NT June Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 545 Old 06-09-2006, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
Gale Force, I'm wondering about dream recall. How do you know if you recall your dreams? Is this just what you remember immediately upon waking, or is it supposed to be what you remember all day long?

Sometimes I remember my dreams, sometimes I don't. But then, I'm often awakened during the night by my toddler; I just assumed that I didn't remember dreams because I didn't get deep enough sleep to dream.
If you remember your dreams immediately upon waking, that's good enough. You don't have to be able to retell them over lunch. For the next week or so, see how often you remember first thing in the morning.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#182 of 545 Old 06-09-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Hibou, the leading raw/live foodists suggest setting the dehydrator at the highest temperature setting for the first 2-3 hrs and then lowering it to less than 120 for the rest of the drying process. During the initial hours the food temp doesn't exceed 118 because of the high moisture content of the food. Neither will the temp rise immediately to 145 and may actually take several hrs to get that high. This approach cuts down on the lengthy drying time.
My dehydrator has 2 settings: on and off
It certainly doesn't go above 120 degrees. I think it's the air moving around that dries things out (it has a warm fan).

re honey: Is there a local farmer that you can buy from direct? Another option is to try a small, family-owned grocery store or farmer's market. It is way cheaper if you buy it by the bucket. It will last forever- it's a natural preservative. (side note: I once bought "Canadian" honey from a large-scale grocery store, and when I read the label, it said "a blend of Canadian and Austrailian honey: ...so you do have to check carefully!)
#183 of 545 Old 06-09-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinclothmama
Also.... (sorry for all the questions.. ) how do I make myself like eating sprouted bread?? I've always eaten whole wheat bread and I have found whole wheat bread I like that isn't enriched but it isn't sprouted either.
Depending where you live, it can be gotten from local beekeepers or from food co-ops cheaper. I pay less than $20 a gallon from Azure Standard. we do a co-op order with my Mamas group.
#184 of 545 Old 06-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
heh my coworkers think it is kinda gross...

the failed breastmilk yogurt experiment wasn't as bad as this kefir one... at least i didn't taste the breastmilk yogurt....
Breastmilk won't culture into yogurt. The proteins aren't the right size to change and tangle into a curd.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#185 of 545 Old 06-09-2006, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
My dehydrator has 2 settings: on and off
It certainly doesn't go above 120 degrees. I think it's the air moving around that dries things out (it has a warm fan).
Mine also has only the on and off settings, but no fan... it has a heating element at the bottom and adjustable vents, but that's it. No instruction booklet, either. :

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#186 of 545 Old 06-09-2006, 11:44 PM

Gale Force, Thank you! I will just have to see what I remember. If I do supplement, what is the recommended amount? Can I just take a b-complex, or do I need to eat more b's (typed that without the apostrophe, and didn't like the way that looked: bs).

I get honey through my co-op or natural foods store. It's very reasonable either place, about $20/gal.

OT: GF, I thought you did a very nice job of raising the issue of phtates in the current soy thread. And in a very non-vitriolic manner. You marshalled the info. that I know, but can't ever seem to find for such discussions!
#187 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 12:31 AM

Hello Everyone!
I found out about this board through an NT Yahoo group. I'm wading through all of the many posts, and finding you to be a very knowledgeable group! I am very new to the whole NT way of life. I'm reading Eat Fat, Lose Fat, and consulting NT as I go along. I've already started to utilize many of the suggestions, and I love this whole way of eating and preparing food. It just makes so much sense to me.
Anyway, I just wanted to stop lurking and say hello to all of you!
--Angela
#188 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinclothmama
We are peanut butter lovers in my house so where does peanut butter fit in to the NT diet?? I know nuts that have been soaked and sprouted are the best but I haven't found raw peanuts yet. Is organic peanut butter okay to use?
On a side note we found organic Raw honey at Whole Foods and let me tell you it's wonderful!! My oldest dd said it was the best thing she ever put in her mouth! ha ha It brought back childhood memories for me. My aunt used to keep a fancy jar of honey on her counter and I remember it being so yummy!! Well, years ago I saw 'creamed' honey at the grocery store and I thought that was it, it wasn't!! My mom said she got it from Canada. I also found out that she used to buy raw milk from a local farm too!! Does anyone know where I can get raw honey that doesn't break the bank? I bought a small 22 oz jar for $8.99!! Yikes!!!
Also.... (sorry for all the questions.. ) how do I make myself like eating sprouted bread?? I've always eaten whole wheat bread and I have found whole wheat bread I like that isn't enriched but it isn't sprouted either.
Our whole foods has raw honey in bulk. I don't know if it actually says on the bulk container that's it's raw, but I checked and it is. I think it is $2.79/lb, whereas the same brand pre-packaged is about $11 for 2 1/2 lbs.

