NT June Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 545 Old 06-04-2006, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you do with your egg whites when making custard? I hate wasting. Is there any way to save these for uses later?
#62 of 545 Old 06-04-2006, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc
What do you do with your egg whites when making custard? I hate wasting. Is there any way to save these for uses later?
You bet. Make the merengue cookies or nut bars I listed. I have found that there is no such thing as too much merengue.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#63 of 545 Old 06-04-2006, 08:00 AM

What is everyone eating for dinner lately? I am bored with cooking and I think it's because I need some fresh ideas. Everytime I take my dog for a wlk around dinner time I can smell other people houses and whatever they are cooking smells soooo good I need some new recipes. Here is a what we have been eating lately:
Homemade pizza with goat cheese
Southwestern eggs (with salsa, sour cream and raw milk cheedar) on Ezekiel sprouted grain wraps
Homemade chicken soup
Tostadas with grass fed ground beef, salsa, sour cream and raw cheddar
Organic turkey sausages with saur kraut
Roasted chicken breasts with rice pilaf

Sebrina
#64 of 545 Old 06-04-2006, 08:06 AM

Hmmm also having no luck with soaking my flours. We really enjoy banana choco chip bread around here and I have tried converting the recipe and it just doesn't turn out Here is my recipe and it is soooooo good:
1 1/4 cup whole grain flour (spelt or whole wheat are both good)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup rapadura or agave necter
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas mashed
1/2 cup choco chip, nuts ect.... (All optional but highly reccomended)

Mix first three ingredients, mix next three, then add the two mixtures together, add bananas, chips, nuts and bake at 350 for 50-60 mins.

I have tried soaking the flour first and it always comes out chewy, not cooked right in the middle. I soak my oatmeal and rice and beans ect., but flours are really throwing me. Any advise?

Sebrina
#65 of 545 Old 06-04-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrinaw
Hmmm also having no luck with soaking my flours. We really enjoy banana choco chip bread around here and I have tried converting the recipe and it just doesn't turn out Here is my recipe and it is soooooo good:
1 1/4 cup whole grain flour (spelt or whole wheat are both good)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup rapadura or agave necter
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas mashed
1/2 cup choco chip, nuts ect.... (All optional but highly reccomended)

Mix first three ingredients, mix next three, then add the two mixtures together, add bananas, chips, nuts and bake at 350 for 50-60 mins.

I have tried soaking the flour first and it always comes out chewy, not cooked right in the middle. I soak my oatmeal and rice and beans ect., but flours are really throwing me. Any advise?

Sebrina
Have you tried reducing the amount of banana when you soak? I'd assume you'd need to cut down on the wet ingredients in order to get it to work.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#66 of 545 Old 06-04-2006, 12:23 PM

subbing...

I tried the banana bread recipe again out of NT with a few adjustments, and it turned out pretty good this time. I used ww flour, 3/4c of grade B maple syrup, and 2.5 bananas. I cooked it at 325 for 1hr 40min. instead of 350, and covered it for the last 30 min., so the top wouldn't get so burned. It was a little moist and chewy, but isn't that how banana bread is suppossed to be?

I have also been making more green smoothies lately, but was wondering if I should cook the spinach and kale, instead of putting it in raw? I keep reading that these things should not be eaten raw very often (in NT it says kale should never be eaten raw), because the nutrients are not very well absorbed, especially in children. What do you all think? Should I cook the greens for dd?

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#67 of 545 Old 06-04-2006, 12:43 PM

FWIW I try to consume them both raw and cooked to get the balance. Smoothies are always raw, with dinner or in soups-cooked. I don't believe that kale should never be eaten raw. I just think you get different benefits with different preparations.
#68 of 545 Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 PM

I made ice cream last night with raw cream, egg yolks, and evaporated cane sugar (I didn't think the family was quite ready for a different sugar), plus some raw cocoa and chocolate. I had to heat it a little so that the chocolate would mix in...if I put my finger in it and it was comfortably warm, would it still be raw? It was
#69 of 545 Old 06-04-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri Patetic
I made ice cream last night with raw cream, egg yolks, and evaporated cane sugar (I didn't think the family was quite ready for a different sugar), plus some raw cocoa and chocolate. I had to heat it a little so that the chocolate would mix in...if I put my finger in it and it was comfortably warm, would it still be raw? It was
In cases like that, I usually heat mine to about body temperature or a little above. Of course, unless I forget about it. : You want to keep it under 110 degress F.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#70 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 12:04 AM

I tried adding an egg yolk to the ice cream. Couldn't tell any difference with it, so I'll add 2 next time. I absolutely love raw cream ice cream! I think I am addicted to it.

