? about kombucha needing to "breathe" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2006, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sorry I've been bombarding you guys with kombucha questions, but today I am picking up my K baby! I got the Laurel Farms book at the library and read tha she recommends using a bowl rather than a wide mouth jar so the kombucha can breathe. I had been planning to use jars. Are the bowls really better? TIA! I appreciate you guys holding my hand through this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyshoe
I am sorry I've been bombarding you guys with kombucha questions, but today I am picking up my K baby! I got the Laurel Farms book at the library and read tha she recommends using a bowl rather than a wide mouth jar so the kombucha can breathe. I had been planning to use jars. Are the bowls really better? TIA! I appreciate you guys holding my hand through this!
I use one of my big gallon Mason jars that we use for milk. I cover it more or less loosely with waxed paper, then with an old towel, which I use to cover the whole thing, since I think it's supposed to be away from the light, and I stash it in a corner of the kitchen counter and put a date on it so I don't forget how long it's been there! I've never used a bowl. But the mason jar has a wide opening, about 6 or 8 inches I think.

Ann
Old 06-21-2006, 12:59 PM

You do supposedly need a high 'air to surface' ratio to help the Scoby 'breathe'. I don't use the suggested bowl, but a large sized anchor hawking 'cannister' type jar (mainly because the top rim is PERFECT for holding a rubber band to keep my 'tea towel' in place.

Most places I've read for what to cover the top with suggest one layer of a cotton cloth (kitchen tea towel or a birdseye flat fold diaper work great), so that it keeps out fruit flies and dust, but allows some air circulation, plus the towel hanging down over the container keeps it nice and dark and away from direct light. The rubber band keeps it in place and will make the top nice and 'taunt' so that the towel doesn't hang down in your tea...

Hope that helps some. I would not use a solid barrier, the tea may brew fine, but the air helps the newly forming SCOBY to stay healthy and aerobic, as you NEVER want anerobic stuff growing in your Kombucha brew... and it will tend towards the 'vinegary' side with less air circulation. (But that is a personal choice).

Heather
Old 06-21-2006, 01:36 PM

I use a 4 qt. pyrex bowl. I put two pieces of scotch tape crossed over the top of the bowl, and then I put a tea towel rubberbanded around the bowl over that.

It works great.

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
Old 06-21-2006, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! That helps a lot. I have a bowl that will work to get me started but I don't want it "tied up" all the time so I'll keep an eye out at yard sales for something else I can use.

User Tag List