NT June Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2006, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnC
My main problem with this way of cooking is that my refrigerator is always stuffed to the gills! All those sodas and kefir and stocks, plus sauerkraut and keeping wheat berries cold. I hardly can get one more thing in there!

Ann
That's what we're dealing with as well, plus the lack of counter space. But given the world context, too much food and not enough space viewed almost any other way seems a bounty, beneficience and a gratitude right

Thanks, mountain mom. I was thinking of nettles in terms of a decoction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 03:07 PM

I need an airlock thing as well, but what I do instead is just cover with a cloth. It still gets fizzy but we don't risk explosion.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian

Thanks, mountain mom. I was thinking of nettles in terms of a decoction.
Nettles won't tolerate a decoction. Only roots do. If you have fresh nettles available to you I would tincture them in AVC menstrum for 4 - 6 weeks. The menstrum then becomes part of the medicine. Its a great morning tonic.

Infusing nettle leaf for 20 - 30 minutes is enough to extract many nutrients.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:56 PM

The ACV and fresh nettles sounds like a tonic indeed. I do have access to them so I shall try this, thanks. Ratios? or perhaps you could direct me somewhere that would have this info. And when you say they don't tolerate decoction are you referring to dried or fresh or both?

GaleForce, that's good to know about the cloth. I ferment most of my things with cloth but thought the fizz would evaporate using this method with the sodas.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnC
My main problem with this way of cooking is that my refrigerator is always stuffed to the gills! All those sodas and kefir and stocks, plus sauerkraut and keeping wheat berries cold. I hardly can get one more thing in there!

Ann
Me too! NT cooking has totally renewed my desire for a small freezer or inexpensive energy efficient fridge in the garage.

The melomel sounds wonderful. I hope that you were able to store it at a good temp. We made some several years ago & didn't have a good place to store it. A lot of it got ruined.

An airlock can be improvised by running a clean tube from your fermentation vessel into a jar of water. They are really inexpensive though, so it might be cheaper to buy one than to make one.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I would also add to that liver congestion and hormonal flux. Given that you have had a baby in the last year HerthElde your body is in flux still with hormonal levels. The stress of this experience coupled with your move I would say the liver needs some support right now. Having herbs such as dandelion root, wild yam root, nettle, yellowdock, siberian ginseng, ashwaganda, schizandra will really help. As well your adrenals may be taxed. Liver is the organ of anger, rage. Adrenals play a role in this as well because they are in charge of the fight or fly repsonse. Once the adrenals become taxed the thyroid is also affected.

That was fairly muddled I hope you could follow! In summary I would start by supporting the liver/adrenals with a good daily tincture of supporting and nutritive herbs. Especially Siberian Ginseng, Ashwaganda and Schizandra.
Mountain Mom, I am interested in doing this. Are all these safe for nursing? What is a good book that discusses the various herbs and making of the tinctures? I have also been dealing with rage issues and thinking the liver was connected, but didn't know what to do. And also have a 18 month old and a move across country coming up!! Would love any more info or places to search about supporting the liver and adrenals.

Thanks.

Stacy
Old 06-13-2006, 04:37 PM

I was just reading thru Wild Fermentation as I remembered he talked about airlocks and he suggests improvising with a balloon. I'll be trying this next time. Btw, the rosehip soda is . Barely sweet with a lovely rose aftertaste and a gorgeous ruby color.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:54 PM

You ladies are amazing!! I am very new to this and totally overwhelmed with all the soaking and fermenting. What's a good recipe to try first? I'm trying to make all these changes... it's a process. I started taking CLO, I've made some crispy nuts and made some chicken broth a couple weeks ago. Other than that I'm just trying to replace the ingredients in foods I normally make so that they are NT friendly. Slowly weaning the kids from cereal and giving them oatmeal (my oldest dd loved it with butter in it!!) or eggs. Lunches are bit harder, they usually want peanut butter and honey so I'm using organic peanut butter and raw honey now. And dinners are a little easier. I'm trying to get better quality meats and vary the kind of meat we are eating.... sides are a bit harder.. veggies is a given and then brown rice or potatoes usually but are they NT friendly and should I be soaking them? I am determined to eat healthier but it's a hard switch to make with 4 kids, one being a newborn!! Any advice/suggestions???
Old 06-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Another question.... I have a recipe for banana bread that I'm trying to convert and it calls for 3/4 cup of veg. oil. What should I replace it with? That's a lot of coconut oil and the ghee I bought will be almost gone if I use that, can I use butter if it will be cooked?? TIA!!
Old 06-13-2006, 04:59 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM

I want to learn more about ashwanganda and schizandra?

I just put together that i am having repeated tendon weakness/sprains/bursitis etc.

Definetly have a pattern going here.

upped my B6 and Mg.

Planning an appointment with a TCM for their imput.

TIA
Old 06-13-2006, 05:03 PM

Mountain Mom, I am in awe of your knowlege! You inspire me! I would love to connect my brain to yours and download some of that information.