On dinner ideas: we like fritattas (basically a crustless quiche). Saute onion, garlic, pepper, something green (broccoli, spinach, kale, etc.), mushrooms, etc. While that's cooking, scramble eggs with cream, salt, pepper, whatever seasoning you like with eggs. Pour egg mixture over veggies and top with some sort of cheese (we like raw cheddar, ricotta, goat cheese, etc.). Cook on stovetop until it starts to set around the edges. Bake in 350F oven until the middle is set to your liking.

We like a good pot roast (roast of some sort, carrots, onions, mushrooms, celery, potatoes, etc.). Leftovers go in sandwiches and soups.

Taco salad: seasoned ground meat, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese, etc. You can eat this as a salad or in tortillas or pitas.

Pita sandwiches: lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, meat (like steak sliced very thinly), greek dressing (optional), avocado, whatever else you have in the fridge.

Stir-fry is always good, and very adaptable to what's in your fridge.

Sometimes we just have a big salad (I'll usually make up a pan of cornbread for the kids).

Sometimes (esp. as we get into the growing season here locally) we just have lots of fresh veggies, both raw and cooked.

Smoothies, eggs, burgers (grass-fed meat on sprouted grain buns).

Occasionally, I'll make a pizza for a treat. Or very occasionally, I'll make a pasta dish. Haven't done that in months, but everyone enjoys it when we have it.

Oh, roasted chicken with lots of veggies. Steamed green beans topped with raw butter and sea salt. Grilled/broiled steak for sandwiches (on sprouted grain bread) and salads, and just plain snacking.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
#71 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
On dinner ideas: we like fritattas (basically a crustless quiche).
We do something similar, a "quiche" with a cheese "crust". I press grated cheese into the bottom of a pie dish, top that with crumbled bacon, spinach, onion and garlic (or mushrooms, bell pepper, etc)sauted in bit of bacon drippings. Beat 6-8 eggs plus enough milk/cream to make 2-1/4 cups (that's just how much liquid my pan will hold!) Sprinkle with salt, pepper, maybe some fresh herbs (thyme or basil or oregano). Bake at 400 for 15 min, then reduce temp to 350 and bake until done, abt another 10-15 min (in my oven anyway!)

And about the snacks for kids. KerryAnn- I took your post to mean you were looking for EASY things. For me thaqt means no cooking, something I can pull together even if I haven't planned ahead. So here are a few of ours, not all NT, but not awful either.

*My kids favorite is what they call "snack plate". I put out a plate with any combination of fruit, raw veggies, cheese, pickles, olives, hard boiled eggs, leftover meat/ nitrate free deli meat, nuts, etc And here is the important part- cut into pieces and serve with toothpicks They eat things with the toothpicks they wouldn't touch otherwise

*Popcorn, popped in coconut oil or olive oil, topped with salt, butter and maybe some parmesan cheese.

*HFS fruit leather

*GORP ("good old raisins and peanuts"- with other dried fruit, nuts, trail mix- type stuff if you want. Choc chip or M&M candies if ya wanna get crazy )

*granola

*sprouted wheat bagels- as pizzas w/sauce & cheese, or just with butter, cultured cream cheese, etc

*cheese toast- slightly warmed raw cheese on good bread

*"Peanut butter honey toast"- my childhood favorite (great as breakfast, too) toast good bread, spread with PB and a smidge of honey

*bread with olive oil to dip

*frozen fruit, straight out of the freezer, that is, still frozen! Thay love this esp when its hot. You can do your own grapes, blueberries, strawberries, etc (spread on cookie sheet, then put in freezer safe container when frozen) or I just buy pre frozen organic. Of course, my kids also *only* eat broccoli if it's frozen.

*things we still do until we have replacements (vegetable oil being the issue)- HFS crackers (w/PB or cheese- esp w/addition of nitrite free pepperoni); Spelt sticks from bulk at HFS; sometimes store granola.
#72 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 AM

I second the frozed fruit snack idea. My dd loves sliced bananas frozen. Turns them into a wonderful treat. She also loves to eat frozen peas.

