special next month on a few different nuts, so I'm thinking about getting the five pound containers of nuts so we can have a good supply on hand. I am attempting to completely cut out grains, but it is difficult. I'd like to have enough nuts on hand to make "breads" and other SCD substitutions an easy part of our lifestyle. So, what nuts do you use most frequently? I'm thinking almonds, and maybe brazil nuts?
#2 of 4 Old 05-31-2006, 04:27 AM

Well, ds can't tolerate almonds or cashews, and probably not walnuts. We like pecans (they make wonderful pancakes!), and we use a lot of pine nuts for things where you want a neutral flavor, with a little bit of sweetness. They're expensive, though, so if you can do almonds, I think they'd be a good choice (and a lot of SCD recipes call for them). We use brazil nuts when we're trying to save money, and where you can have a bit less neutral flavor, and definitely not sweet. Ds prefers them for snacking, too. If ds could tolerate them, we'd use cashews, too. I think they're another commonly used nut (nut butter, actually) in SCD recipes.

As I'm looking at this, I'm realizing I haven't exactly been helpful. I think the most common nuts in SCD are almond and cashew (and peanut butter). Pecans are nice to have on hand for a little change of pace (Jane has a cake recipe using them!). Really, almost any nut can be used, so choose the flavors you like the best and that will go with the flavors you like, and get those. And if you have any kind of trouble with tolerating foods, get a good variety so that you aren't eating too much of any one type of nut.

Good luck!
Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#3 of 4 Old 05-31-2006, 10:52 AM
EBG

I found that I could tolerate nuts much better after soaking and roasting as per NT. I was doing SCD without knowing about NT for a while and couldn't have anything with nuts. I was buying the unblanched nut flours.
I think it's a good idea not to buy ready-made flours and butter but make them yourself.
Almonds are great, make sure you remove the skins.
Pecans should be easier to digest than almonds and are high in manganese (?). Macademias have the perfect omega 6:3 ratio, 1:1 but they are expensive... brazil nuts are very high in selenium which you do need but not in excess, so I would be cautious about eating more than 1-2 a day.
Cashews and peanuts are quite moldy so they are not the best if you have a yeast issue. Walnuts are very high in omega 3, and so they go rancid very quickly. Freshly shelled walnuts are great. Pine nuts are really good with desserts and sprinkled on fish, meat or salads. For me they are too expensive to grind them into flour.
This info is mostly from NT and experience.

I just use a coffee grinder for "flour" and "butter", the result depends on the length of gringing. If you have a food processor, it's even better.
#4 of 4 Old 05-31-2006, 07:44 PM

In the case of ds, the nuts he reacts to are the ones he was eating so many of early on in his (quasi) elimination diet, right after we removed gluten. Once we started him on enzymes, he stopped losing foods. Peanuts aren't something he's ever eaten, though. We just don't eat those on principle, because of the mycotoxins. And, btw, we would rather not eat a lot pine nuts, since they're so expensive, but we get them at Costco, and dh and I don't eat very much. We reserve those for ds (except his birthday cake, and we each have one muffin when I make them). They make a very tasty product, though, which is why I mentioned them.

Another nut that I thought of is filberts (aka hazelnuts). They would be good in some things. They have a kind of strong (but good!) flavor, but would be really good in certain flavor combos. I would imagine they would make very good crackers. And we would be eating those, if they weren't one of ds's favorite nuts early on. I do fully anticipate that he will be able to eat a lot of the things he's lost, once he has more gut healing (no gluten, ever, though!).

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page