NT June Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 545 Old 06-06-2006, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another question.... what's a good source for vitamin B? Sally Fallon's books say nutritional yeast is good. I'm going to try and find some locally, is there anything else I should look into?
Here's why I'm asking. My 85 year old grandmother came over today and tells me I have a crack in my tongue (it isn't smooth all the way across it has a divide in it in the middle, hard to explain) so she says that means I'm deficient in Vitamin B. Anyone know anything about this???
#122 of 545 Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 PM

Yooper -- The Garden of Eating gets recommended a lot as a more vegetarian-oriented NT. I keep intending to buy it.

Thanks for the Carlson's info, carnelian. Interesting.

Interesting, too, Kerry Ann, freezing that CLO.

knittinclothmama -- nutritional yeast is good. Liver is good. I don't know about the tongue, but pretty much all of us here need more Bs.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#123 of 545 Old 06-06-2006, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Nutritional Yeast is pasterized. I question its content of B12. I would supplement in your situation with a really decent multi b such as New Chapter.
#124 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Nutritional Yeast is pasterized. I question its content of B12. I would supplement in your situation with a really decent multi b such as New Chapter.
Definitely don't count on B12 unless it's enriched with it. Some has posted the brand that has B12 -- Red *something.* There are no plant-based bioavailable forms of B12.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#125 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 02:01 AM

I am back from vacation.....anyone want/need a scoby? I know someone did..but i can't remember whom......
#126 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
If you have muscle spasms, twitches (like on your eye), or leg jerks at night while sleeping, you are likely low in magnesium. Low zinc = slow hair growth, white spots on nails. B vitamins. Just get a good supplement now.
what if you have ALL of the above symptoms??? UGH! What is wrong with me!?

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#127 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I do believe I should be able to fix myself, but it is just so hard to do it while largely disfunctional. That's the rub, right? Once I'm fixed, doing all of this will be easy. Until then... I can hardly keep my kitchen useable half the time. Okay, okay, I admit it. It is completely unusable a lot of the time.

I did pick up a co-enzyme B supplement, a magnesium supplement, and some melatonin. I am VERY uncomfortable taking the melatonin, particularly while breastfeeding, but my son is 28 months old, and while he breastfeeds a lot, I don't know how much volume he is getting. Regardless, my lack of sleep is bad for him. I MUST sleep, somehow. If a few days of melatonin means no days when I crash in the day while he watches tv, it is better, right?

Since the B vitamins are water soluable, he'll get plenty through my milk when I'm supplementing, right?

Thanks for the info. I'm working my way through the giant stickied thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celrae
My anxiety and depression have been helped a lot by diet and exercise. I am a different person now than in years past. I am convinced that most people can fix themselves by living healthier lives, but it is easier said than done so sometimes meds are needed. Sleep deprivation is awful so try to get all the help you can. I wish you well.

Mom, , to DS(10), , , due November 3, 2014, and 4 's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to .

****5****10****15****20****25********35****40
#128 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdrmrmama
what if you have ALL of the above symptoms??? UGH! What is wrong with me!?
You need to improve your diet and you might want to supplement your minerals. Read through the Nutrition and Immunology Thread in the vax forum, though I don't think there's much discussion of zinc. The good side of this is that you have reasons now that you might not feel optimal and you can fix them.

#129 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom
I do believe I should be able to fix myself, but it is just so hard to do it while largely disfunctional. That's the rub, right?
Yep. I can't tell you how much easier *everything* is now that I am feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom
I did pick up a co-enzyme B supplement, a magnesium supplement, and some melatonin. I am VERY uncomfortable taking the melatonin, particularly while breastfeeding, but my son is 28 months old, and while he breastfeeds a lot, I don't know how much volume he is getting. Regardless, my lack of sleep is bad for him. I MUST sleep, somehow. If a few days of melatonin means no days when I crash in the day while he watches tv, it is better, right?
I took an amino acid blend that was customized for my blood levels when my son was about 22 months. I avoided medication. Serotonin converts to melatonin and tryptophan to serotonin which is why some people sleep better with tryptophan. So another option to keep in mind is to use tryptophan (well, you would use 5HTP, a coenzyme form of tryptophan) and it could help with your sleep and your mood. But I'd try the melotonin first and see what happens.

