NT June Thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 545 Old 06-24-2006, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit
does nayone have good ideas for ways to incorporate CO into everyday food consumption? I currently bake with it, but we don't eat the baked good very often. I'm not a huge fan of cooking with it. I tried making eggs in CO a while back but found my eggs tasted like coconut, instead of eggs. It didn't really work for me. Are there other foods that lend themselves better to being cooked in CO?
I like to mix it in a smoothie. I use it in everything. I've also taken it straight off the spoon, although I'm not a huge fan of eating oil. I use it when I saute, or bake. Basically everywhere I need a fat (except pancakes, waffles, and muffins. For some reason, I don't like the texture of those with CO).
#482 of 545 Old 06-24-2006, 04:09 PM

Whatever happened to NT getting a forum all its own?
#483 of 545 Old 06-24-2006, 04:38 PM

How long does it take for frozen milk to thaw out in the fridge? I bought some raw milk from a farm and froze a bunch of it in plastic gallon containers (maybe 3/5 full). I stuck one of them in the fridge on Wednesday and there's still a frozen lump in the middle. (Of course DH poured some off the top this morning to use in pancakes. : )

Should it take this long? I think next time I'm going to freeze them in 1/2 gallon glass mason jars. I mostly want the milk to make yogurt at this point.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#484 of 545 Old 06-24-2006, 04:46 PM

Also, does anyone know where I could get some kind of caddy with handles for carrying 1/2 gallon mason jars? Next time I go to the farm I'll be with ds by myself. I can put him in the Ergo in the back carry, but the path to the milk area is gravel and a cart won't go over it.

One more question: when I make my water grain kefir (is that the proper term for it? : ) it doesn't get that fizzy unless I put the cap on tight. However, I'm terrified of an explosion. I've read that you can use an airlock, but I like to brew in mason jars and I think airlocks are for narrow-necked bottles -- am I right? If I use the balloon method, do I just put any standard party-type balloon over the top?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#485 of 545 Old 06-24-2006, 05:33 PM

New forum

Apparently, after the switch to a bigger server, they will look at reorganizing. I read a rumor in Talk Amongst Ourselves that the server switch would happen on the weekend of July 4, in one week.

I think we should start new NT posts on specific topics in this forum (Nutrition and Good Eating) so that they can be easily moved into the new one.

Fizzy Water Kefir
New Mama -- the fizz may pick up in another week or two. I just cover mine with a dish towel and the fizz has increased since I got the grains.

And it takes my milk a long time to thaw -- maybe up to a week if I just left it in there. I use it as it thaws which speeds it up.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#486 of 545 Old 06-24-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
One more question: when I make my water grain kefir (is that the proper term for it? : ) it doesn't get that fizzy unless I put the cap on tight. However, I'm terrified of an explosion. I've read that you can use an airlock, but I like to brew in mason jars and I think airlocks are for narrow-necked bottles -- am I right? If I use the balloon method, do I just put any standard party-type balloon over the top?
Recently the balloon method hasn't been working for me. Not quite sure what's going on but it starts out fizzy and then when I go to cap it it's flat. I'm wondering if the intense heat and humidity have something to do with it since the balloon method has always worked well in the past I'm thinking of getting an airlock.

Milk takes a good long time to thaw, several days depending on the temp in your fridge.
#487 of 545 Old 06-24-2006, 07:25 PM

Ok, ladies, I've tweaked the protein bar recipe enough to my liking and here it is as promised. But before making them you'll want to have a few things on hand: properly prepared nut butter, soaked (and sprouted) and dried nuts and sunseeds.

: High-Energy Protein Bars :

In a double boiler mix together the following:

1 cup nut butter
1/2 cup of EVCO (or a stick of butter)
1/2 cup carob powder
1-2 tbs of agave/honey/maple syrup

Mix until melted and smooth. Take off the heat and let cool slightly. Then add:

1 cup ground flax
1 cup chopped crispy NT nuts
1 cup finely shredded coconut
1/2 cup crispy NT sunseeds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup sesame seeds

Pour into a 9x13 pyrex dish lined with wax paper and chill in the fridge several hours. Cut into bars (20-25) and store in the fridge or wrap each bar in wax paper and foil and store in the freezer for a ready to go snack on the run.

These are a huge hit here. Nutrient dense, a little goes a long way! Using carob means very little additional sweetener is needed (plus it is extremely high in calcium--3 x more than bm tho probably not as bio-available). We find them quite sweet enough with 1 tbs of agave but even using 2 tbs the sugar content works out to less than 1 gram per bar. If you decide to use cocoa more sweetener would be needed. Another option would be 10-12 oz of homemade carob chips and then no additional sweetener. I think I could possibly add more EVCO up to about 2/3 perhaps but 1/2 cup is adequate.

Let me know how y'all enjoy these
#488 of 545 Old 06-24-2006, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing...

