NT June Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OT: Must get off the computer now. I've been sitting here googling ways to keep the deer out of our garden- they've eaten all of our broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts plants!!
#302 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 05:51 PM

Tell me about it, Hibou. We finally enclosed our garden entirely, but we are limited in the landscape.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#303 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 06:16 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
I'm mailing water grains out Monday. anyone interested can send $4.50 funded paypal to sander(at)lightspeed.net They will arrive late next week via priority mail from California. They work a lot better than converted milk grains, IMO
I'd love to take you up on this offer if you have enough :
#304 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 06:19 PM

You all wouldn't believe me if I told you the amount of grains in my kitchen right now. The milk grains are at an all time low and the water grains have gone bananas.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#305 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 06:26 PM

so where do water grains come from? (and i'm not gonna believe "they came from the heavens" story!)

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#306 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
I think it was enzyme inhibitors in raw egg whites.
I thought it was because the whites contain avidin which is a protein that interferes with the body's absorption of biotin.
#307 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 08:01 PM

I have another question I've never fermented anything before and yesterday I soaked my whole wheat flour in buttermilk (from the store, not raw) it's been 24 hours now and I am getting ready to make the Basic Muffins from the NT cookbook but there is this brown liquid in the bowl around the dough.... is that okay???? I left it on the counter, not in the fridge or anything. Also, if you've made these muffins, can I add bananas to them?? TIA!!
#308 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 08:41 PM

I have always tried to pour out as much as the liquid as possible, and then mix the rest in. I would assume you can add banana to them. Have you seen the banana bread recipe? Maybe you can make banana bread muffins?

Just to warn you, I followed her recipe, and my muffins came out like little hocky pucks, LOL! It has been discussed here before how her baking recipes are a little off, so you might want to keep an eye on them.

Good luck!

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#309 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Kayla
I have always tried to pour out as much as the liquid as possible, and then mix the rest in. I would assume you can add banana to them. Have you seen the banana bread recipe? Maybe you can make banana bread muffins?

Just to warn you, I followed her recipe, and my muffins came out like little hocky pucks, LOL! It has been discussed here before how her baking recipes are a little off, so you might want to keep an eye on them.

Good luck!
Okay, thanks... I'll watch them. Hopefully they come out okay. I didn't get this message before I mixed everything though so I just mixed the liquid in. I hope that's okay!
I've always been taught to never eat raw eggs or meat, always throw out milk that's been out of the fridge longer than two hours, etc.... So it's weird to make something with milk in it that's been out for 24 hours! It's taking some adjusting getting used to this different way of thinking!!! :
#310 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 08:54 PM

Actually, i was quite wrong on testing fine on my bloodwork. Coincidentally, my blood work came back today (after me thinking no news was good news) and i do have hyperthyroid. Im glad to know that leptin helps this. I am worried that the endo that im supposed to see will want me to go on synthroid---i am breastfeeding number one so i dont want to take it, and number two i dont want another hormone in my body like that. I hope there is an herbal alternative. I know eating NT will help, as you said. Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri Patetic
First, congratulations on your HBA3C from another HBAC mom!!

On losing weight...before I started NT I was eating a tragically crappy diet...but even when I was eating "better" I still couldn't lose weight, no matter how much I cut calories/fat or exercised. Adding fat has helped me lose fat for sure! Something else I have recently been reading about is the book Mastering Leptin. Basically, the book explains how fat and leptin work in the body, including times the body is burning fat (at night and several hours after eating), but it boils down to five basic "rules":

1. Eat protein at breakfast
2. Don't snack between meals...meals should be 5-6 hours apart.
3. Don't eat after dinner -- allow at least three hours between dinner and bedtime (leaving 11-12 hours between dinner and breakfast)
4. Don't eat large meals (just eat until satisfied, not until stuffed)
5. Cut down on carbs, esp. refined

I thought it was really interesting because when I started eating NT, I was basically following this without knowing the rules. I stopped snacking for the most part because I simply wasn't hungry between meals. I cut down on sugar/grains (no refined carbs and little whole grain either), and my breakfasts ended up having more protein because I started eating a lot of eggs. I started losing weight pretty quickly and consistently. Lately, the weight loss seemed stuck and after reading those 5 rules I realized I had gotten away from the not snacking thing. I wasn't adding junky snacks, but had started drinking milk or eating a bit of cheese or nuts between meals, and I was taking milk right before bed. I went back to not snacking and being pretty strict with those five rules and voilà, I am losing weight again. I'm planning to get the book soon, as I'd like to read all the theory/studies behind it, but in the meantime just using those five rules is helping.