The nut butter balls are great too. You could try cream cheese bon bons too. Just 1 cup dripped yogurt. about 1/4 cup chopped raisins, maybe 1 tsp vanilla and roll in chopped walnuts.
#73 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmama
My kids favorite is what they call "snack plate". I put out a plate with any combination of fruit, raw veggies, cheese, pickles, olives, hard boiled eggs, leftover meat/ nitrate free deli meat, nuts, etc And here is the important part- cut into pieces and serve with toothpicks They eat things with the toothpicks they wouldn't touch otherwise
My kids are the same. They call it appetizer dinner except they pronounce it apple-tizer. I guess it must always include apples!
It's even better if there's something to dip in. They like yogurt with salsa mixed in or sour cream, which they will eat by the spoonful if I let them!

Suzy

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#74 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 02:13 PM

I have a question about my butter bell. I put butter in it and change the water daily with cold water. However around the edges of it the butter is starting to mold. Am I doing something wrong or is this just what it does?
#75 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 02:23 PM

To those of you that make kombucha, do you use PH strips? I just recieved my mushroom today in the mail, and the info keeps talking about using PH strips to test when it is done. Are they really that helpful, or can you judge pretty well on your own?

I must say, I am a little nervous about trying this drink. The kombucha mushroom doesn't smell very good!

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#76 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Geepers- by the time I find you guys you're already on page 2!!!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#77 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero
OK, I had a big NT day. I started some apple chutney. I made a cheesecake out of my yogurt cheese. Went to the farm and got more pastured eggs. Soaking some flour to make pumpkin muffins in the morning that I will eat with my (accidental) homemade butter!

Suzy
accidental butter?

#78 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 03:23 PM

It was supposed to be whipped cream for my berries but I wasn't paying attention and it became butter for my muffins instead! I used the buttermilk that was left to soak the flour and the muffins turned out so yummy and moist. I also used succanat for the first time in them. They were really very good!

Right now I'm making moussaka for the first time. I've never really liked eggplant so we'll see how it goes.

Suzy

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#79 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
I have a question about my butter bell. I put butter in it and change the water daily with cold water. However around the edges of it the butter is starting to mold. Am I doing something wrong or is this just what it does?
How warm is your house? It shouldn't start to mold so quickly. I don't use mine in the summer since I can just take the hard butter out of the fridge and it softens in minutes. But when it's cooler and I use it, it might mold a bit after being in the bell a long time. Not daily, though!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#80 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 04:59 PM

auntieM I was actually also looking for a jerky recipe so that is really good to have. Not sure how lean the beef is but I will give it a go this week.
#81 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 06:45 PM

I called the local NT person-she was very friendly-told me 2 interesting things=

#1She thought I could try ds on *raw* cow's milk to see if he is allergic to that (he is definately allergic to pasterized)
#2 when I told her I gave ds a small priece of raw cheese and he broke out she said that many cheeses labeled raw really maybe not be becuase they are heated so much.

Any suggestions/experiences on milk allergies (rash breakouts/crankiness ect) appreciated
I am thinking to give ds 1/4 c raw cow milk and see how that goes. I also have raw butter.

We have our land and can buy dairy goats but dh and I like cow's milk products better and could therefore justify getting a cow if all 3 of us could use the products. I could also get a goat as planned and I heard that if you feed them some molasses it makes their milk taste more like cow's.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#82 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 07:49 PM

Gale Force- Thank you for the snack ideas, they sound great!
#83 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 08:03 PM

Hi!! I'm new to NT. Read the book and the EFLF book also. I have a few questions..... I bought some raw cashews at Trader Joes the other day and soaked them for 6 hours then put them in the oven at 150' for about 20 hours. They taste pretty good BUT a few had sprouted during soaking, is that okay or did I soak them too long??
Also, any other tips for getting started? I made the nuts and some chicken broth last week but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed this week!! I started taking my CLO today. I got NN orange flavor at Whole Foods. Drinking 'oil' takes some getting used to!! I took 2 tbsp (it's not high vitamin) is that enough? I'm nursing so would I need more?? Also, can/should I give it to my kids too? What about my new baby, she's 6 weeks old. Does anyone take Flax oil too or is it not necessary with the CLO?
Sorry for all the questions... and thanks a bunch!!!
#84 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 08:13 PM

Research report

Two burning issues:

1) Grain germination and phytates. There are mixed results on the effectiveness of reducing phytates through germination and I told some of you a couple of months back that I wouldn't bother, but I've seen enough positive results that I am changing my mind. I'm still not sure I'd bother too much -- like making wheat flour from sprouted wheat berries. Ground wheat either soaked or prepared as a sourdough of some sort will have nearly no phytates. The germination would increase the folate and vitamin C, but those are heat sensitive, so there is not a lot gained in baking with sprouted flour if you are also using a sourdough method or soaking the flour. It's over-kill.