Quote:
Since the B vitamins are water soluable, he'll get plenty through my milk when I'm supplementing, right?
You can theoretically get too much, but it's not likely, and your milk levels should be higher too, which is good. My chiro says that rosy lips are a sign of good B vitamin status. Mine were gray and then flesh-toned and now I look like I have light lipstick on. It's pretty amazing.

#130 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Mountainmom what do you think about the soy that NC uses to culture all their products in?
#131 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 01:02 PM

I have a quick question about soybean oil. Just how NT unfriendly is it? I ask because I'm still using regular store bought mayo and most salad dressings. I have a newborn and can't keep up all the NT stuff to the extent that I would otherwise like, so I really need to pick my battles carefully, kwim?

Also, on the subject of B vitamins, I have a bottle that I picked up while pregnant, but the labels says it contains several thousand times the RDA, which makes me nervous considering my nursing. Should I be nervous or is there nothing to worry about?

On the subject of sleep, I've noticed after all 3 of my babies my sleeping is disrupted. I get into bed and my mind is *edgy*. With the first two I ended up on zoloft to help my sleeping, because it continued to get worse as time went on. This time I'm really hoping to avoid the zoloft. I've been taking magnesium citrate, and it seems to help a bit. I'm wondering if I should also try adding in some zinc or something else...
#132 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome Kristin, and congrats on the new baby!

Don't worry about being several thousand times over the FDA limit of certain vitamins- those are designed to prevent obvious nutritional deficiencies, not for optimal nutrition. I currently take b-50 complex, and some days I take 2 pills rather than only one.

As for the soybean oil- I still use the mayo I purchased before starting NT. When I use it up, I'll consider replacing it with an NT-friendly brand or making my own, or I might just buy more of the conventional stuff. I only use it once or twice a week, I eat animal fats daily, and I don't buy vegetable oils (except olive and coconut) for other kitchen use, so I don't worry about the small amount of soybean, canola, or corn oil I still consume.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#133 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
I only use it once or twice a week, I eat animal fats daily, and I don't buy vegetable oils (except olive and coconut) for other kitchen use, so I don't worry about the small amount of soybean, canola, or corn oil I still consume.
Thanks for this reminder! It's good toget a little perspective on things.
#134 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
I am back from vacation.....anyone want/need a scoby? I know someone did..but i can't remember whom......
Me, me!! I want one. PM me your paypal addy and how much you need for shipping
#135 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 04:22 PM

Speaking of fats....I recently got my first coconut oil. It smells wonderful and coconutty and I used it right away, by frying some ground beef for tacos in it. Well, the taco meat tasted like coconut. Now I'm afraid to use it except to make things like pancakes or muffins. Is it always that obvious tasting?
#136 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 04:24 PM

hey just wanted to drop a note...overstock.com has EFLF for under $10....
#137 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
I have some new questions. We are back on the NT wagon after a string of illnesses that left the whole family out of commission.

I want to make crispy nuts. My oven only goes down to 170. Someone else has got to have this problem. What do I do?

How much energy am I wasting having the oven on at 200 degrees for 12-24 hours to make crispy cashews?
I would suggest investing in a dehydrator. Even a small, cheap one will do fine. I think I paid less than $30 for mine (Nesco) and I've used it regularly for 5 years. I find it dries things quicker than the oven, plus I hate having my oven tied up and shuffling cookie sheets.
#138 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 PM

Speaking of dehydrators, are there some that you can also use to make yogurt? I think I read that somewhere on MDC once. I'd love to only have to get one appliance.
What brands are good? I have a birthday coming up, so if I can drops hints to family. . .
#139 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
I would suggest investing in a dehydrator. Even a small, cheap one will do fine. I think I paid less than $30 for mine (Nesco) and I've used it regularly for 5 years. I find it dries things quicker than the oven, plus I hate having my oven tied up and shuffling cookie sheets.
See now I'm still getting used to mine. It takes a very long time to dry things like almonds or breads. I keep having to remind myself that it doesn't bake things but simply removes the moisture. Hibou, what kinds of things are you drying and what temp are you using?