The leptin thing is also supposed to help regulate other hormonal problems, including thyroid, adrenals, etc. On that note, you may have tested normal for thyroid but depending on the type of test you may still have a thyroid problem.

Anyway, welcome to the NT tribe, here's to happy, healthy eating habits!

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#311 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinclothmama
Okay, thanks... I'll watch them. Hopefully they come out okay. I didn't get this message before I mixed everything though so I just mixed the liquid in. I hope that's okay!
I've always been taught to never eat raw eggs or meat, always throw out milk that's been out of the fridge longer than two hours, etc.... So it's weird to make something with milk in it that's been out for 24 hours! It's taking some adjusting getting used to this different way of thinking!!! :
Oh, I know what you mean! I have always been a "use by" date watcher, so it has been hard learning to let some things go. Honestly, if you told me 2 years ago that I would be eating raw egg yolks, leaving yogurt soaked flour on the kitchen counter, or drinking milk without an expiration date, I would have thought you were !

Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#312 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawkins
Well, this is month 2 for NT in my house. I'm loving the changes that I'm making. DH, however, is not. He complains quite frequently that "we don't have anything in this house to eat that doesn't take forever to prepare!" I've tried explaining that not having convenience foods laying around is making us much more mindful of what we're eating, but he's still giving me flack. Is there such things as convenient NT foods (besides nuts, he does like those)? And what do you have when you are pressed for time?
I have been freezing some pre-made meals so that dh can microwave or reheat a meal when he is hungry. He loves having slow cooked meats ready for sanwiches.
#313 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 11:50 PM

I just got my copy of N&PD. Looking forward to reading this, the pictures are fascinatingly illustrative of Price's theories.
#314 of 545 Old 06-14-2006, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know what you mean! I have always been a "use by" date watcher, so it has been hard learning to let some things go. Honestly, if you told me 2 years ago that I would be eating raw egg yolks, leaving yogurt soaked flour on the kitchen counter, or drinking milk without an expiration date, I would have thought you were !
HA HA No kidding!! I haven't gotten to the raw egg yolks yet...... in time. And i don't know if I'll ever eat liver but you never know!!
#315 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 AM

Gale Force I would love some water grains..I never got mine to reproduce..how did you do that? lol....

as for raw egg yolks..I started this this week..in my coconut milk smoothies..I figured it wasn't much different that eating cookie batter..lol

Where is the cheapest place to buy N&PD? I was looking online the other day and blown away by some of the prices I found...
#316 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
as for raw egg yolks..I started this this week..in my coconut milk smoothies..I figured it wasn't much different that eating cookie batter..lol
Oh, that's a good idea! Sometimes I have a little trouble with the raw eggs if I start to think about it too much. I will have to remember this analogy next time!

Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#317 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celrae
I have been freezing some pre-made meals so that dh can microwave or reheat a meal when he is hungry. He loves having slow cooked meats ready for sanwiches.
NT mentions ditching the microwave. we decided to try that earlier this spring. we've now been microwave-free for 6 weeks and headache-free until this past weekend. not that we'd get frequent headaches before but we'd usually expect one of us to have a headache about once per week.

my headaches came back almost 2 weeks ago - not sure if it was the nasty fried chicken i let dh talk me into eating or if it was the 2 back-to-back low pressure weather systems that parked themselves over my house...

#318 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
Where is the cheapest place to buy N&PD? I was looking online the other day and blown away by some of the prices I found...
i thought i saw good prices at barnes and noble (online, used). then again, maybe it was amazon (used).

#319 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm mailing water grains out Monday. anyone interested can send $4.50 funded paypal to sander(at)lightspeed.net They will arrive late next week via priority mail from California. They work a lot better than converted milk grains, IMO
I think I'm interested, but I have a few questions.

1. Are they dried or shipped in fermenting sugar water?

2. If dried, how hard are they to get going again?

3. How much will you be sending? How much soda should we make at one time?

4. Is it possible to rest them like milk grains if we go out of town for a week or so?

5. Do we pretty much need to put them in fresh sugar water each day?

6. What was your original source?

Thanks!

Mom, , to DS(10), , , due November 3, 2014, and 4 's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to .

****5****10****15****20****25***30****35****40
#320 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 AM

These water grains are a different strain than the milk grains so they do reproduce. COnverted milk grains don't.

kittymom -- they're in sugar water. You'll get a heaping tablespoon which will make one quart at a time. Yes, you can rest them in the fridge in sugar water. I make a new brew daily but have rested them in the fridge a day or two when I didn't want the extra drinks. I got mine from xenabyte here who got them from Germany. And the Germans got them directly from heaven, at least that's what bluets told me on another thread.

