What are "Traditional Foods"? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 08-07-2007, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know, Nonalee. Do be careful though and make sure that whatever you give her is nutritionally adequate. I know sometimes it is difficult when a child's diet is restricted by allergies and intolerances.

Good luck!
#32 of 42 Old 08-07-2007, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonalee View Post
does anyone know if raw milk is easier to tolerate than pasteurized/homoginized milk?
Yes, I believe it is - certainly for me. I don't think people check this thread often anymore, and I don't have time right now to adequately reply. Ask your question in a new thread on the traditional foods subforum and you will likely get many responses
#33 of 42 Old 11-01-2007, 03:34 PM

What about venison, elk, homegrown chickens etc?
#34 of 42 Old 05-02-2008, 05:28 PM

My dd had trouble with most formulas - the Nestle is what finally wasn't so bad.

Soy milk is made from Soybeans and can be made at home. I don't do it because it's supposedly not good for people with a thyroid problem.
#35 of 42 Old 05-02-2008, 05:32 PM

It's not really good for anyone. But that's also how I first found out about the dangers of soy.

Did you try any of the homemade WAP formulas? I know 1 person who had to supp. her twins and had good luck with it. I often wondered how it would work for me if I had to do so, since my DD didn't tolerate dairy thru me at all.
#36 of 42 Old 06-03-2008, 11:57 PM

I used to have a tough time tolerating cows milk (it made me feel congested and mucus-y sorry if TMI hehe!) and I switched all my dairy products to goat milk/cheese/yogurt, and feel much better! I read an article somewhere about how goats milk is easier to digest because the proteins and fat globules are smaller/easier to break down. I tried almond milk, but imo its yucky without being mixed in something. ~_^
#37 of 42 Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 PM

(copied and pasted from another thread, as per request)

There are two basic premises behind Traditional Foods. First is the idea that you want the most nutritional bang-for-buck out of your food - that is, a very high nutrient density. We're not talking caloric density but rather the most vitamins, minerals, antioxidants etc. Much of the TF movement references the work of dentist Weston Price, who in the early part of the 20th century went on an epic (several epic actually) journey around the globe looking at various ethnic groups in order to basically figure out how people managed to survive before modern dentistry, since his brain kept boggling at the sheer numbers of people in his practise who basically had all their teeth falling out - it was the norm back then. Price figured the human race wouldn't have survived very long with no teeth, so he went checking on the folks who were eating what they'd eaten since the dawn of time - what we now refer to as "traditional cultures". Sure enough, they had all their teeth, and were darned healthy besides. So Price, being the little science-dude he was, took samples of their foods back to his lab and analyzed them and found waaaaaay higher levels of all vitamins and minerals than are/were found in the typical foods of his patients. He concluded that the food products of industrialized nations lacked the necessary vitamins and minerals for human health.

(Sorry if you knew all this already, but it's key to the arguments.) The rationale behind eating all the animal products, particularly fatty meat, is that meat is one of the most nutrient-dense foods you can eat. (seafood too) It's got loads of minerals AND (this is key) they are in highly absorbable forms. Many of the key vitamins (A, E and D) are fat-soluble - and animal meat is not only a good source of these, but essential for adequate uptake. Moreover, the cardiopulmonary issues the medical community frequently associates with moderate to heavy meat intake are a relic of Ancel Key's lipid hypothesis, which has been pretty soundly disproven by epidemiological and experimental data (see Gary Taubes). Also, for children especially, saturated fat is extremely important for brain development and maintenance of neuron health. It's also important for the immune system and digestion. BUT it's critical that people understand that all meat is not created equal, and a lot of the health problems people have today started rising right along with factory farming. Fat can carry a lot of good stuff, but it can also carry a lot of bad stuff too - hormones, antibiotic residue, pesticides, etc. So most TF proponents stress that meat must be organic and pasture-raised, since pasture provides the optimal diet for the animals themselves, and increases the nutrient density of their meat while decreasing the amount of bad stuff. (The same goes for plant foods - organic is best because of the reduced pesticide load AND the fact that they contain more nutrients.)

The second main idea behind Traditional Foods is the logical premise that if people have been eating these foods (as prepared traditionally - a loaf of bread is not necessarily a loaf of bread) for thousands if not millions of years without any problems (and, as Price found, with better results than a modern diet), they're probably not going to do you any harm. Meat and veg for sure are exactly what human bodies evolved to run on, so they are definitely a-ok. Dairy and grains are newer additions, but most people do just fine with them provided that they're prepared in the ways our ancestors figured out were the safest and most nutritious.

The other argument for Traditional Foods is ecological. Traditional Foods are, by their nature, sustainable. Have a look at Polyface Farm as a model of how food should be produced - it's a highly productive farm, more so than most monocrop operations, yet its impact on the environment is actually beneficial. Rotational grazing, which is how meat SHOULD be produced, actually results in a net sequestration of carbon rather than an increase. True diversified organic agriculture that incorporates animals such as chickens enhances the soil and prevents toxic run-off. Moreover, a traditional diet dovetails beautifully with the notion of local eating, further reducing the ecological footprint of your diet.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#38 of 42 Old 05-24-2009, 10:56 PM

Thanks, Sarah- I thought I was into traditional foods (nothing in a package except Lara bars in a serious emergency, everything homemade, old-fashioned recipes and real food with a lot of salads and cooking mainly with old-fashioned utencils) but some of the threads here had me flabbergasted. Your post really clarified it for me!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#39 of 42 Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
found this piece about Traditional Foods in Europe:
http://www.eurofir.net/temp/EuroFIRs...uropehs2hs.pdf

it includes a summary of European perceptions of Traditional Foods and a listing of traditional foods (a sampling thereof) by country.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#40 of 42 Old 10-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Awesome post and since it was borrowed, I suppose I can borrow it to further educate.....thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
(copied and pasted from another thread, as per request)
#41 of 42 Old 12-07-2009, 02:44 AM

My favorite is maple sugar, apple muffins, state cookies, sea food breader, grits........

Delicious and nutritious
#42 of 42 Old 12-13-2009, 06:29 PM

Been on mothering for a while mostly lurking as I have been a bit intimidated by the size, but no longer. I will be involved.
So tell me more about Traditional Foods. I am interested and know nothing!
Can anyone tell me about unpasteurized milk or a great milk substitute for cereal that also isn't soy based...maybe rice milk?? Or goats milk??? Or does it have all the hormones too?
Compsting..anyone experienced?
I have a ton of questions, they all fail me know, but I am sure I will have more.

Joede-Mom to 6! 2 non vax'd, 2 partiall vax'd, 1 uncirc'd! Striving for natural and nontoxic!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page