I've dried sunseeds and pumpkin seeds no problem. I've made raw grainless crackers pretty easily but almonds and breads take about 18-24 hrs and it's noisy. OTOH it means no hot oven on all day long during the summer and like you said, no shuffling of cookie sheets. I'm gearing up to make some jerky and some fruit roll ups.
#140 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinclothmama
Another question.... what's a good source for vitamin B? Sally Fallon's books say nutritional yeast is good. I'm going to try and find some locally, is there anything else I should look into?
Here's why I'm asking. My 85 year old grandmother came over today and tells me I have a crack in my tongue (it isn't smooth all the way across it has a divide in it in the middle, hard to explain) so she says that means I'm deficient in Vitamin B. Anyone know anything about this???
Mouth cracks are usually connected to B2 deficiency. Although all the B vitamins are synergistic and one deficiency usually indicates deficiency in another B vitamin. Supplements are good, but best sources for body absorption are whole foods.

A good food source of vitamin Bs is seaweed. If you like sushi rolls and such, it's really easy to eat a bunch of it. If you are too lazy like me to make the rolls but tend to like seaweed, it's really good as a wrap -- take a sheet of seaweed nori, place some brown rice and then anything you like such as crabmeat, veggies, avocado, sprouts, etc, wrap it up and then eat like a sandwich or taco.
#141 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 08:15 PM

Anyone know which deficiency causes little bumps on the back of your arms? DH has them and I can't remember what that means.
Thanks!

S

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#142 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
You can theoretically get too much, but it's not likely, and your milk levels should be higher too, which is good. My chiro says that rosy lips are a sign of good B vitamin status. Mine were gray and then flesh-toned and now I look like I have light lipstick on. It's pretty amazing.
rosy lips a sign of good b vitamin status? hmm... it would be so nice to have such an easy way of knowing if i'm low or not... my mom always looked at tongues as an indicator (a white coating and/or cracks are a sign of deficiency).

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#143 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 08:34 PM

I've posted a thread on EFLF. I'm hoping that it will help make this vast knowledge more searchable. Thanks to those who've already posted. If anyone else has experience with EFLF, will you please let me know what you think?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...36#post5297536
#144 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita
rosy lips a sign of good b vitamin status? hmm... it would be so nice to have such an easy way of knowing if i'm low or not... my mom always looked at tongues as an indicator (a white coating and/or cracks are a sign of deficiency).
I've looked for research on the lips and haven't found any. I've heard about various tongue issues and deficiencies, but I can't remember what they are.

#145 of 545 Old 06-07-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit
Also, on the subject of B vitamins, I have a bottle that I picked up while pregnant, but the labels says it contains several thousand times the RDA, which makes me nervous considering my nursing. Should I be nervous or is there nothing to worry about?
Bs are notoriously hard to absorb as supplements, so they put large doses in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit
On the subject of sleep, I've noticed after all 3 of my babies my sleeping is disrupted. I get into bed and my mind is *edgy*. With the first two I ended up on zoloft to help my sleeping, because it continued to get worse as time went on. This time I'm really hoping to avoid the zoloft. I've been taking magnesium citrate, and it seems to help a bit. I'm wondering if I should also try adding in some zinc or something else...
Before the zoloft, you might want to read about people supplementing with 5HTP. Your best bet is to get an amino acid blood panel and see if you are low in tryptophan, but some people just give the supplement a trial run. There's a lot of info in the PPD forum.

