first attempt at NT whey. Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-01-2006, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, I just set out my raw milk in a glass container yesterday. My home is around 78 degrees in daytime and probably gets no cooler then 76 at night. Now I am using whole raw milk. When I poured it into a container, I noticed that the fat right away went up to the top. If i look at it now, you can see a seperation of the milk. On the top about an inch and a half or so it looks a little more creamy colored and there are the tiniest looking bubble like things. I would say it looks like a custard or something? And under the seperation you see the white milk. Is this the seperation I'm looking for? I don't see any curdles or anything like that. Help!
#2 of 12 Old 07-01-2006, 07:58 PM

It sounds to me like you are talking about the cream rising to the top? I haven't made whey by just setting plain milk out, but my homemade kefir often separates into curds and whey. The whey appears at the bottom of the jar, and it's a clear liquid with a slight yellowish tint. Maybe you need to leave the milk out longer for it to separate?
#3 of 12 Old 07-01-2006, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

well if whey is always clear looking then the milk hasn't seperated the whey yet. It looks like plain milk on the bottom and the cream is at the top. So do you think that eventually it will only creamish looking stuff and the see thru whey? I'll give it a couple more days. I just didn't want to let the right time pass. I pay way to much for my milk to just let it end up spoiling on the counter. Thanks!
#4 of 12 Old 07-01-2006, 09:57 PM

My cream gets bubbles in it too. I havent done this yet for whey. But I have had some for too long and the cream gets really thick and has bubbles keep watching and you'll be able to tell when the milk separates. It will look yellowish.
#5 of 12 Old 07-01-2006, 10:30 PM

You kind of have to let the milk "spoil" to get whey. You can get whey only from cultured products like buttermilk, kefir, or yogurt. So if you are starting from fresh raw milk, you have to let it sour to culture naturally and then wait for it to separate.
#6 of 12 Old 07-01-2006, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

so does it in a way take longer to make whey from fresh milk instead of yogurt because it has to sour where yogurt or kefir is already soured?
#7 of 12 Old 07-01-2006, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

crunchymom-

the milk will start to look yellowish? or the cream? because the cream is already looking kinda yellowish. This is kinda exiting! To see how nature at work in my kitchen!
#8 of 12 Old 07-02-2006, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasanova
so does it in a way take longer to make whey from fresh milk instead of yogurt because it has to sour where yogurt or kefir is already soured?
Yep, whey is literally the watery part that is produced when milk sours. Yogurt, kefir, buttermilk, and piima milk are all soured milk products produced by introducing certain types of bacteria strains into the milk. Raw milk has natural strains of bacteria that will cause the milk to sour and curdle on its own which is a natural way of preserving itself.
#9 of 12 Old 07-02-2006, 02:21 AM

Quote:
crunchymom-

the milk will start to look yellowish? or the cream? because the cream is already looking kinda yellowish. This is kinda exiting! To see how nature at work in my kitchen!
The milk will separte into yellowish and then solids in there. The cream will stay on top and mine always has a yellowish tone to it.
#10 of 12 Old 07-03-2006, 04:26 PM

How's it looking now? I first tried to make whey this past winter and had no idea what I was looking for it to do. Finally had an NT friend come by after over a week and say, "um, mine never looked like that..." Turns out my house was too cold.

Have since made it a couple times. It will get really chunky and obviously curds and whey. Reminds me of fresh mozzarella cheese but in a yellowish liquid.
#11 of 12 Old 07-03-2006, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

I was just going to give an update today! We have whey! : Yesterday when I woke up the milk definitely looked different then the night before. I could start to see a clearish liquid and the milk was starting to look thicker then the rest. Not curdles exaclty, it's hard to explain. So I figured I would leave it a little longer to let more of the whey seperate or see if more would seperate anyways. By nighttime there was a good amount of liquid so it got a dishcloth and strainer and put it in to drip. I was so happy! Milk had just worked it's magic in my kitchen! I left it overnight to drip and in the morning the cheese was on top and the whey in the container. The only thing I wasn't happy with was that my dishtowel was fully wet with the whey so a good amount stayed in the towel and won't be going in a container : Kind of a waste I think. It was a thick towel but the only towels I had so they had to do for the first try. I got some cheese cloth today at the store so I'll be using that next time. The cheese definitely tastes nothing like store bought cream cheese. A lot more sour. So I think I'll find a recipe to use it in because I don't think I'd be able to eat it straight. Thanks for all the tips mamas! I'm a new NT'er so you'll be seeing me around here a lot more now!
#12 of 12 Old 07-03-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
The only thing I wasn't happy with was that my dishtowel was fully wet with the whey so a good amount stayed in the towel and won't be going in a container : Kind of a waste I think. It was a thick towel but the only towels I had so they had to do for the first try. I got some cheese cloth today at the store so I'll be using that next time. The cheese definitely tastes nothing like store bought cream cheese. A lot more sour. So I think I'll find a recipe to use it in because I don't think I'd be able to eat it straight. Thanks for all the tips mamas! I'm a new NT'er so you'll be seeing me around here a lot more now!
Suggestions: I use either a small cheesecloth or paper towel in a stainless steel strainer. I dampen them slightly first. That way you don't get that wastage. Also, lap the corners over the curds, or the corners hang down and drip.

I don't like the sourness of the cream cheese either. I found that if I let the whey drip in the refrigerator, the cream cheese is not as sour tasting. I like it much better, more like what I expect from cream cheese.

Ann

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page