NT Damage Control - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-30-2006, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With a new baby who really doesn't enjoy the car seat, I'm pretty much stuck at home all the time, unless it's really, REALLY important lol. It's just too hard to listen to a poor little 5 week old be hysterical in the carseat. That said, my NT ways have really taken a hit. I have to buy pretty much everything from the local grocery store, and even then I usually give DH the list (and the older boys to take along). So, knowing that a full NT diet is currently impossible, can we discuss/rank the evilness of the following foods? Which of these are the lesser evils?

Grocery store milk/dairy (yes, my kids are hooked on it)

Would you buy
-organic, ultra-pasteurized, grassfed Stoneyfield farm whole
-non-organic, non-grassfed, but regular pasteurized whole milk.
Of course both are homogenized. Which would you use for making homemade yogurt? Should I use a lower fat milk for yogurt making to reduce our exposure to homogenized fat molecules? What about for regular mlik consumption? How about cheese? I'm a little confused about regular (non-raw) cheese and how it fits with an NT diet.

Bread

How bad is regular whole wheat bread? It does have soy, and it is definitely not made with soaked flour. Should I concentrate more effort into making my own, or put more effort elsewhere?

Eggs (they are all vegetarian fed)

-organic, "free-range"
-non-organic, "free-range" with Omega-3s

Meat

I can find whole chickens that I'm semi-satisfied with (non-organic, free-range, but vegetarian fed so no bugs in diet - Springer Mountain brand).
There is no beef that I'm happy with. Do we avoid beef then, or buy factory farmed beef for the time being?
#2 of 14 Old 06-30-2006, 03:17 PM

What about doing mail order? I know our beef supplier ships nationwide, as do others, and I think sprouted and sourdough breads can be gotten over the internet. And some company ships raw milk if I recall correctly. Maybe we can brainstorm some mail order sources for you?
#3 of 14 Old 06-30-2006, 04:44 PM

Milk
I'd buy the Stoneyfield milk. I know that Dr Ron really comes down hard on UHT milk in his book but in the studies I have seen of vitamin loss, it doesn't seem as dire to me. Given that neither options are raw, I'd go with the grass fed organic. And I think I'd even put grass fed over organic if it was free of growth hormones.

Bread
If you guys eat a lot, I would consider making it. Otherwise see about a sourdough with some whole wheat in it, though that may not be available. Look at the label and if it has yeast, it is probably not real sourdough. The real deal would probably list "starter."

Eggs
The difference is that the omega 3 eggs were fed some flax seed in their diet. I think I would tend to go with this, but it's a toss-up. If there is a big price difference, I'd use that as a tie-breaker.

Beef
I would tend to avoid it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#4 of 14 Old 07-02-2006, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

One more milk question:

Which is the better milk: raw milk from confined cows (local dairy), or Stoneyfield farm whole, homogenized, ultra-pasturized milk made from pastured cows?
#5 of 14 Old 07-03-2006, 03:04 PM

NAK

Just wanted to throw in one more milk possibilty-

IMO, the homogenization is even more harmful than the pasteurization

to avoid the homogenized fats when you don't have a source for non-homog. milk, sue gregg (suegregg.com) has a recipe for what she calls "Dan's Milk" . OK, here's the link. Basically uses skim milk, then adds in cream back in. Don't know how this will play into your organic/non-organic choices or if you can find non-ultra pasteurized cream, but thought I'd throw it out there.
#6 of 14 Old 07-03-2006, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hey - Dan's milk is a great idea for the time being I'll have to see about finding regular pasteurized cream. Thanks so much for this idea. I'm still wondering about the raw milk from the non-pastured cows though, if anyone has any opinions on it...
#7 of 14 Old 07-03-2006, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'd personally go with raw milk from non-pastured cows over ultra- pasturized homogenized grass-fed milk, or perhaps a combination of the two (if that's not too complicated for your current shopping schedual.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#8 of 14 Old 07-04-2006, 07:19 PM

Personally, grassfed is my number 1 requirement . . . partly because I get really phlegmy with grainfed milk and partly due to the way the cows are treated. Ultra pasteurized may not have all the vitamins but you can at least boil it to make the proteins more digestible before you make it into yogurt.
#9 of 14 Old 07-05-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Eggs
The difference is that the omega 3 eggs were fed some flax seed in their diet. I think I would tend to go with this, but it's a toss-up. If there is a big price difference, I'd use that as a tie-breaker.
In the Shopping Guide, they list that if you can't get pastured eggs, the flax-fed omega 3 eggs are okay. At least they are higher in Omega 3's.