#146 of 545 Old 06-08-2006, 12:17 AM

Hi all! I'm currently (re) reading NT. I'm also working my way through this thread (slowly, as dd naps). I wanted to post though, and say that I"m reinspired to start some of the ideas in there again. The more I read, the more I'm convinced this is the healthiest way for us to eat. I'm going to start by getting some unhomogenized, local, milk (it's pasteurized, but at the lowest temp required by law- 115F, I think) And making yogurt. And yogurt cheese. And then I'm going to use the whey to make mayo. I'm interested in trying kefir as well as piima cream. From there, I plan on sprouting our grains and beans for meals, and learning a bit about lacto fermentation. Maybe try some sourdough again. We already use olive oil, coconut oil, and butter as our main fats.

I saw some discussion on here about treating depression with diet. I'm depression prone (I think it's lack of EFAs), and I'm currently nursing. Lately, I've been eating poorly. (not a lot of veggies, not a lot of protien, a lot of carbs, and that's about it.) I'm lucky if I get two meals a day. And in the past few days, I've been depressed. I know I need to start eating better. So, I'm interested in the connection between diet and depression.

I think that's it for my (re) intro post. I'll prolly lurk here more than post, cause I'm learning. But I have to admit, I've gotten so GREAT ideas in this thread already!
#147 of 545 Old 06-08-2006, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i'm slooooooowly adding bits of NT to our lifestyle. the only dairy ds and i do is kefir from organic milk (not raw - too hard to get around here). dh still occasionally has his chocolate milk with his Jiff PB and Grape Jelly sandwiches (oh man do i have a lot to change on that front).

i'm sorta experimenting with my kefir. i ran out of milk yesterday, so i topped of the milk level with almond milk. the other jar has 5 oz of breastmilk with 15? oz of regular milk. i already think that straight breastmilk doesn't work - at least it doesn't separate in a 24 hour period.

occasionally, i separate the kefir whey and store it in the fridge. i'm fermenting radish greens - i just stuffed them in a jar, added some salt and whey. i think i overdid it on the salt though. next project is fermenting the radishes.

i'm sprouting a few things too - alfafa, some sprout mix i picked up at the coop, and some mung beans. just got some papaya seeds ready this evening.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#148 of 545 Old 06-08-2006, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm modifying a muffin recipe to be something between the Basic Muffin Recipe in NT and the one from The Tightwad Gazette. I have 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of All-Bran cereal (not exactly NT-legal, but it was in the pantry & needed to be used up) soaking in 1 1/3 cup buttermilk, will mix it up with shredded carrots, cinnamon, maple syrup, dates, egg, melted butter and baking soda in the morning.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#149 of 545 Old 06-08-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc
Mouth cracks are usually connected to B2 deficiency. Although all the B vitamins are synergistic and one deficiency usually indicates deficiency in another B vitamin. Supplements are good, but best sources for body absorption are whole foods.

A good food source of vitamin Bs is seaweed. If you like sushi rolls and such, it's really easy to eat a bunch of it. If you are too lazy like me to make the rolls but tend to like seaweed, it's really good as a wrap -- take a sheet of seaweed nori, place some brown rice and then anything you like such as crabmeat, veggies, avocado, sprouts, etc, wrap it up and then eat like a sandwich or taco.
Thanks for the idea, I'll definitely try that!!
#150 of 545 Old 06-08-2006, 02:39 AM

Quote:
You need to improve your diet and you might want to supplement your minerals. Read through the Nutrition and Immunology Thread in the vax forum, though I don't think there's much discussion of zinc. The good side of this is that you have reasons now that you might not feel optimal and you can fix them.
What are good minerals?? My dad gave me some liquid minerals he got from his chiropractor and I haven't taken them because out of the 75 different minerals in contains there are aluminum, mercury and lead and there are no amounts listed on the label as to how much. That makes me a little nervous. I'm trying to avoid those right??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page