NT June Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinclothmama
What do you all make with your broth?? Just soup or do you use it for other things??????
I have this question, too! In NT, she makes it sound like I should be drinking it as a beverage...at breakfast?? Not sure I could stomach that, but I'll give it a go at least once

I grew up making stock and I have a lot in the freezer, especially now that I'm buying more whole chickens...but it's accumulating *much* faster than I use for "sauces" which Fallon talks about a lot, but I don't do very often

TIA!!
#422 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinclothmama
When I went to pull the extra meat off some of the really deep parts were still pretty pink, a little raw. I pulled it off anyway and put all the extra meat in the fridge to cook for another meal. As long as I cook it all up it will be fine right?
It'll be fine! I would avoid those for chicken salad, but if you will cook it soon, I don't see the raw bits posing a problem...so what are you going to make? Inspire me, please
#423 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 03:04 AM

OT: My gma seems to be developing severe memory loss. I am looking for info to send Gpa in regards to diet, low fat etc..that might help lend to the problem....or help the problem...I thought one of you might know of a good place to start..I have looked on WAP but not really finding anything I can send to papa....She is only 70 and her family history indicates that she should live another 20 years..I would hate to have her not remember any of it...My first thought was too much aspartame but she doesn't drink soda...and then my next thought was mercury..but not sure if she has much in the way of that either...I need something I can send papa...or he won't likely look into metal toxicity...Her doctors can't find anything and well..they are chalking it up to old age..I don't buy it....her dad is still alive and he has his mental capacities..and he must be at least 95....sorry..I am grasping at straws...
#424 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2003
It'll be fine! I would avoid those for chicken salad, but if you will cook it soon, I don't see the raw bits posing a problem...so what are you going to make? Inspire me, please
With the meat, probably enchiladas....
#425 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Woohoo! My sourdough starter is finally "started"!!!

It really rose today, without having to add any commercial yeast! I've got my first loaf in the oven right now.

I checked out a new supermarket today (a wonderful, anonymous MDC mama fairy'd me a gift card for there) and I found a few goodies: Kosher beef bones and plenty of frozen kosher raw chicken livers!! I stocked up on both. I still find it unbeleivable that the bone-free cuts of meat are so expensive, yet the nutrient-rich bones themselves are so economical! I also picked up some basics I can get anywhere: produce, flour, etc.

What was frustrating was my search for parve (completely dairy-free) margarine, to serve with baked potatoes and corn on the cob with meat meals (such as barbecues.) Every single margarine on the shelf had artificial flavor!! I still need to go to the natural supermarket to get a few things.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#426 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I have this question, too! In NT, she makes it sound like I should be drinking it as a beverage...at breakfast?? Not sure I could stomach that, but I'll give it a go at least once

I grew up making stock and I have a lot in the freezer, especially now that I'm buying more whole chickens...but it's accumulating *much* faster than I use for "sauces" which Fallon talks about a lot, but I don't do very often

TIA!!
I drink it in a mug with lunch or dinner. If I make gravy for a meal, I use the stock in that. Or any kind of soup or stew. Last night I made bratwurst and sauerkraut. (My organic butcher makes the bratwurst from pasture-raised pigs.) I sauteed onions in bacon fat, sliced up the sausage and browned it. Then added goose stock and wine, and a little sauerkraut, and simmered for about half an hour until the stock reduced way down. Then I poured it over more sauerkraut just to warm it (so I get the benefit of the raw sauerkraut.) This is great over mashed potatoes -- it's my comfort food.

But if I'm not making anything that uses stock, I'll just heat it up and drink it for a snack or with a meal. Not breakfast, though. I have bread and butter, milk and tea for breakfast during the week, bacon and eggs on the weekends.

