Mothering Forum banner

NT recipies and raw meat/fish

863 views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Mirzam 
#1 ·
I continiously browse thru NT for nutritional info, however, I had never really used any of S.Fallon's recipies. Are they good? They seem so exciting and different, the kind of recipies that you won't find in the regular mainstream cookbook.

Also, any of you really eat raw meat? I just can't imagine myself doing it, I'm nervous, even after freezing for 14 days. Also, for a moment, I got excited about raw fish until I read that she doesn't recommend sushi as the fish is not marinated.
So - honestly, who can tell that they ate raw meat/fish and liked it/didn't get sick from it.
Needless to say, I can't imagine giving my son raw liver.

#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janelovesmax

Also, any of you really eat raw meat? I just can't imagine myself doing it, I'm nervous, even after freezing for 14 days. Also, for a moment, I got excited about raw fish until I read that she doesn't recommend sushi as the fish is not marinated.
So - honestly, who can tell that they ate raw meat/fish and liked it/didn't get sick from it.
Needless to say, I can't imagine giving my son raw liver.
I'll take it as a "no", since nobody responded.

#4 ·
I do. But I don't follow SF's NT way, I am much more hardcore than that because I follow Aajonus Vonderplanitz's Primal Diet, so none of the raw meat or fish I eat is previously frozen for 14 days. Today I ate raw green veggie juice, raw beef, and just finished my dinner, cerviche made with raw scallops marinaded overnight in lemon juice. Yesterday, I had raw Sashimi (toro tuna), so I don't always eat marinated raw fish by any means.

I have been eating raw meat and fish for over eight years and never gotten sick from it.

Oh, as for raw liver, I did give my son some in a sort of smoothie, but it didn't fly. He sipped it to humor me, but that was it. I certainly wasn't afraid he would get sick from it though.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janelovesmax
I'll take it as a "no", since nobody responded.
I've eaten steak tartare and survived, although I didn't like it (it was at a party!)
I sometimes make the liver cocktail from NT, grated raw liver in vegetable juice. Or I dice frozen liver into little bits and swallow them with a chaser. I also put the grated liver in my cats' food. I eat pickled herring, which is raw. Otherwise, I stick to raw dairy and raw eggs, mostly the yolks. I do eat meat rare, though -- my whole family does. My BIL is convinced we are insane because we all eat meat red inside.

Ann

#12 ·
Dd and I ate raw jack (northern pike) last that dh caught father's day weekend. Actually we munched on it while I was pulling the little bones to prep it for frying. Then yesterday we had smoked raw salmon for breakfast.
I have made the pickled fish with fish that dh caught and I really liked it (I may have tweaked it a bit using a lutheran church cookbook I have that had some traditional icelandic recipes in it).
I've also eaten some raw liver here and there unmarinated, but frozen.

#13 ·
We just had our first raw beef yesterday. It was actually really, really good. I edited the NT recipe--it was basically beef (local, organic, grass-fed) sliced thin with salad dressing, cheese shavings, hazelnut oil and lime juice. Why? Because that's what we had on hand. . . .

We've also had ceviche in the past--scallops soaked in some citrus juices. And we're all still alive.

DS LOVED the beef and ate it like candy. I'd like to say I was cool calm and collected about the whole thing, but I did have a little bit of nervousness, since vanished.

In short, go for it!

#15 ·
my son really likes raw liver. He eats piece after piece of it. Dh liked it raw too, while I was prepping it for frying for dinner. They both like raw meat. Ds likes raw meat better than cooked because it is easier to chew I think. We eat our "cooked" meat rare too.

I don't understand why Sally Fallon would recommend eating unmarinated raw beef, but be against sushi. I think that is just one of her crazy idiosyncrasies.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CluckyInAZ
my son really likes raw liver. He eats piece after piece of it. Dh liked it raw too, while I was prepping it for frying for dinner. They both like raw meat. Ds likes raw meat better than cooked because it is easier to chew I think. We eat our "cooked" meat rare too.

I don't understand why Sally Fallon would recommend eating unmarinated raw beef, but be against sushi. I think that is just one of her crazy idiosyncrasies.
I don't eat restaurant or store-bought sushi, because I read the ingredients! We had a sushi bar at the store, and they made a big deal about it being fresh, traditional, you name it. But I picked up one of the take-home packages of it, and the ingredients listed every additive you can think of! Maybe that's why she doesn't recommend it.

If you made it yourself at home, I don't see why it would be a problem, any more than all the others things we make at home!

Ann

#17 ·
how do you get over the 'ick' factor of raw meat? in the past i couldn't even stand to eat steak medium -always went with medium well. since discovering nt, i want to try getting used to medium (and maybe later medium rare) but i rarely cook steak at home (usually do roasts), and i'm not sure i want to eat medium meat at a restaurant.

#18 ·
Hello! We just started the primal diet (Aajonus Vonderplanitz-sp?). Although we may have to throw in a little NT as well with some sprouted grain bread. We'll see...
Anyway, we've been having raw meat, eggs, butter, cream, milk and veggie juice for almost a week now. I even downed an egg rocky style yesterday (broken in glass and chugged it!). We have only tried raw chicken so far. I have a really tough time just eating it straight. It is much better with peices of tomatoes or avocado with each bite. Also, today we had it in a sandwich (a no-no on the primal diet, I know) just to get over the mental aspect. Now THAT was incredibally do-able and delicious! I think it just takes some time to get over it. Raw chicken really hardly has any taste...it's just he thought of it at first
And the primal diet doesn't reccomend freezing your meat first...that would kill off all the good "live" stuff in it that is going to heal your body. Happy Raw Eating! I think we're going to keep it up

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrose_lee
Hello! We just started the primal diet (Aajonus Vonderplanitz-sp?). Although we may have to throw in a little NT as well with some sprouted grain bread. We'll see...
Anyway, we've been having raw meat, eggs, butter, cream, milk and veggie juice for almost a week now. I even downed an egg rocky style yesterday (broken in glass and chugged it!). We have only tried raw chicken so far. I have a really tough time just eating it straight. It is much better with peices of tomatoes or avocado with each bite. Also, today we had it in a sandwich (a no-no on the primal diet, I know) just to get over the mental aspect. Now THAT was incredibally do-able and delicious! I think it just takes some time to get over it. Raw chicken really hardly has any taste...it's just he thought of it at first
And the primal diet doesn't reccomend freezing your meat first...that would kill off all the good "live" stuff in it that is going to heal your body. Happy Raw Eating! I think we're going to keep it up

Sounds like you are doing great.
I prefer to eat the raw meat with avocado too.

I think Fallon recommends freezing the meat because most people are paranoid about bacteria and getting food poisoning. In the eight plus years I have been eating raw meat I have never once gotten sick from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.