camping and NT? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-29-2006, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas!
We love to camp and haven't been in a couple years due to dd's health issues. She is improving and I'm hoping to hit the mountains before the end of the summer. Since her issues started we have switched to NT eating and I don't have a clue how we are going to do this while camping. I should also add that I have to hike in at least a couple of miles to feel like I really am in the wilderness so car camping is not an option. I know that raw milk is out of the question since the amount of weight we can carry will be limited. I thought the following would work :
sprouted breads/tortillas
raw pastured cheese (how long will this keep without a cooling source?)
crispy nuts
dried fruit
jerky
nut butter
Any other lightweight suggestions? I'm too: right now to think of any other foods. Is eating NT and camping even possible or am I nuts?

TIA
#2 of 4 Old 06-29-2006, 07:38 PM

I went on Outward Bound many moons ago, just before starting college. We carried a big block of cheese and just tried to eat it within the first 2-3 days. Not sure how long you could stretch it. I was a little unsure about it being soft and warm when we ate it, but it was delicious. 'Course, that was such intense,calorie-burning, mind-expanding experience I would have eaten *anything*

Didn;t have a clue that cheese could be classified in different ways then, but highly doubt it was raw...

Don't know if that helps. Purely anecdotal. I didn't die. Or get sick.

Have done some car camping since going NT, but once kids are able to pack in, hope to do more backpacking. Hope some others can add more suggestions for you... and me
#3 of 4 Old 06-30-2006, 02:53 PM

Was catching up on some email from an NT group and was reading abt pemmican- could be a lot of work, but maybe worth trying??
#4 of 4 Old 06-30-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmama
Was catching up on some email from an NT group and was reading abt pemmican- could be a lot of work, but maybe worth trying??
My cousin was just backpacking/biking up the west coast from California to Canada and stopped by my place for a day or 2. He was complaining that it was hard to get enough to eat, since by carrying more food you expend more energy. Well, I made some pemmican with blueberries in it for him and sent him on his way, and he called me later to tell me that it was a lifesaver! Lightweight, compact, and calorie-dense. I actually made 2 kinds, one with berries and one without, and he said the one with berries was superior.

It did take a bit of prep work, but it's not bad if you have a dehydrator. The meat has to dehydrate for like 12 hours or something, but it's all hands-off time for you to be doing other things. Same for rendering the lard, it takes an afternoon, but you can be doing other things while it renders. So it's maybe only about an hour or less of hands-on time, and that is to slice the beef and fat, strain the fat once it's done, pulverize the jerky in the food processor, and then dump the fat into it.

I would definitely make it again if I was planning a multi-day outdoors trip.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page