Ann
#427 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
.I am currrently trying beat kvass and ginger carrots (purchased from our raw milk NT folks)...
Hey, I saw this and then checked your location...Full Quiver Farms, right? That's who I get my milk from too! (I'm in North Dallas.) What part of the city are you in?
#428 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
What was frustrating was my search for parve (completely dairy-free) margarine, to serve with baked potatoes and corn on the cob with meat meals (such as barbecues.) Every single margarine on the shelf had artificial flavor!! I still need to go to the natural supermarket to get a few things.
we just use coconut oil, olive oil, or chicken fat with our meat meals ... we like chicken fat the best, and it's a free by-product of stock making
#429 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Margarine is completely artificial, so you won't find any without artificial ingredients. Is there a reason you can't use butter? Margarine is really awful stuff, if you read about how it's made. The oils are superheated, hydrogenated, bleached, and then colored and has additives to make it taste kind of like butter. They claim the softer varieties are not hydrogenated, but they have to be at least partially hydrogenated, or they would be liquid.

Just my 2 cents.

Ann
#430 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnC
Last night I made bratwurst and sauerkraut. (My organic butcher makes the bratwurst from pasture-raised pigs.) I sauteed onions in bacon fat, sliced up the sausage and browned it. Then added goose stock and wine, and a little sauerkraut, and simmered for about half an hour until the stock reduced way down. Then I poured it over more sauerkraut just to warm it (so I get the benefit of the raw sauerkraut.) This is great over mashed potatoes -- it's my comfort food.Ann
Can I come for dinner?
#431 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnC
Margarine is completely artificial, so you won't find any without artificial ingredients. Is there a reason you can't use butter? Margarine is really awful stuff, if you read about how it's made.
Jewish dietary laws prohibit eating meat and dairy products at the same meal.

There's a brand of margarine I can get at the natural food stores called Soy Garden ( I think) that isn't too bad- it's a combo of soy, olive, and palm oils and not hydrogenated at all. It's got soybean oil, but it's far less processed than most margarines. It's a good "transitional" item for other family members who aren't as excited about NT as I am.

I had suggested using coconut oil on the corn and potatoes but nobody wanted to try it. Maybe I should try that "Mary's Oil Blend" from EFLF and see if anybody'd be willing to try that. What I'll probably do is buy a tub of the Soy Garden, then make my own oil blend in the same container when we finish it.

#432 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
here's my question, JaneS, did you really mean 50,000 IU amd 90,000 IU of A? A dosage of 1/2 tsp of high vitamin CLO has 5,000 IU, so are you suggesting I take at least 5 tsp? Wouldn't that be a lot of vitamin D? What might be other sources of A in my diet? I'm moving from organic to pastured, farm eggs without hormones, abx, etc., I eat lots of butter (just organic), and natural meats...no organs...I am currrently trying beat kvass and ginger carrots (purchased from our raw milk NT folks)...We eat mostly dark green veggies...I eat as much raw cheese as I can and many conventional cheeses and I do drink some raw milk, I use sourdough or Ezekial sprouted grain breads, but no beans or roots to speak of (carbs=weight gain for me although I have been partaking in dc's soaked oatmeal )...I eat lots of crispy almonds and I have some cashew butter from WF that I've been eating, but I don't know how NT it is, ...thanks for reading all of that and helping me figure this out!!! I'd *love* to get rid of the bumps-they're especially bad b/c I'm a "picker and a scratcher"
Just jumping in: If the dairy and eggs and butter are grass-fed, there will be vitamins A and D in them. The nutrient in vegetables, dark green but especially orange and yellow ones, is beta-carotene, and some people are not efficient at converting that into vitamin A due to various health problems. When I was going through cancer and surgery, I took a full tablespoon of high vitamin cod liver oil daily, for about 60,000 units of vitamin A. I don't worry about the D, because the combination of A and D helps keep them from being toxic. I healed really fast from the major surgery to remove my cancer, and have been doing great ever since, even though I also am diabetic. I now take two teaspoons of high vitamin CLO daily, along with 1/2 tsp butter oil. But I don't get a lot of sun, and live fairly far north in Washington state (where it rains a lot!) If I lived in the south, I would probably cut it back to 1 tsp.

