Motivate me....total cooking lurch - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-28-2006, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had it..I hate cooking....I want to love it again..hehe..my family would be most appreciative..although they are the problem....

I have two kids that are dairy free (at least most of the time) & the other can't handle the following:
strawberries
tomatoes
citrus fruits
red/yellow peppers
watermellon
pineapple

She seems to do ok with
blueberries
peaches
apples
bananas
cantalope
carrots & other veggies
potatoes
rasp,blackberries, & cherries in moderation.....
breads etc......

What do is the common denominator in the former that she is reacting to? anyone have a stab? I am so over allergies right now......
#2 of 15 Old 06-28-2006, 02:50 AM

Tomatoes and bell peppers are in the same family (the nightshade family). Other members are eggplant and white potato, but a person can be sensitive to just some of them and not all of them.

Pineapple has got a peculiar enzyme in it. It makes meat go mushy, makes gelatin not set up...I think that technically, it starts trying to DIGEST YOUR MOUTH when you eat it or something like that.

Strawberries are a highly allergenic food just in general for some reason.

For the other stuff I got nothin'.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#3 of 15 Old 06-28-2006, 03:50 AM

slightly OT, but have you thought about NAET therapy for the food allergies? I'm looking into it for my dd, who as of now reacts to dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, squash, eggplant, mushrooms, pears, cauliflower, turmeric and probably some other things we haven't figured out yet. I have never heard of any other person besides my dd who has reacted to things like cauliflower. As soon as it touched her face when she was eating it she got hives all over her face, her chest and the arm she was holding onto it with. Just weird! I've heard that NAET is wonderful for food reactions like that. I think it may be a IgG allergic reaction rather than the typical IgE (thats the kind that can result in anaphalyctic shock, etc). I could be wrong on that, but I think that is what is going on. Although don't quote me on that, since there is a whole arguement about types of allergic reactions in the allergies forum LOL!

Anyway, I just wanted to say I feel your pain! I feel like the list of what things we *can* eat is tiny compared to what we can't I am trying so hard to stick with a gluten free NT diet but it is HARD. We end up eating alot of meat with potatoes/rice/millet and safe veggies, or salad. BBQing some of the pastured meat we buy, making a quick salad, and then sauteing some greens in EVCO has become a regular summer thing for us now too. Thats what we do on the lazier days. Sometimes it seems impossible to find something that is NT friendly, something dd CAN eat, something dh is WILLING to eat and doesn't break the bank *sigh* Maybe try making a list of things that do work for your family's needs, then find a way to do some prep work ahead of time? I have the hardest time when I am tired, we are all hungry and I have nothing ready to go that works for all of us.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#4 of 15 Old 06-28-2006, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

I have a friend that has done NAET and had great success...I would love to try anything BUT..we have no money and only have state insurance on the kids and I don't think it covers any compliementary meds....
#5 of 15 Old 06-28-2006, 10:24 PM

Acid foods? That's a tough one.

Esp. since things like higher fructose or a sorbitol food like apples are okay.

What happens?

We did one NAET treatment on DS (with me as surrogate, it was pretty silly) until I read gut dysbiosis is a major factor in it not working and we have that here.
#6 of 15 Old 06-28-2006, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

well...her stools get really runny and she will go within 45 mins and "it" also changes colors..she will then break out with a red rash around her anus...It is ten times better now that she is potty trained but still....
She loves all those things and it eats me up that she can't eat them.
I would love to take her to someone..but we just can't afford it....The other dd has eczema....which dairy exasberates(sp)...ds is a sinus thing...
#7 of 15 Old 06-30-2006, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

bumping
#8 of 15 Old 06-30-2006, 10:21 PM

Yeah, I hate to say it's but it might be intestinal flora esp. given the rash.

Raw fruit does this to DS every time. (ex. bananas well spotted)

Loose stool usually means yeast/bad bacteria or both. Not that you want to know, but the stool is actually half bacteria, so your gut flora greatly effects it's consistency.
#9 of 15 Old 07-01-2006, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

hmm....she has never had antibiotics and was bf exclusively till she was 13 months old pretty much..which is when we introduced solids and she had her first diaper rash..that lasted 9 months till I figured it out....sigh..I wasn't on any antibiotics either..strep (last month) was the first time in over 18+ years...
so what would cause her flora to be off? and how do I fix it...sigh..I hate this...grrrr

ps..I mailed your scoby today..had issues' with the post office yesterday..grrr
#10 of 15 Old 07-05-2006, 09:44 PM

Wow, given that clean (and non vaxing ) history I have no idea!

Are they dairy free b/c of intolerances too?
#11 of 15 Old 07-05-2006, 10:29 PM

Ok duh re: dairy... decided to read (how helpful!)

What about water kefir or dairy free probiotics?
#12 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

She does like the water kefir and kombucha. Which probiotics are the best brand? they have all had some here and there..nothing consistent....

ps. she has had a few pickled green tomatoes and those don't seem to bother her like red tomatoes...
#13 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

ps..wanted to say that my WAP book came in the mail last week and dh is reading it..hehe..I haven't even gotten a chance...
#14 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 09:22 PM

I like Nature's Way Reuteri or Culturelle but watch for possible dairy reactions. I think they might contain traces?

Have you tried goat's milk yogurt? I've had good luck with that and DS.
#15 of 15 Old 07-06-2006, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

good idea if i can afford it...we are so broke right now..really tickin me off..lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page