AnnC, that is awesome! I find that doing such NT tasks as the broths and whatnot are time-consuming, and a lot of work (mostly on the clean-up end). However, the results are so good, and so nourishing, that it is definitely worth the effort.

I need to talk to my Amish farmer and see if they have any chickens yet. I'd like to order a dozen or so for my freezer. They pasture their chickens, and they have both certified organic and antibiotic/hormone free chickens. Both are quite tasty and very reasonable.

((((HerthElde)))). Sometimes it's hard to be a mom. We are responsible for so much. It does get tiring and overwhelming sometimes, both physically and emotionally. I hope that you are able to figure out your issues soon.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinclothmama
Another question.... I have a recipe for banana bread that I'm trying to convert and it calls for 3/4 cup of veg. oil. What should I replace it with? That's a lot of coconut oil and the ghee I bought will be almost gone if I use that, can I use butter if it will be cooked?? TIA!!
I would use coconut oil or butter or a combo of both.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 06-13-2006, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian
The ACV and fresh nettles sounds like a tonic indeed. I do have access to them so I shall try this, thanks. Ratios? or perhaps you could direct me somewhere that would have this info. And when you say they don't tolerate decoction are you referring to dried or fresh or both?
Decoction should only be done with roots, not leaves.

Here is a link to a great tincture guide from Micheal Moore

http://www.swsbm.com/ManualsMM/HerbTinct3.txt

That one goes through many herbs and gives ratios and menstrum strength needed.

Most herbs need a strength of alcohol that is 40 - 50%. I use a method called "simpler's method".

You take enought of the herb (fresh or freshly dried depending), and loosely fill a jar. Take the menstrum and pour enough in to just cover. Cap and shake every day. Put good energy into it. Watch how it changes. Try and feel its energy.

I follow the rythym of the moon with my tinctures, decanting usually 6 - 12 weeks after I put them on to soak with the moon and star cycles are aligned as such. Simply though you could put a tincture on to soak whilst the moon is new and decant it two full moon cycles later on the full moon.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
Mountain Mom, I am interested in doing this. Are all these safe for nursing? What is a good book that discusses the various herbs and making of the tinctures? I have also been dealing with rage issues and thinking the liver was connected, but didn't know what to do. And also have a 18 month old and a move across country coming up!! Would love any more info or places to search about supporting the liver and adrenals.

Thanks.

Stacy
At tonic dosages Siberian Ginseng, Ashwaganda and Schisandra are all safe while breastfeeding. Particulairly at the stage you are at with nursing.

Check out the link on my last thread for a great guide to tincturing. As well I highly recommend Rosemary Gladstar's The Family Herbal.

For general herb information check out www.botanical.com which also links you to Mountain Rose Herbs where you can find extremely good quality herbs to make your tinctures from.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:49 PM

Well, this is month 2 for NT in my house. I'm loving the changes that I'm making. DH, however, is not. He complains quite frequently that "we don't have anything in this house to eat that doesn't take forever to prepare!" I've tried explaining that not having convenience foods laying around is making us much more mindful of what we're eating, but he's still giving me flack. Is there such things as convenient NT foods (besides nuts, he does like those)? And what do you have when you are pressed for time?
Old 06-13-2006, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by intentfulady
OOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM

I want to learn more about ashwanganda and schizandra?

I just put together that i am having repeated tendon weakness/sprains/bursitis etc.

Definetly have a pattern going here.

upped my B6 and Mg.

Planning an appointment with a TCM for their imput.

TIA
Hey Intentfulady! Great to 'see' you. Call me if like! I will be around all day tomorrow. I leave on the weekend to go out to the land again.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawkins
Well, this is month 2 for NT in my house. I'm loving the changes that I'm making. DH, however, is not. He complains quite frequently that "we don't have anything in this house to eat that doesn't take forever to prepare!" I've tried explaining that not having convenience foods laying around is making us much more mindful of what we're eating, but he's still giving me flack. Is there such things as convenient NT foods (besides nuts, he does like those)? And what do you have when you are pressed for time?
:

My dh is the exact same way!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawkins
We always have various versions of the sunflower brownies ready to nosh on as well as the fermented buttermilk muffins. I also make a sprouted bean dip of some sort each week to eat with sprouted corn chips and fresh cut veggies.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
We always have various versions of the sunflower brownies ready to nosh on as well as the fermented buttermilk muffins. I also make a sprouted bean dip of some sort each week to eat with sprouted corn chips and fresh cut veggies.
ooh, would love the sprouted bean dip and corn chip recipes
Old 06-13-2006, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I don't make the corn chips, I buy em! Heh.

But for the dip its really easy. Sprout the bean of your choice. I use garbanzos a lot.

Onced sprouted cook and strain and chill.

Take about 1/2 - 3/4 cup tahini to 2 - 3 cups beans and process in the blender or food processor.

Add diced garlic, carrot, and any other veggies you love that would work. I also add about 1/2 cup of hemp oil and hemp hearts for added nutrition. Sea salt to taste and viola! Bean dip.

I also make a pinto/tahini/musturd combo that is awesome with bison sausages on sprouted hotdog buns.