Ann
#433 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:

There's a brand of margarine I can get at the natural food stores called Soy Garden ( I think) that isn't too bad- it's a combo of soy, olive, and palm oils and not hydrogenated at all. It's got soybean oil, but it's far less processed than most margarines. It's a good "transitional" item for other family members who aren't as excited about NT as I am.

I had suggested using coconut oil on the corn and potatoes but nobody wanted to try it. Maybe I should try that "Mary's Oil Blend" from EFLF and see if anybody'd be willing to try that. What I'll probably do is buy a tub of the Soy Garden, then make my own oil blend in the same container when we finish it.
Sorry, I should have noticed your profile that says "Kosher Mommy."
It's good you're finding one that's not hydrogenated. Maybe chicken fat would be good on things, too. I think your idea of the Mary's Oil is a good one -- I have made that, and it's good. I use it along with cold-pressed sunflower oil for mayonnaise, and it helps it keep from separating, due to the coconut oil, I believe. I can understand the need to transition your family -- I'm always dragging mine along into my enthusiasm for NT -- they keep saying, "But WHY is it bad for me?"

Ann
#434 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 01:07 PM

can't make this duplicate go away...
#435 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 02:51 PM

How about coconut oil? It's really yummy on veggies once you get used to it. Or, my SIL uses Soy Garden margarine because her DS is allergic to dairy. It's completely dairy free, although I'm not crazy about soy personally, but if it's just in little amounts. They use it for baking and everything.

edited to say I should have read the replies first!

Quote:

#436 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 04:17 PM

Has anyone notice a reduction in their appetite with the change of seasons? I have noticed a difference between now and winter. I'm still eating a lot ...but not as much. Also craving different things. In the winter it was more fat, broths, meat, etc. Now it's more fresh veggies and fruit.

Also some good news: my ds has been allergy-symptom free for over a month now!

Quote:
Ruth, do you know why this is? I'm curious. I find Jewish laws around food so interesting because there seems to be really good scientific reasoning that supports these laws.
#437 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 04:34 PM

O.K. could we do a quick check in as to what vitamins/mineral supps NT mamas have their kiddos on? We've been on Kirkmans multi in addition to Green Pastures CLO/BO, but I'd like to switch the Kirkmans. I went to Wilderness Family Naturals and Radiant Life, but didn't really see anything. I looked at Brainchild. I'd love to just rely on NT foods, but DD has major digestive issues and she needs something extra that is VERY easily absorbable.

TIA
#438 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca
O.K. could we do a quick check in as to what vitamins/mineral supps NT mamas have their kiddos on? We've been on Kirkmans multi in addition to Green Pastures CLO/BO, but I'd like to switch the Kirkmans. I went to Wilderness Family Naturals and Radiant Life, but didn't really see anything. I looked at Brainchild. I'd love to just rely on NT foods, but DD has major digestive issues and she needs something extra that is VERY easily absorbable.

TIA
none here except Maxi babydophilus. we've been advised that as long as ds is still nursing, and as long as I am supplementing myself, he doesn't need anything. ND keeps reminding me "secretion is the basis of nutrition and breastmilk is already secreted."

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#439 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Have you ever had herbed olive oil with salt and pepper on corn on the cob?

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#440 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 05:35 PM

I reheated boiled potatoes last night using coconut oil in my cast-iron skillet - kinda panfries/homefries. The only reason they were leftover boiled potatoes is because dh wouldn't let me do mashed potatoes with coconut oil two nights ago.

