NT June Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 545 Old 06-16-2006, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma
It helps to have a clean nest for them to lay eggs in, then the eggs are always clean. It's probably easier to keep an eye on where they lay eggs & make sure they have a good supply of clean straw/hay to nest in than wash every egg & refridgerate it! If one gets a bit of mud or chook poo on it for any reason, I don't stress about it. I may wash it before I use if it is too pooey but usually I am just very careful how I crack it instead. As far as I am aware, we don't share parasites with chooks. I mean there is always stuff like salmonella & camphylobacter but my chooks are healthy & well fed not cramped in some tiny cage unable to move.
I just went to a talk on eggs & chicken. Apparently the eggshells are somewhat porous and the pressure of washing an egg will push some of the icky stuff into the egg. She advises wiping with a moist cloth. If they are very dirty she says she gives them to her dog.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#362 of 545 Old 06-16-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
NT mentions ditching the microwave. we decided to try that earlier this spring. we've now been microwave-free for 6 weeks and headache-free until this past weekend. not that we'd get frequent headaches before but we'd usually expect one of us to have a headache about once per week.

my headaches came back almost 2 weeks ago - not sure if it was the nasty fried chicken i let dh talk me into eating or if it was the 2 back-to-back low pressure weather systems that parked themselves over my house...
Thanks for that information--- it is good to know! When I wrote that post I knew the microwave was not ideal, but I thought I would mention it because I would rather have dh eat well prepared food and microwave it than the alternative. Years ago my girlfriend was shocked that we used plastic and my defense for that was it was more practical for dh's lunches. If I had him use glass, he might never get the dishes back home and I would be upset. As it is now the plastic ones make it back home about once every 2 weeks. However, it is good to know that others have seen real health changes since stopping use of the microwave.
#363 of 545 Old 06-16-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulajewla
Hello...
Thanks for any help. And if anyone has things for ppd that I should be eating, all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome! It sounds like you are making a lot of great changes. We have been making changes slowly and feeling better every day. I haven't been able to loose weight since eating NT, but I have maintained. Also, my shape and muscle tone has improved.
#364 of 545 Old 06-16-2006, 04:35 PM

Hi, all:
I usually lurk here but always love to soak up all the information as I slowly try to turn my family toward an NT way of life.
Last week I ate liver for the first time since my childhood when my mom used to fry chicken livers in bacon. Anyway, I just can't face cooking the actual liver yet, so I opted for foie gras. My DH was extremely resistant to opening and sharing the can of foie gras he'd gotten for a christmas present from his brother (his brother lives in France and actually 'made' the foie gras, so the animals were not force fed) but he knows my aversion to any type of organ meats so he thought the sharing of the foie gras was a big waste on me. I had a moment of panic when he opened the can and put it onto a plate, as the liver was covered with thick yellowish fat. Can I eat that? Can I eat that? my brain was screaming. The neighbors didn't notice my inner panic though as I spread just a bit of the foie on a cracker and topped it with lacto-fermented pickle slices (my DH was also against the pickle idea but it really saved me). The first one I didn't chew much, it was just kind of down the hatch, but by the second or third try, I was savoring the foie. Of course, I had to keep my brain from thinking about the fact that I was eating liver, and try to maintain a kind of zen, all mammals eat other mammals type of mindset.
Now that I've conquered the foie I feel ready to try to make liver, still a bit freaked out about handling the liver, but just wanted to let others know that foie or pate is a friendly first step, especially with the homemade thinly sliced pickles!
#365 of 545 Old 06-16-2006, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually make a little bath for my eggs, h2o2 and vinegar, and gently dip them but only before eating them raw. I know they're porous, but there is also a membrane inside, and so it is an intelligent design- membranes are freaky cool in complexity. They really aren't made for every bacteria to slip through, no alarmist will convince me. How can they be, if they are designed to function and thrive under a chicken's ass?
From a culinary perspective, eggs are always better at room temp for baking, and emulsions like a mayonnaise or aioli.

If a thickish layer of butter preserves eggs for quite awhile, will a thinner layer of oil extend their life a bit?
#366 of 545 Old 06-16-2006, 07:19 PM

I tried the sunflower brownies.... after 24 hours of making crispy pecans and then 24 hours of cooking the brownies I was a bit disappointed!! I may have made a mistake though, I used cocoa baking powder instead of carob powder so the taste was very cocoa-ey and I think there wasn't enough sweetener for the amount of coacoa I used. Anyone have a good variation of this recipe???? OR a good cookie/bar recipe? I gotta have something like that around for the kids! I'm also looking for crackers that are tasty.....
#367 of 545 Old 06-16-2006, 07:33 PM

I think mountain mom is the sunflower brownie expert here I'm about to try making these myself so your insights are helpful. I've got a good grainless veggie cracker that is dried in the dehydrator. It's I can post if you like. Also there is a good cracker recipe in NT. Rolling out the dough is a bit labor intensive but the crackers are very good as long as you don't leave them in for the full cooking time. We have them with the sprouted hummus dip occasionally.