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#489 of 545 Old 06-24-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
Also, does anyone know where I could get some kind of caddy with handles for carrying 1/2 gallon mason jars? Next time I go to the farm I'll be with ds by myself. I can put him in the Ergo in the back carry, but the path to the milk area is gravel and a cart won't go over it.
Do you have any cloth tote bags? You could take one for each bottle so they don't clink together. We use toye bags for groceries so we have a bunch.
#490 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 01:23 AM

I ate some cream off the top of my raw milk and...

DRUMROLL.....................................

I did NOT die!

Verdicts:

Me: Tasted "cleaner" to me.

Hubby: "It tastes like milk" For some reason he did not gasp in wonder...

4 yo: Well I had to trick him, but he ate the cream on some strawberries and drank some of the milk. And said nothing because he thinks it was "regular" milk.

Resistance is futile Matey
#491 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle
I did NOT die!
Woo hoo!!!!

I had a hunch that you would live and be able to report back. It is amazing how much like milk it tastes.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#492 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 01:58 AM

Quote:
does nayone have good ideas for ways to incorporate CO into everyday food consumption? I currently bake with it, but we don't eat the baked good very often. I'm not a huge fan of cooking with it.
I haven't gotten used to using it in everyday dishes involving meat. I love it in smoothies especially with pineapples to make a pina colada flavor. It's good drizzled on toast with a bit of honey, added to oatmeal, stirred into plain yogurt or kefir with honey or maple syrup, and added to fruit salad. You can top a baked potato with it, mix a bit into your rice for a coconut rice, and cook with it in dishes that can stand to have a bit of tropical flavor such as seared fish served with mango salsa, or frying up falafel patties.
#493 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 02:14 AM

I have actually gotten to the point where I crave coconut oil right off the spoon.

Ofcourse that has taken a good two years. Thought it was gross the first time I had it.

Someone mentioned making their daughter, I believe, a "20 egg cake". Does anyone have a recipe for that or more info?

I will report back tomorrow to make sure I am not truly dead...

Resistance is futile Matey
#494 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
does nayone have good ideas for ways to incorporate CO into everyday food consumption? I currently bake with it, but we don't eat the baked good very often. I'm not a huge fan of cooking with it. I tried making eggs in CO a while back but found my eggs tasted like coconut, instead of eggs. It didn't really work for me. Are there other foods that lend themselves better to being cooked in CO?
Like someone else mentioned, I use a spoonful of it in a smoothie (along with my lemon flavored cod liver oil).

I'll use it in curries, too. I'll saute the onions and spices in the coconut oil instead of butter or ghee.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#495 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 03:20 AM

My gpa built holders out of wood for our/his milk. and used like a 2" dowl for the handle....

I miss my fresh milk and cream dearly....I hope some day that my kids will tolerate it again. sigh.
#496 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 04:30 AM

The person who made the 20 egg chocolate cake for dd was me. This time, I actually only made it with 10 eggs & a silkie egg as I could only afford 1/2kg of fair traded chocolate.

If you would like the recipe it is :

20 eggs
1 kg ( 2lbs ) of chocolate - I used organic plain 70% cocoa solids fair traded chocolate
500g ( 1lb )butter
approx a handful of almonds - They were standard boring organic, unskinned almonds. The original recipe uses 75g of flour.

The night before, put the almonds to soak in a warm place in some salty water. The next day, bring almond pot briefly to the boil, take off the heat, strain out the water & dump the almonds in some cold water. The skins should just peel off. Leave somewhere warm to dry out a bit & then grind to a rough powder in a blender.

Preheat the oven to 230degC
Melt the butter & chocolate over a very low heat stirring every now & then.
Meanwhile separate the eggs.
Whip the egg whites until stiff.
Once the butter & chocolate has melted, take off heat. Beat in the egg yolks plus 1/3rd of the egg whites. Fold in the rest of the egg whites.
Put mixture into a suitable tin. Note here my biggest tin is a 9" round cake tin. I lined it with baking paper & it was totally full & then rose some. Thankfully I suspected this may happen so I had left a collar of baking paper around the tin.
The recipe then says to bake for 15 mins, cover & bake for another 15 mins. The cake should feel wet when you take it out. I've never quite had the nuts to cook it that hot. I've tended to cook it at 230 for a tinsy amount of time & then turn it down to 180 for a while longer until the sides start to look done. Then I turn the oven off & leave the cake in there while the oven cools to set.

The recipe gives dire warnings about not halving it as it won't work but I have made similar cakes which only use 6 eggs so I decided to give it a go. I halved the recipe but used 11 eggs instead of 10 to keep the moisture up & it worked fine. Tasted just like the 20 egg version
#497 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 12:32 PM

Wow, that cake sounds awesome! How was it? I might do it for my b-day. Did you frost it?
#498 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 12:46 PM

I'll have to try that cake out of curiosity. I've never seen anything like it.

Do you all think that Thystle might be dead since she hasn't posted yet?

