Using Stock--some ideas. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2006, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Somebody posted a question about how to use stock (beyond the soups and sauces in NT) in the main thread, but I've been on the road and am totally behind and wanted to celebrate the whole sub-forum thing and yadda yadda yadda, so here goes:
  • Cook it down a LOT. Even if it ends up like firm jello, it will melt in your cooking and you can use just a little for a ton of flavor.
  • Use it to cook rice, cous-cous, barley, that sort of thing. Anything that would use water can generally use stock and will benefit from it flavor-wise. By the same token, you can also use some in casseroles (sp?).
  • Use it for poaching cutlets. Then once you've removed the meat, cook it down to a thick sauce. No extra dishes, and only about five minutes extra time.
  • Mix some in with cooked veggies--just enough to moisten them (of course you can also cook the veggies in the stock). With some butter and sea salt, it's delicious.

Hope it's not a waste of thread space to post this. But since mostly I'm a leech on this forum, I thought I'd take one of the few opportunities to actually give information instead of beg for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 05:36 PM

It's not a waste at all! Thanks for the tips!!
Old 06-28-2006, 06:49 PM

Cool. Thanks phroggies.

I eat mine with breakfast sometimes. I warm it, salt it, and eat it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:40 PM

You can also make salad dressing with it.

http://www.thegardenofeatingdiet.com...rdDressing.pdf

LEAN AND CREAMY MUSTARD DRESSING paraphrased from The Garden of Eating

1 cup chicken stock
1/2-1 tsp sea salt
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed (optional)
1 1/2 - 2 tbl arrowroot powder
1/2 cup additional stock
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup lemon juice OR 1/4 cup raw cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1/2 tbl dijon mustard OR 1 tsp dry mustard
stevia to taste, optional

1. Bring stock and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Add garlic if desired. Simmer and stir to dissolve salt. Dissolve arrowroot in extra 1/2 cup of stock. Add to saucepan and whisk over medium heat until thick and clear.

2. Cool at room temp or chill for 1-2 hours.

3. Whisk remaining ingredients into thickened broth, or process in a blender. Store in glass jars in the refridgerator. Lasts 3 weeks.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:40 PM

This is an awesome thread topic, as I struggle with this myself. The fam doesn't love soups and stews, especially the kid I most want to get the broth into, so I'm always looking for creative ideas.

I recently made beef stir fry marinade with it. Nearly equal parts beef stock and Bragg's Aminos (soy sauce), some olive oil, garlic, bit of ginger, and some orange juice concentrate or regular orange juice. Soooo good.

Tonight I'm making stroganoff with beef stock. Occurs to me too I could probably add some to ground beef when we have burgers.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, yum--the dressing and the stock in stroganoff are making me drool.

Knittinclothmama, I think I saw you mention on another thread that your family doesn't like broth-style soups--but you can use broth as the base for most soups. For a creamier soup, just add, well, cream in the last five minutes or so of cooking (you can also start with a roux and thin it with broth, but cream is sooooo good). Or cook up the ingredients (veggies, beans, whatever) in broth and puree some or all of it. One of my favorite soups is chunks of butternut squash boiled till tender in chicken stock (season with sea salt and pepper) and then just puree the whole thing.

I really need to make beef stock. We usually use chicken because we only eat beef a few times a month (for $$$ reasons, not because we don't love beef).

User Tag List