SCD/NT Chefs - Please help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-24-2006, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas -

I have been on SCD for 12 days now. I just tried to make hazelnut and pecan butter and they appear to be a failure. The recipe I got says to use 2 cups of nuts, put them in the food processor, let them get all ground down then they will turn into a big ball. At that point you can add oil (no more than 3 tsp for 2 cups of nuts). If you are patient, the ball will eventually turn into creamy butter. NOT!!

I am so frustrated!! What am I doing wrong? Here is more info that will probably help. I was told that I should soak the nuts in salted water overnight. I did that. I drained the nuts for about 10 minutes before putting them in the processor. It is a cheapy Hamilton Beach with one speed. I kept having to take the top off to push down the nuts. I mean like 25 times. They had no problem getting ground up but then the blades were just kinda spinning. I tried adding oil, and more oil and more oil. Now they are probably ruined:. I was planning on using them for pancakes and muffins, not for spreading so I am not panicking about the oil. The consistency of the "nut butter" that I got is a cross between frosting (maybe due to the oil) - it feels like frosting when you mix it, kinda fluffy and airy. When I taste it, the texture is like cream of rice - very grainy - and not at all like the almond butters and peanut butters that I have had before.

Please help me! Should I throw up what I have made so far or do you think it might work in pancakes/muffins? Also, I don't want to leave it grainy because my ds is having trouble digesting muffins made with almond meal. I want to make sure I am really blending this well.
#2 of 2 Old 06-24-2006, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have a blender? If so, try putting the pecan butter in the blender. You may have to scrape the sides and push it into the blades a bunch, but it should work. I've had good luck with blender pecan and peanut butter, but not almond butter--it always still has chunks in it. If your DS has trouble with almond meal, you may just have to buy commercial almond butter, or try the pecan butter if you can get that fine enough.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page