Provocativa, how goes it with the newest one?
#368 of 545 Old 06-16-2006, 08:03 PM

Is there an NT recipe for Ranch dressing?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#369 of 545 Old 06-16-2006, 11:23 PM

my grandmother used to make a ranch-like dressing using mayonnaise and sour cream (though yogurt works well too) and dill. she never measured, but the times i've made it, i've used equal parts mayonnaise and sour cream/yogurt, then add your herbs, salt and pepper to taste. if it is too thick, thin out with a **little** lemon juice (though ACV would probably also work well) - add just a tsp at a time. hrm, if you have whey, you could probably use that as a thinner to avoid potential curdling from the lemon juice.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#370 of 545 Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian
...Also there is a good cracker recipe in NT. Rolling out the dough is a bit labor intensive but the crackers are very good as long as you don't leave them in for the full cooking time. ...
This & other comments about the baked goods recipes in NT make me wonder if the recipes are fine, but her oven is off. This week, I've made several recipes from EFLF & enjoyed all of them--no baked goods though. Anyone have experiences to support this theory?
#371 of 545 Old 06-16-2006, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa
I usually make a little bath for my eggs, h2o2 and vinegar, and gently dip them but only before eating them raw. I know they're porous, but there is also a membrane inside, and so it is an intelligent design- membranes are freaky cool in complexity. They really aren't made for every bacteria to slip through, no alarmist will convince me. How can they be, if they are designed to function and thrive under a chicken's ass? ...
A little trust in nature goes a long way toward increasing our sanity & enjoyment of the world. This idea also makes me think of trusting in ourselves--our bodies & our inner voices.
#372 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 04:03 AM

I've made the coconut cracker recipe out of EFLF & it came out very well. The kids loved them.

I had a thought about the yellow egg yolks too today. What I have found makes the egg yolks dark yellowy orange is grass. I've noticed if mine get out in the lawn or if I am weeding the yard I toss them all the weeds to compost, the yolks of the eggs the chooks lay go that orangey yellow. Well except a certain hen I got off a big poultry breeder who grew up in a barn & the poor sweetheart still doesn't know what to do with anything other than proper chook food :

I'm gearing up to make a scaled down version of the 20 egg chocolate cake. It's almost NT compatible if you ignore the sugar already in the chocolate. My littlest dd is 3 on tuesday!

Finally a : moment. I was at the local farmers market & thought I'd buy dh a venison pie but remembered to ask what the pastry was made with. THey said vege oil so I was like no thanks! So they proceeded to tell me it was way better than animal fat So I told them it wasn't. Does anyone ever feel like a religious zealot when they discuss the whole truth about fats issue with ppl ? They were literally looking at me as if I had told them I wanted to discuss the teaching of reverend Moon with them!!! In future I am gonna keep my mouth shut I think.
#373 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 04:17 AM

ain't that the truth..I tried to tell my mom the other day that shortening was bad for your because of the hydrogenated oil....you know what she told me...that they used to say that eggs were bad for us too....I am not sure I will ever get through.
#374 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 09:36 AM

You ladies are the posting queens! I have been offline for about 3 days, and holy cow! I'm behind 4 pages!

So I've finally caught up. Welcome to all the newbies. Hang out here for awhile, and you'll learn more than you ever thought possible.

On eggs: my family in England do not refrig. their eggs. They keep the eggs on the counter.

ON feeding Dhs: I told my Dh (who is mostly willing to try my new concoctions) that if he complains, then our Dc will complain, and then I will not be happy. To PLEASE just try things and at least ACT like it's edible. If it's terrible, then just tell me later when the Dc aren't listening, lol. Mostly, he's on board with eating whatever I make, he does give me some flack over all the fat I use. He has a hard time grasping that butter, EVCO, cream, etc. are all so good for you. He grew up on (and his family is all still on) the low-fat bandwagon.