Once you have the beans, nut butter ratio down you can create many interesting dips.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:07 PM

You always have such great ideas, mountain mom!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, you guys are making me blush. :
Old 06-13-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinclothmama
and then brown rice or potatoes usually but are they NT friendly and should I be soaking them?
Potoatoes are fine. Rice, I think is suggested to soak for 6 hours min., but I think is lower in phytates than other grains, so in a pinch unsoaked rice is a better option.

I made the quick ricotta today with raw milk. It didn't curdle so much the first time, so I ended up adding more vinegar than the recipe called for and then re-straining it. It worked much better the second time. The cheese has a slight vinegar taste to it which I don't care for, but maybe next time I'll try a different vinegar or more lemon juice.

Had a discussion with DH lastnight in regards to his um...reluctance to jump in to our healthful eating (it's been nearly 2 years now!: )... He too complains about coming home hungry, and reaching for junkfood because there's nothing instant to eat. So, we decided that I would try to keep thawed, cut, marinated meat in the fridge so he can do quick stir-frys and stuff like that. Once again crossing my fingers and praying that this will make the difference.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:19 PM

So does anyone here have the turbo oven that Dr. Mercola recommends? There's a thread about it but I thought I'd ask here, too, to cover all the bases. We're thinking of getting it but I cannot find any reviews anywhere. Anyone?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
Potoatoes are fine. Rice, I think is suggested to soak for 6 hours min., but I think is lower in phytates than other grains, so in a pinch unsoaked rice is a better option.

I made the quick ricotta today with raw milk. It didn't curdle so much the first time, so I ended up adding more vinegar than the recipe called for and then re-straining it. It worked much better the second time. The cheese has a slight vinegar taste to it which I don't care for, but maybe next time I'll try a different vinegar or more lemon juice.

Had a discussion with DH lastnight in regards to his um...reluctance to jump in to our healthful eating (it's been nearly 2 years now!: )... He too complains about coming home hungry, and reaching for junkfood because there's nothing instant to eat. So, we decided that I would try to keep thawed, cut, marinated meat in the fridge so he can do quick stir-frys and stuff like that. Once again crossing my fingers and praying that this will make the difference.
Thank you!!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan
I would use coconut oil or butter or a combo of both.
Okay, thank you!!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I don't make the corn chips, I buy em! Heh.

But for the dip its really easy. Sprout the bean of your choice. I use garbanzos a lot.

Onced sprouted cook and strain and chill.

Take about 1/2 - 3/4 cup tahini to 2 - 3 cups beans and process in the blender or food processor.

Add diced garlic, carrot, and any other veggies you love that would work. I also add about 1/2 cup of hemp oil and hemp hearts for added nutrition. Sea salt to taste and viola! Bean dip.

I also make a pinto/tahini/musturd combo that is awesome with bison sausages on sprouted hotdog buns.

Once you have the beans, nut butter ratio down you can create many interesting dips.
Sounds yummy!!! My dh would love to have bean dip around on a regular basis! Do you use canned beans or dry?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I just got back from grocery shopping and I have some raw pecans soaking right now so I can make the sunflower brownies!
Do you use the buttermilk muffin recipe from the NT book? The basic muffin recipe? And do you freshly ground your flour?? I'm not at that point yet, just using whole wheat flour from the health food store.... I know it's not as good!!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

I use dry beans. I soak them overnight and then strain and sprout for about 3 days. Then I cook them.

I use flour I buy from a wholesaler. I don't grind my grains. Haven't got to that point yet.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I use dry beans. I soak them overnight and then strain and sprout for about 3 days. Then I cook them.

I use flour I buy from a wholesaler. I don't grind my grains. Haven't got to that point yet.
I've been at this for 9 years, and this year I instituted my last step -- grinding my own flour. For me, at least, it seems like the advanced course! I feel good about doing it, though. It doesn't take long when I only need 3 or 4 cups for a loaf of bread.
Before that, I just got the best flour I could find, usually Bob's Red Mill organic white whole wheat, mixed with hard spring whole wheat. Or King Arthur makes good flour, too. My holdout is I still use a little white unbleached flour. It just makes it all hold together and rise better. I suppose a little of it won't kill me!

These things are time consuming, but not too bad with planning. Bread rising and stock in the crock pot is pretty self-sufficient while you are doing other things -- you just have to pick a day when you are home to monitor. I use my bread machine for the mixing and kneading, then take it out to rise in a glass bowl; punch it down, rise again; then hours later, I shape it for the final rise. It takes all day, but doesn't involve much work. It's worth it for the flavor, and knowing what's in my bread!

The worst, I think, is the cleanup after stock making!

Here's a question: I thought I read somewhere in Sally's writings that bulgar is pre-soaked wheat. I bought some, and it's chopped into little pieces, meant for cereal, and it says it has been "steamed". Is that going to affect those phytates? I thought I could grind it in my mill, and use it for biscuits, cookies, things where it just seems it wouldn't work to soak or sour the flour. Does anyone know if bulgar can just be used without soaking or souring?

Ann

User Tag List