2) Finishing beef on grains. We talked about this a few weeks ago and I think Sally says it's OK to finish them for a month on grains. That's what we did. The meat is more tender and has a little more fat. However, there is a lot of omega 3 loss with this approach. In one study, with just one month on grains the omega-3 fatty acid EPA decreased by over half and DHA decreased by nearly half. I think in this study the steers were exclusively grain for that last month, not mixed feed, I'd have to double-check. So the fat they are gaining in that period is not the good kind of fat.

Next steer, I'm not going to finish on grains and I will pay to have it hang longer at the butcher to improve the tenderness.

#85 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 08:18 PM

Hi Amber!! Congrats on your new baby and welcome to MDC!!!

IMO, your nursing babe doesn't need anything but your milk- by taking supplements yourself you're making sure that your milk is the best it can be. CLO supplements can be helpful for your older kids, but I'm not sure if it's truly necessary, or if it's worth introducing them to he CLO while you're still figuring out the whole NT thing.

#86 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Research report

Two burning issues:

1) Grain germination and phytates. There are mixed results on the effectiveness of reducing phytates through germination and I told some of you a couple of months back that I wouldn't bother, but I've seen enough positive results that I am changing my mind. I'm still not sure I'd bother too much -- like making wheat flour from sprouted wheat berries. Ground wheat either soaked or prepared as a sourdough of some sort will have nearly no phytates. The germination would increase the folate and vitamin C, but those are heat sensitive, so there is not a lot gained in baking with sprouted flour if you are also using a sourdough method or soaking the flour. It's over-kill.
So sprouted wheat flour is still a good idea if you're NOT soaking the grains or making sourdough? What I'm thinking specifically is buying the ready-made Ezekiel bread in the store for when I'm too busy to bake my own.

#87 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 08:23 PM

Welcome Amber

[QUOTE=knittinclothmama]Hi!! I'm new to NT. Read the book and the EFLF book also. I have a few questions..... I bought some raw cashews at Trader Joes the other day and soaked them for 6 hours then put them in the oven at 150' for about 20 hours. They taste pretty good BUT a few had sprouted during soaking, is that okay or did I soak them too long??

If they taste good, it's all good.

Quote:
I started taking my CLO today. I got NN orange flavor at Whole Foods. Drinking 'oil' takes some getting used to!! I took 2 tbsp (it's not high vitamin) is that enough? I'm nursing so would I need more?? Also, can/should I give it to my kids too? What about my new baby, she's 6 weeks old. Does anyone take Flax oil too or is it not necessary with the CLO?
Sorry for all the questions... and thanks a bunch!!!
I agree with Ruth on the baby. The other children I would give a maybe 1/2 tsp. You are taking a whole lot yourself. Unless you are taking it therapeutically for something like depression, I would maybe take 1 tbs and then I would switch to a high vitamin brand later.

I use flax seed oil for salad dressings but don't take it off of a spoon or anything. It has ALA, an Omega 3 that is converted to EPA. CLO has EPA.

#88 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
So sprouted wheat flour is still a good idea if you're NOT soaking the grains or making sourdough? What I'm thinking specifically is buying the ready-made Ezekiel bread in the store for when I'm too busy to bake my own.
I think that bread is probably pretty good between the germinating and the baking. It just seems to me from a home baking perspective that germinated flour is a lot of work.

#89 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 08:39 PM

Thanks Ruth and Amanda!! Okay, on the CLO dose maybe I misread something. My NN says there is 1-2,000 Vit A in each tsp so in 2 tbsp I would be taking 6-12,000. Is that too much?? I'm not taking it for anything therapeutic.
#90 of 545 Old 06-05-2006, 08:52 PM

You do need a lot of A and D. And the high oil is probably only going to help you, though perhaps break the bank. I would use the bottle and then get a higher vitamin CLO. (Unless of course you discover you feel so darned good or something and want to continue.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page