Peanuts are the one nut that are actually supposed to be roasted, so you can just buy dry-roasted peanuts and grind your own peanut butter with a blender or food processor, or use the little machine they have at Whole Foods. Or you can buy organic PB that just has dry roasted peanuts (and maybe sea salt) as the ingredients.
#189 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 10:21 AM

Anyone know how difficult it is to find NT friendly foods in Europe (specifically England, Germany, or Italy)? We're military and considering trying for an overseas job this fall, and I'd like to find out if it's possible to eat fairly NT before we do.

If anyone needs to make whey in a hurry...you can do it in a yogurt maker in about 18 hours. I attempted to make 24 hr goat yogurt, but apparently my starter failed and 18 hrs later I had curds & whey
#190 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
Gale Force, Thank you! I will just have to see what I remember. If I do supplement, what is the recommended amount? Can I just take a b-complex, or do I need to eat more b's (typed that without the apostrophe, and didn't like the way that looked: bs).

OT: GF, I thought you did a very nice job of raising the issue of phtates in the current soy thread. And in a very non-vitriolic manner. You marshalled the info. that I know, but can't ever seem to find for such discussions!
:

See how much B6 is in what you are already taking. But go through the week first and see what happens.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#191 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 11:32 AM

Welcome Angela! I mostly lurk on the NN yahoo list and post here.

knittinclothmama -- I have personally decided to reduce the peanut butter we consume. Peanuts are higher in phytates than almonds and I can soak and dry my own almonds to make almond butter. When I make the almond butter, I mix in some coconut oil and honey so it is ready for sandwiches. It is very tasty and no one has complained about the lack of peanut butter.

That said, I've been doing this for three years and my only son is already four years old. My health is good and I am able to handle more kitchen tasks. My son and I make the almond butter together. This would not have been possible two years ago for a number of reasons. So I do make my own but only started this in the last three months or so. Before that we used peanut butter and almond butter from Trader Joe's and I typically mixed the two to get the creamy from the PB and more minerals from the AB. Or sometimes we just used PB.

So, do what you can do and integrate whatever changes make sense and will not cause your family to rebel.

#192 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 02:32 PM

I'm wondering about consuming both kefir and kombucha and if it would be better to alternate?

I ask because I started brewing kefir a few weeks ago and have a scoby on the way. thx.

dust.gif
#193 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Our whole foods has raw honey in bulk. I don't know if it actually says on the bulk container that's it's raw, but I checked and it is. I think it is $2.79/lb, whereas the same brand pre-packaged is about $11 for 2 1/2 lbs.

Peanuts are the one nut that are actually supposed to be roasted, so you can just buy dry-roasted peanuts and grind your own peanut butter with a blender or food processor, or use the little machine they have at Whole Foods. Or you can buy organic PB that just has dry roasted peanuts (and maybe sea salt) as the ingredients.
I'll have to check and see if I can find the raw honey bulk!! It would be much cheaper!!!
With the peanut butter I actually 'did' do the one in the machine at Whole Foods last time I was there and the kids AND my dh (amazing!!) loved it! Glad to know that is okay w/ NT. They use dry roasted organic peanuts so that's good too!!
Thanks a bunch!!!
#194 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
knittinclothmama -- I have personally decided to reduce the peanut butter we consume. Peanuts are higher in phytates than almonds and I can soak and dry my own almonds to make almond butter. When I make the almond butter, I mix in some coconut oil and honey so it is ready for sandwiches. It is very tasty and no one has complained about the lack of peanut butter.

That said, I've been doing this for three years and my only son is already four years old. My health is good and I am able to handle more kitchen tasks. My son and I make the almond butter together. This would not have been possible two years ago for a number of reasons. So I do make my own but only started this in the last three months or so. Before that we used peanut butter and almond butter from Trader Joe's and I typically mixed the two to get the creamy from the PB and more minerals from the AB. Or sometimes we just used PB.

So, do what you can do and integrate whatever changes make sense and will not cause your family to rebel.
That's good to know!! Thanks again for all your help!!!
#195 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 05:22 PM

I bought raw honey through a food co-op earlier this week. I paid $13 for 5 lbs. of honey. It is totally raw, unfiltered, unheated, etc. There are actually some tiny specks of wax floating around in it!
Anyway, that works out to $2.60/lb., which is more than I was paying at my local hfs (for not-raw, but local and in bulk) but I think the nutritional quality of this is better, so it's okay.
#196 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 05:27 PM

Hi,
I need to make granola today. I have a tried and true recipe that I've been making for years, but I wanted to try something different, maybe soaking the oats in buttermilk or something.
Dh will be the main person eating this, and he doesn't care for any dried fruits, so I'd like something that could easily have fruit served on the side rather than mixed in.
Is there a recipe section of this board that I'm just not seeing? If so, I'm sorry to clog up this thread with recipe requests!
#197 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 11:21 PM

I have a question, I know we have talked about this before but the old threads are so long to go thru. Which is why we need a forum!