Doulajewla: I wanted to add that I lost quite a bit of weight while following the Maker's Diet, which is NT-friendly. It is also very compatible with the five rules posted earlier. Grains, even properly prepared, are what put on and keep the weight on me. I can enjoy them a few times a week but not much more than that.
#375 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 09:53 AM

Does anyone have any research or other info on the headache/microwave link?
Suzy

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#376 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I've got a good grainless veggie cracker that is dried in the dehydrator. It's I can post if you like.
nak
please post
#377 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 10:54 AM

On eggs -- there are cool antique egg baskets that you store your eggs in. They hang on the wall or from the ceiling. I have been wanting one for a while and almost bought one for myself for Easter, but of course the one I really wanted was a big farm basket that hangs from the ceiling and it was out of range. It's a hard one to justify too because we never have more extra eggs than a small bowl can't handle.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#378 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 11:16 AM

I have a really cool wire egg basket that a friend donated to me when she moved. She got it for like a dime at a yard sale. Very cool. It will hold about 2 dozen eggs.
#379 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I think mountain mom I've got a good grainless veggie cracker that is dried in the dehydrator. It's I can post if you like. Also there is a good cracker recipe in NT. Rolling out the dough is a bit labor intensive but the crackers are very good as long as you don't leave them in for the full cooking time. We have them with the sprouted hummus dip occasionally.
Oh, yes, yes!! I'd love the recipe!!
#380 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 05:49 PM

Carnelian, do you think I could do the crackers in the oven on a very low temp?

I made vanilla ice cream today for my birthday (well, actually, my birthday was thursday, but I was rather busy helping a friend with her birth among other things that day). Can't wait to try it tonight!

We're having ezekial pitas stuffed with turkey, lettuce, tomato, avocado, olives, and celery tonight. It's too hot here to do much cooking, so I'm either on strike, or we eat something cold!
#381 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 07:19 PM

I've got a batch of these drying in the dehydrator right now. Gardenmommy, I'm sure you could bake these at a low temp in the oven. You'll just need to watch them carefully. The drying is mainly to keep the enzymes intact. So the recipe:

Grainless Veggie Crackers

1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup fresh cilantro or parsley
2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (in oil)
1 1/4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
1 tbs minced garlic
1/4 tsp. celtic sea salt
2 cups sesame or flax seeds or a combo of these

Put all the ingredients except the seeds into the food processor and puree. Transfer this to a bowl and add the seeds. Spread this mixture onto solid dehydrator sheets (oiled if necessary). This part is tricky, to guage thickness. You want them thick enough, I'd say 1/4 inch or so.

I dry these at a high temp of 145 for several hours if I need them 'fast'. Alternately you can dry them at 145 for 3 hrs and then lower the setting to 90 to keep all enzymes intact. About 4 hrs into the drying process you can carefully cut them with a knife into squares and then let them continue to dry.

They're a little more crumbly than a regular cracker but they're and disappear fast around here
#382 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 07:38 PM

I've also got an NT high-energy protein bar recipe that I'm going to try in the next week or so. If it works well I'll post if there's interest. It looks good. I've started to do some recipe conversions that seem to be working well. The most recent was a completely NT birthday carrot cake with sweetened cream cheese frosting
#383 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 07:50 PM

I'm interested in the protien bars!
#384 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero
Anyone know which deficiency causes little bumps on the back of your arms? DH has them and I can't remember what that means.
Thanks!

S

I have this too. It's called Keratosis Pilaris. And its a very common chronic genetic follicular "disease".

Every dermatologist I have seen has had me use Lactic Acid on it, along with various other topical creams. Nothing has ever helped and it has actually spread.

I would be interested to see if NT helps! I am also going to try using coconut oil on the skin directly to see if that helps! :

Resistance is futile Matey
#385 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick post to let y'all know I will be gone for week out to spend time on our property. Happy Solistice everyone!

(I saw that there were some questions for me, I will answer when I return. )
#386 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 11:24 PM

Carnelian, thanks for posting that! I will pick up the ingredients that I'm lacking and make that soon. Also interested in the protein bar, if it turns out. Thank you!

Thystle, CO and CLO have both helped our family part company with those little bumps. Hope it helps you, too.
#387 of 545 Old 06-17-2006, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The baby is wonderful, thanks. I've been sicker than I've ever been in years. Mastitis (thanks to the nursing then non-nursing toddler) and food poisoning or something else evil. Puked 8 times in one day!
I use coconut oil + olive oil on my nipples, and I make a wonderful salve with coconut oil, shea butter, lavendar oil and grapefruit seed extract, and beeswax.
#388 of 545 Old 06-18-2006, 02:51 AM

Thanks for the recipe Carnelian and I'd love the protein bar recipe too if it turns out!!
#389 of 545 Old 06-18-2006, 04:54 PM

I would love the protein recipe too ...lol
#390 of 545 Old 06-19-2006, 09:03 AM

provocativa, I hope that you are feeling better! It stinks to be sick, esp. when you have little ones who need care.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page