#441 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian
Can I come for dinner?
Sure!!!
#442 of 545 Old 06-21-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
Ruth, do you know why this is? I'm curious. I find Jewish laws around food so interesting because there seems to be really good scientific reasoning that supports these laws.
Not Ruth and not Jewish, but this thought occured to me just the other day after my pregnant friend said she wasn't drinking her raw milk with meals these days b/c her iron was a bit low and calcium inhibits iron absorption- so I was wondering if this perhaps was that "really good scientific reasoning" that seems to underlie the restriction of not having dairy and meat at the same meal.
#443 of 545 Old 06-22-2006, 12:04 AM

I hope Ruth will correct me if I"m wrong, but I think the rules about not mixing meat and dairy in the same meal come from Rabbinical law, and it's not in the Torah. The commandment in Torah says not to boil a kid in it's mother's milk, which hearkens back to an ancient pagan custom. And the God of the Jews didn't want them particiapating in things like that. When the Rabbis were trying to interpret God's law, they went the safest route, and just made dairy and meat non combinable under any conditions whatsoever.

On to the reason I'm posting. I just sent NT back to the library, and I forgot to copy out the recipe in it for mayo. I was wondering if anyone would post it for me? I just ran out of mayo tonight, and I was gonna make some with some whey after I finish making yogurt and cream cheese. Thanks!
#444 of 545 Old 06-22-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
I think of it the opposite way. G-d gave us these food rules to help keep us spiritually healthy, and it makes sense they would also be good for our bodies!

Torah law prohibits cooking a kid in it's mother's milk. This is understood to mean that meat from any kosher mammal can't be cooked with any kosher milk. Then the rabbis enacted "a fence around the Torah" and prohibited eating dairy and meat together even if it's cold, not eating poultry with dairy because people could get confused, and waiting a certain amount of time between meat and dairy meals (this amount of time varies from one community to another.) All the rules about using separate utensils and cooking vessels for meat and dairy are also Rabbinic in origin- designed to prevent us from accidentally violating a Torah prohibition. Just say you didn't clean the pot thoroughly after making yogurt, and wanted to use the same pot to make beef stock?

MMM. Homemade sourdough bread with butter and salt is YUMMY!!! (yeah, OT for the rest of this post but I'm munching at the puter.)

#445 of 545 Old 06-22-2006, 01:11 AM

I tried to post this idea earlier in the thread & got distracted... A few mamas mentioned that there milk is fresher in a colder fridge. This has prompted me to move mine out of the door & onto the shelves where it is likely to stay cooler. Make sense?
#446 of 545 Old 06-22-2006, 04:33 PM

Gale Force, I took a long nap (almost 2 hrs) yesterday, and had extremely vivid dreams. I was still thinking about them when I woke, although 20 min. after waking, I couldn't tell what they were about. Does that count as dream recall?

I don't remember any dreams in the morning, though. And, generally, if I wake in the night, I don't remember dreams either.

I have a question about the Goatein powder from GOL. Does anyone here take it, and why? What benefits do you see from it?
#447 of 545 Old 06-22-2006, 05:11 PM

okie i tried the kimchi recipe in NT for the first time, and did the following substitutions: bok choy instead of napa; large green radish instead of daikon. i also used kefir whey.

my Korean coworkers say (a) good but not spicy hot enough and (b) the bok choy is too hard. i find it a little heavy (well, really heavy) on the garlic and onions. so i think next time i try it, i'll be doing it with less garlic and onions, and more hot peppers, and i'll use napa instead.

#448 of 545 Old 06-22-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
my Korean coworkers say (a) good but not spicy hot enough
It's definitely not spicy. I like it that way and so do my kids. But many people think spicy when they think kimchi. Just add more flakes or whatever peppers you like for more spice.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#449 of 545 Old 06-22-2006, 05:41 PM

heh... i've only had kimchi once before (and then it was a tiny little nibble) - so i had really no idea what to expect from this one!

#450 of 545 Old 06-22-2006, 07:23 PM

Suddenly, my nutritional requirements have changed.

Now, it's not that, but it's pretty exciting nonetheless.

I wonder how four years of breastfeeding has reduced my lifetime breast cancer risk? I wonder how this child's health is going to proceed now that he's not sucking out my B vitamins?

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page