I need to get some bigger stainless steel pots. I can't remember if a magnet is supposed to stick to them or fall off?

I went on a cheese making workshop this weekend. It was really good. I now know how to make cheddar, haloumi, feta, mascarpone & ricotta. All I need is some bits of basic equipment & I can start to practise. I made some mascarpone today coz it is so simple & I am going to make it into a cheesecake for dinner tonight.
#198 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
If you remember your dreams immediately upon waking, that's good enough. You don't have to be able to retell them over lunch. For the next week or so, see how often you remember first thing in the morning.
i guess i must be long term deficient in B6. i only rarely recall a dream and when i do (at least have the sensation that i had been dreaming), i feel like i haven't slept. it's been like this ... well... for a really long time.

i'm drawing a blank... what are good natural sources of B6?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#199 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann
Breastmilk won't culture into yogurt. The proteins aren't the right size to change and tangle into a curd.
interesting... do you know if that would be size or conformation? off to check the protein databank...

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#200 of 545 Old 06-10-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
i'm drawing a blank... what are good natural sources of B6?
B6 (which has fortified food too)

#201 of 545 Old 06-11-2006, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Gale Force,

I do have good dream recall. I'm not sure I recall them every day, but I often get woken up by a toddler and have to start interacting right away. I think I pretty much always have some recall when I wake on my own, and often can recall bits much later. It's funny, though, because knowledgable people who hear my issues keep expecting me not to be able to recall dreams. One herbalist recommended titrating up a level of an herbal combo until I began dreaming every night, and was quite surprised when I said I already do.

So, I guess that means I get enough B6, but there will still be some in the B complex I've started taking.

Mom, , to DS(10), , , due November 3, 2014, and 4 's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to .

****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40
#202 of 545 Old 06-11-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma
I have a question, I know we have talked about this before but the old threads are so long to go thru. Which is why we need a forum!

I need to get some bigger stainless steel pots. I can't remember if a magnet is supposed to stick to them or fall off?
The magnet is supposed to stick.
#203 of 545 Old 06-11-2006, 04:28 PM

Thanx chasmyn! I'll take one of my fridge magnets shopping with me
#204 of 545 Old 06-11-2006, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann
I thought it could be made into yogurt, but not cheese.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#205 of 545 Old 06-11-2006, 08:58 PM

I have started taking high vitamin CLO recently, but now since it is summer, I am worried about too much vit. D. Should I be concerned?

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#206 of 545 Old 06-11-2006, 09:01 PM

Oh, and I just made my best batch of ginger ale today. I let it sit for 3 full days this time, and it turned out very bubbly and sweet, yum!

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#207 of 545 Old 06-11-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Kayla
Oh, and I just made my best batch of ginger ale today. I let it sit for 3 full days this time, and it turned out very bubbly and sweet, yum!
sounds great! what recipe did you use?
#208 of 545 Old 06-11-2006, 09:48 PM

Gale Force, I clicked on that link. It made my eyes hurt. I think I'm ingesting B6, 'course I never eat all those Kellogg's cereals, so maybe not!

I've been eating too many grains. I can tell, my body isn't happy with me. So, this week, I am going to make a stronger effort to eat lots of other foods. I have a friend coming to visit this week. We'll have a good time, as she's a recent convert to the NT lifestyle. It will be heap big fun talking about all our ideas and successes (and non-successes!).
#209 of 545 Old 06-11-2006, 11:43 PM

Another newbie here. I just purchased the book on last Wednesday and am very slowly digesting the wealth of information.

Can you tell me what was the first and biggest change you made on your NT journey? I have ordered our first supply of raw milk.. what about beyond that? Do you all grind your own flour? I am VERY interested in learning, I think this will be just the change we've been needing.
#210 of 545 Old 06-12-2006, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Right now my biggest challenge is financial- due to paperwork delays (mostly my own fault) I didn't get Food Stamps on the 7th this month. Thanks to my ex being unemployed, I haven't gotten Child Support for this month either. I have $2.50 in Food Stamps, a negative balance in my checking account, and $5 in my PayPal account. The Food Stamps should come through by tomorrow, but I'm not sure about tonight's dinner! I overbought produce last week and most of it got wasted.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page