Water kefir grains -- mailing tomorrow (Tues) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 06-12-2006, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't figure out how to edit the title of the thread, but I'll be mailing again this coming week.

I've said I'd mail Monday, but it may be Tuesday. Either way, they will get to the east coast by the end of the week and other parts of the country by Wed or Thurs.

Here's the thread where we are all going bananas over the water grains.

I've got excessive amounts and need to ship them or eat them.

Send $4.50 funded paypal to sander(at)lightspeed.net by Monday 8 pacific to be sure, but I will likely be out of town for a bit this weekend and that may include Monday (in which case I'll mail Tuesday).

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#2 of 36 Old 06-12-2006, 08:22 PM

i wish i could take some, but i'm in canada
#3 of 36 Old 06-12-2006, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Too bad Karen.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#4 of 36 Old 06-12-2006, 11:51 PM

I'm going on vacation soon so I can't get any right now, but I'd LOVE to get some later this summer if you have more!! Mid July or later for me. We have a dairy sensitivity here so I can't use the normal starters. Please keep in mind!!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#5 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 AM

I'm interested. I'm email you... Thanks!
#6 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

#7 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 05:00 AM

Do you think it's safe to ship them to New Mexico? We don't live in a super hot area (the mountains), but they're sure to go through Albuquerque. If you think it's safe, I sure would like some. Thanks!!

BTW, what is cc Paypal?

Christie

ETA: I'm talking about the heat here, btw. It can get pretty hot in Albuquerque.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#8 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB
BTW, what is cc Paypal?

Christie
Credit card funded paypal.
#9 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Christie,

I've shipped them to some pretty hot areas and the grains are pretty resilient. I think they'd be OK, they may just have more of an adjustment.

Amanda

#10 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 01:44 PM

I got some the whole way to NYC and they are just fine. Just chugged some coconut kefir (which was way better than what I made before with powder packets) and it was
#11 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 01:50 PM

have you left for the postoffice yet?
let me know, I"m definitely interested....

thanks!!
#12 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

That's great to hear moonshine.

The heat in the airports is probably pretty comparable to Albuquerque, so it's likely that every out-of-California batch gets exposed to a good bit of heat in the summer. The in-California batches do too, but not quite as badly.

They are packed in baggies with enough sugar water to sustain them on the trip.

I'm mailing in about one hour.

#13 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 01:57 PM

I just send a payment... thanks!
#14 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Got it.

#15 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 02:12 PM

I just saw this and went ahead and sent you a paypal too, if I'm too late to get in on your water kefir grains today, just refund me Thanks so much!!
#16 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still here.

#17 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Last call. I'll check my paypal account before I go, but I'm heading for the car in about 10 minutes.

#18 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 03:53 PM

Oh no! I can't believe I missed it! I just couldn't get to the computer earlier. Next time you ship, please let me know. Can't believe I didn't think to pay you just in case last night.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#19 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hey ChristieB. I've still got them coming out of my ears. I'm going to mail out again this coming Monday.

Funded paypal to sander(at)lightspeed.net for anyone interested. I'll start a new thread at some point.

#20 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 05:57 PM

Gale Force - would they survive during my vacation? I am going to be gone for a week. I really want some and hate to miss out, but I'd hate for them to die too. What do you think?

Woohoo! I am so excited - I have been missing kefir and that coconut milk kefir sounds really good!!

#21 of 36 Old 06-13-2006, 06:56 PM

Amanda, I sent a Paypal payment.

Moonshine, I would love to make coconut kefir. Did you use coconut milk or coconut water. If you used coconut milk, was it canned or homemade? And how did you strain it?

Thanks,
Christie

#22 of 36 Old 06-14-2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB
Moonshine, I would love to make coconut kefir. Did you use coconut milk or coconut water. If you used coconut milk, was it canned or homemade? And how did you strain it?

Thanks,
Christie
I initially made it like this. Now that I have Amanda's water grains, I followed her directions to let the sugar water ferment, then added coconut water that I got from a young coconut. Then let it sit of another day or so. It was mighty tasty. Oh, and I probably should have strained the coconut water first, but didn't think of it. It was pretty clean though. Since it was just the liquid from one coconut plus the kefir water, it took a lot less coconut than the way I was doing it before (which was 3-4 coconuts). Much less work!
#23 of 36 Old 06-14-2006, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33
Gale Force - would they survive during my vacation? I am going to be gone for a week. I really want some and hate to miss out, but I'd hate for them to die too. What do you think?
If you are leaving after receiving them, they can sit in the fridge for a week in their sugar solution. Or would they arrive while you were gone and if so, how long before you return? You would receive these Thurs or Fri of next week.

#24 of 36 Old 06-14-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
If you are leaving after receiving them, they can sit in the fridge for a week in their sugar solution. Or would they arrive while you were gone and if so, how long before you return? You would receive these Thurs or Fri of next week.
I am leaving July 1st for a week. So I would have them for about a week before I left. If you don't mind instructing me on how to handle them in this situation I would love to get some, too Thanks mama!!!!

#25 of 36 Old 06-14-2006, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33
I am leaving July 1st for a week. So I would have them for about a week before I left. If you don't mind instructing me on how to handle them in this situation I would love to get some, too Thanks mama!!!!
No problem. Those instructions will be included with the grains.

#26 of 36 Old 06-16-2006, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Friday everyone.

#27 of 36 Old 06-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Happy Friday to you, and thank you so much for sending the grains! They are sitting in sugar water in our kitchen cupboard and I am peering at them every now and then to try to figure out if it's "kefir" yet... it's not as obvious as with the milk grains!
#28 of 36 Old 06-16-2006, 07:32 PM

Got my grains yesterday, thanks Amanda!
I'm going to try the making lemon verbena ale.
#29 of 36 Old 06-16-2006, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Cool.

#30 of 36 Old 06-16-2006, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

tamagotchi -- you may see some bubbles, but I just go by the clock and once I've removed the grains if I am letting it brew longer, I taste it regularly. In fact, excuse me while I go do some sampling...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page