#499 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 03:03 PM

nah, she's prolly chugging raw milk now that she's discovered that it actually tastes good and doesn't kill you!
#500 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma
approx a handful of almonds - They were standard boring organic, unskinned almonds. The original recipe uses 75g of flour.
I didn't note in the directions when you added the almond flour???

Here's a link to a similar cake which uses just bittersweet chocolate, butter, eggs, salt, and orange peel, with optional powdered sugar to sprinkle on top. I've never made it with the orange peel or sugar...just the other ingredients. It is soooo good, like a fudgy half-cooked brownie. Mmmmmmm.... http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/107718
#501 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 04:52 PM

The cake recipe comes out a NZ home & garden cookery book I have. It's definitely for someone without a social conscience or who keeps chooks I still have to save up for all that fair traded chocolate. Hence why I usually only make it for the spring solstice as that is when the chooks are all starting to lay big time & I have that amount of eggs to use up. For some reason, the chooks are starting to lay earlier & earlier every year as we're up to making this at winter solstice.

No I didn't frost it. I imagine it would taste real bad with frosting. It is a real nice delicate taste so you wouldn't really want to sweeten it anymore. The original recipe uses sugar but I never added any. It is nice with clotted cream but that is a spring solstice thing so we didn't have it this time. Raw cream would be nice too.

Note it is also gluten free so good for cealiacs.
#502 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 04:53 PM

Sorry. Cross posted with you. I add the ground almonds when I mixed the egg yolks into the melted chocolate & butter.
#503 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 05:16 PM

Well, more raw milk newbies here... and I am just tickled pink with myself... LOL

We got 2 gallons of real milk last weekend. I opened one jar, was skimming the cream off the top, and the whole bottle broke and put very expensive milk all over my floor, under the fridge, etc... The other bottle was consumed, after I skimmed the cream off...

I made...

whipped cream, lots of times...

sour cream (creme fraiche?)

butter (and got buttermilk as a byproduct)

and lots of milk to drink.

We also are getting eggs from the same farm. Gosh those are some good eggs.

Sooo... for those of you that follow NT really well, cause I am Just barely starting, hardly following at this point. How long do you spend cooking daily?

Tonight is our first full NT meal..

pink gaspacho
crab cakes in red pepper sauce
gourmet soscotash (I murded that spelling)
pecan/strawberry tart.

I feel like its daunting to try to do everything the NT way, is it really?
#504 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 06:29 PM

Does anyone have the mayo recipe from NT? I'd like to try it, but I forgot to copy it down before I took the book back to the library. TIA!
#505 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
TWENTY eggs in one cake? How many servings does it make?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#506 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesternmomma
whipped cream, lots of times...

sour cream (creme fraiche?)

butter (and got buttermilk as a byproduct)
Are you saying you got all that from the cream from ONE gallon of milk? Holy cow. I've never skimmed the cream from my milk, but I can't imagine there's more than a cup of cream maybe...
#507 of 545 Old 06-25-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone
Does anyone have the mayo recipe from NT? I'd like to try it, but I forgot to copy it down before I took the book back to the library. TIA!
I'll do it for ya, girl.

Mayo
1 whole egg, at room temp
1 egg yolk, at room temp
1 teaspoon Dijon-type mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon whey, optional
3/4-1 cup extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil, or a combo
generous pinch sea salt

In your food processor, place egg, egg yolk, mustard, salt and lemon juice and optional whey. Process until well blended, about 30 seconds. Using the attachment that allows you to add liquids drop by drop, add olive oil and/or sunflower oil with the motor running. Taste and check seasoning.
You may want to add more salt and lemon juice. If you have added whey, let the mayonnaise sit at room temperature, well covered, for 7 hours before refridgerating. With whey added, mayo will keep several months and will become firmer with time. Without whey, it will keep for about 2 weeks.

HTH
#508 of 545 Old 06-26-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesternmomma
Sooo... for those of you that follow NT really well, cause I am Just barely starting, hardly following at this point. How long do you spend cooking daily?

Tonight is our first full NT meal..

pink gaspacho
crab cakes in red pepper sauce
gourmet soscotash (I murded that spelling)
pecan/strawberry tart.

I feel like its daunting to try to do everything the NT way, is it really?
I applied a little at a time until we were there. I make tons of yoghurt/kefir during the week along with stock and butter one day. I don't cook from NT very much. We do lots of pastured eggs, chicken, meat with different veggies and TONS of raw milk products including raw pastured cheese. We buy Alvarado St. Bakery sprouted breads as I am not a baker. Most mamas here do more than this, but this is the way I could make WP principles work for us. Seems like I spend a lot of time meeting farmers or going to the farmer's market.
#509 of 545 Old 06-26-2006, 12:08 AM

Jane,
Thanks. I think I'm going to end up with Brainchild USS.
#510 of 545 Old 06-26-2006, 12:43 AM

Ruthla I have no idea how many servings it makes. Heaps!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page