Ann
#10 of 14 Old 07-05-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit
Which is the better milk: raw milk from confined cows (local dairy), or Stoneyfield farm whole, homogenized, ultra-pasturized milk made from pastured cows?
Honestly, if the local dairy is like some I've seen, I wouldn't drink it raw. And I wouldn't drink homogenized, so the Stoneyfield Farm would be out too. As part of a regular diet, I would tend to get another food rather than use one of these options.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#11 of 14 Old 07-05-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnC
In the Shopping Guide, they list that if you can't get pastured eggs, the flax-fed omega 3 eggs are okay. At least they are higher in Omega 3's.
I think Omega-3 eggs are a good option, but OP continues to tax our brains and in this example, the Omega-3s were not organic and the other brand was organic. Then again, Omega-3s are one of the key reasons I eat eggs, so today, I am leaning toward the flax-fed hens.

#12 of 14 Old 07-06-2006, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

The whole milk situation makes me uneasy too, either way. The dairy that is semi-nearby (30 minutes) is small and family owned, but the cows are most definitely confined. The farmer and all the people working there say they always drink the milk, and always have, but there's something about all those cows living in the (open-air) barn and all their excrement right there, that's not appealing at all LOL I think I will buy the Stoneyfield farm skim and then add the cream back afterwards (how expensive is that?!). Does ultra-pasteurizing ruin the fat in milk cream as well, or is it mainly just the proteins that suffer? Not sure that I can find regular pasteurized cream...

I have access to farm eggs with my CSA - I haven't yet been for the pick-up (dh has been doing it). But he says the chickens live in a regular chicken coup with room to move, but definitely a more indoor home = no bug eating I assume. I've been buying those eggs for now. Is it difficult for a farmer to truly pasture his chickens? I wonder if a significant number would be lost to wild animals...
#13 of 14 Old 07-06-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit
The whole milk situation makes me uneasy too, either way. The dairy that is semi-nearby (30 minutes) is small and family owned, but the cows are most definitely confined. The farmer and all the people working there say they always drink the milk, and always have, but there's something about all those cows living in the (open-air) barn and all their excrement right there, that's not appealing at all LOL I think I will buy the Stoneyfield farm skim and then add the cream back afterwards (how expensive is that?!). Does ultra-pasteurizing ruin the fat in milk cream as well, or is it mainly just the proteins that suffer? Not sure that I can find regular pasteurized cream...

I have access to farm eggs with my CSA - I haven't yet been for the pick-up (dh has been doing it). But he says the chickens live in a regular chicken coup with room to move, but definitely a more indoor home = no bug eating I assume. I've been buying those eggs for now. Is it difficult for a farmer to truly pasture his chickens? I wonder if a significant number would be lost to wild animals...
My best friend lets her chickens run wild in the back yard, and they only get a little feed in the evening to get them to go back into the coop, then they are confined all night to protect them. She has lost a few to coyotes. But she has lots of healthy, happy chickens who produce eggs with very strong shells and very orange yolks. Also, chickens help the manure of cows and other animals to break down and fertilize the soil, because they eat the bugs out of it and peck it to pieces. Pastured animals can all live very well together out in the grass. Personally, I'd rather have that kind of a farm rather than piles of poop to shovel out of the barn and chicken coop.

But most of the people who sell "farm fresh eggs" use the movable pens. If you don't move the pens often enough, the chickens don't get enough grass. I guess they think it's too much trouble to let chickens run wild, but every farm did exactly that 100 years ago.

Ann
#14 of 14 Old 07-06-2006, 08:43 PM

If you could find sprouted bread (Ezequiel) you could buy a lot and freeze it.

I would not drink the homogonized milk or the confined milk.

Maybe a friend/family member dh could pick up some of your regular NT stuff for you. Maybe tell dh how important healthy eating is for you and the family and then give him a very detailed shopping list.
Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page