Mothering Forum banner

Eating NT from a hotel room

581 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  carnelian 
#1 ·
I need some help and ideas!

We're going to be staying in hotels for a good bit on and off this summer. I need to be able to provide 3 meals a day plus snacks with only a dorm fridge and a tiny sink. I need ideas for meals and snacks, preparation, recipes, anything you can give me. I have a small toaster oven that can also be a convection oven and a crockpot.

Edit: I should say that it looks like we'll be staying at least 2 days a week, sometimes as much as 5 days a week. So I've got to lot to come up with!

#2 ·
This is one I struggle with too. Usually we totally fall off the NT wagon when we are away from home, but I can share the few ideas I have. Plus having a toaster oven opens up your possiblilities.

I would suggest a tray/container of fresh fruit and veggies, cut up and ready for snacks; jerky; nut-seed-fat bars; a loaf of sourdough bread; butter and cheeses (then you can make toasted cheese sandwiches); honey; nut butter; a small container of cold cuts; and if you can bring a quart or two of milk/yogurt/kefir...maybe you could even bring a blender and make smoothies?

You might want to make ahead, then freeze your meals in aluminum trays that will fit into your toaster oven. They should keep good and cold for a few days in a little fridge.

#3 ·
Bring a cooler
You can pack raw milk, kefir or yogurt, grass-fed meat, maybe a couple jars of bone stock. If you bring a hotpot, then, you could whip up good soups with your stock, some of the meat and veggies you either bring or buy locally. Or you could cook rice in the stock in your hotpot. Bring sprouted grain breads and cooked meats, and you can make up sandwiches. You could cook up a couple of stews ahead of time and heat them up in the hotpot, or even in the hotel room coffeepot. If you bring a lot of your food frozen, pack it at the bottom of the cooler and it'll stay frozen for days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.