#321 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 02:21 AM

I had water grains....they never grew....
#322 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
And the Germans got them directly from heaven, at least that's what bluets told me on another thread.
Hard to argue with that soure! ;-)

Do most people in this thread read posts to the forum outside of this thread? I have some non-NT specific nutrition questions that I will probably post more broadly.

Thanks.

Mom, , to DS(10), , , due November 3, 2014, and 4 's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to .

****5****10****15****20****25***30****35****40
#323 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 AM

My water grains are taking over the kitchen, so they definitely grow. But the growth rate of grains depends on the environment in general and the temperature. And, who knows cobluegirl, your grains may have been abused or maybe they were converted milk grains. Did they look clear like crystals? Mine did but I use turbinado raw can sugar so they have a light brown hue to them

Kittymom -- people on this thread post all over MDC, so you can't get away from them as hard as you might try.

#324 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
And the Germans got them directly from heaven, at least that's what bluets told me on another thread.
hey now... I'm the one wondering how they *cough* evolved *cough* to their current state.

we have someone in the department who studies biofilms and mixtures of species that make up biofilms. i wonder if i could get them interested in considering the mighty kefir grain as a study specimen.

#325 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 11:12 AM

That would be cool. What department are you in?

#326 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
That would be cool. What department are you in?
i work at a genome center but the biofilm group is in the biology department.

#327 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 AM

This thread should have a get-together in Bloomington. I haven't been there since 1999 when I went through the commencement. It was Herman Wells' last ceremony and I shamelessly chased him down in the hallway with my friend and both of our dissertation chairs following behind and Wells' assistant took a very nice picture of all of us.

Now *that* could win an award for very far OT.

#328 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I was lucky. My parents always ate very rare meat, raw eggs (in salad dressings and homemade mayonnaise), and considered mold something to just cut off, not throw the whole thing away. That made NT a lot easier for me to deal with, and my mother always taught me to make a lot of things from scratch: mayonnaise, pickles, jams, sauerkraut, bread. It made it much easier. However, just yesterday someone at my cowshare mentioned that if I didn't have room in my refrigerator for my eggs, just leave them out on the counter, because they're so fresh they'll last a long time. Now THAT was hard for me to wrap my brain around! :

My latest venture is to try making my own cheese, so I got an extra gallon of raw milk last night. Here in the Northwest, it's still rainy and the grass is growing like gangbusters, so the milk is nice and yellow so I figure this is the best time. I downloaded information off the web, but then my cowshare friend told me how he makes his cheese, gave me a starter, and showed me a cheese he had made. I'm so excited, this will be so fun!

Ann
#329 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 12:38 PM

yesterday for lunch we had sandwiches: store-bought sourdough bread (not the best sourdough but this is affordable); dripped yogurt cream cheese with dill (storebought yogurt - my attempts at yogurt have been disasters); raw salmon that has been marinated in brine (some recipe my mom does - i take only credit for thawing it and eating it); and capers. YUM. dh didn't like the cheese - too bitter. dh thought the capers were salty. i can't win with that guy.

dinner: lamb-burgers (no bun); romaine lettuce + black olives + tomatoes (balsamic vinegar, flax seed oil dressing); the last slice of bread with avocado (dh passed on sharing that with me but ds ate his pieces with gusto)

dessert was the best: into the food processor - the last of my open can of coconut milk (1/2 can?); some unknown amount of kefir; a whole bunch of frozen strawberries; 1 kiwi; 1/2 avocado; 1 tsp or so of honey. big whir for a long time. YUM. it had a lovely ice cream consistency.

dh saw me dumping the kefir in, along with the avocado, and asked if kefir and avocado needed to be in everything. "well, yes they do" was my response. then he grumbled about me needing to get over my avocado kick. this is one stubborn guy when it comes to food. there will be no way i will ever get him to eat anything with cabbage. i did manage to have him eat bok choy - didn't tell him that it was related to cabbage.

#330 of 545 Old 06-15-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnC
However, just yesterday someone at my cowshare mentioned that if I didn't have room in my refrigerator for my eggs, just leave them out on the counter, because they're so fresh they'll last a long time. Now THAT was hard for me to wrap my brain around! :

Ann
Somewhere in Jessica Prentice's book, she talks about how the refrigeration of eggs actually comprises the stability of the shell thus leaving the egg more prone to spoiling. A friend told me of her brother who traveled across country by car with eggs for nourishment and no refrigeration thru some pretty hot areas. He was fine, no probs with the eggs. My grandparents had a place in their cupboard where they stored their eggs. In fact from my memories eggs aren't refrigerated in England, at least they weren't a couple decades ago.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page