How do I bottle kombucha tea? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-18-2006, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone done this? I know I've heard of people bottling it, but I googled and didn't find any instructions. DH has a home brew kit for beer that includes bottles, caps, and a bottle capper tool. I wanted to try to capture the kombucha at its peak but also don't want bottles bursting everywhere. Any advice?
#2 of 7 Old 06-18-2006, 02:03 PM

I'm curious too. Currently, I'm using an airtight glass refrigerator pitcher. That's OK too, right?

Thanks.

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#3 of 7 Old 06-18-2006, 06:14 PM

You could go with something fancy like an airlock which lets the carbon out slowly and doesn't allow any air in. These can be bought at a wine supply store or online. Or you can cap the bottle with a balloon which will expand as the fermentation process develops. From what I remember kombucha is fermented for about a month so you'll want to release the air in the balloon periodically. We use the balloon method for all our lacto-fermented drinks. I've not made kombucha myself but the process is very similar to the lacto-fermented drinks so I imagine it would work fine.
#4 of 7 Old 06-19-2006, 12:56 AM

carnelian, do you use just a regular balloon? or is it something special?
i am new to home brewed beverages, does just keeping it in a mason jar do the same as bottling...what i mean is that bottling. i have done that with my kombucha and have never had it explode or anything...it did seem to turn alcoholic though. would bottling stop it from further fermenting?
#5 of 7 Old 06-19-2006, 02:13 AM

can bottled kombucha be kept at room temp, or would it need refrigeration?
#6 of 7 Old 06-19-2006, 12:03 PM

Yep, a regular old balloon works fine. Sometimes it helps to blow it up first and (then release the air) just so the rubber is more pliable. What stops fermentation is refrigeration. Bottling is simply the straining of your fermented liquid from it's initial state be it in kefir grains or with the mushroom etc to a bottle, mason jar etc. and then capping it. Fermentation continues until it is refrigerated. And even then fermentation can continue at a very slow level.
#7 of 7 Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 PM

: I have my first batch ready in a few days and have no clue what to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page