Pregnant and can't handle cooking - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-02-2006, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really having a hard time, I get sick even going in the kitchen or opening the fridge. I really want to eat good for this babe, I am 15 weeks today. I am going to get some Carlson's capsules tomorrow, because taking my liquid just isn't happening and it seems Carlson's doesn't use synthetic vitamins.

I can eat fruit and veggies at least, but I know I really need some protien. I have had some liver and onions a few times when other people cooked it.

Just really frustrated here.

Any suggestions?

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-02-2006, 12:28 PM

I sympathize. I'm just under 12 weeks and SO SICK. Can't go into the kitchen, barely. I had such high hopes for taking CLO and eating well, but ... well... it's not happening yet. I am OK with it. Right now, with two kids already, I'm just trying to make it through the days. DH is cooking some, which means pasta. I ordered a bunch of horrible frozen meals from Schwan's. I just gotta survive right now and I will not beat myself up over it. It's frustrating. BUt I know as soon as I'm better, we'll be back on track and my kids won't know the difference. They'll just think I'm back to better and cooking again. They have no idea I sometimes fret over their current meals.

Oh....I even had dh get them boxed CEREAL, which I finally banned from the house. But until I am back to making eggs and bacon and grains, I just gotta do it for their and dh sake. Mornings are esp. hard for me.

So, I'm with ya. My only suggestion is prepare what you can and have dh help you? For me that means marinating meat and having him grill. Making the grocery list include things you know he can cook. And relaxing. I really believe if our kids usually eat well, they can survive times like this!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#3 of 4 Old 07-02-2006, 12:47 PM

Ugh. I know the feeling. I was sick for 26 weeks this time. And there are still a lot of things I can't smell or look at.
Smoothies helped me get by. I added rice protein powder (pretty benign taste and smell) and used rice & soymilk, and a small amount of Perfect Food powder (had to hold my breath while the container was open, but it disappears into food pretty well), and ditto on some flax oil. Otherwise, I just added a handful of frozen strawberries & mangos.
Frozen foods don't smell much, so that was helpful.
But even the smell of whole grain anything would make me vomit in the kitchen sink. I had a really hard time and felt guilty eating mostly refined bread products, smoothies, and some candy because that was all that stayed down.
Strangely enough I'd have occasional cravings for really spicy foods, and if a vegetable was in a really spicy sauce I could eat it! So I ordered Thai and Szechuan Chinese food once a week.
If it's really bad you might want to try Diclectin (or the OTC equivalent of Unisom & B6) or get a prescription for something that could help.
All the ginger, accupuncture bracelets, and crackers in the world won't help when it's really bad morning sickness. And having my husband "help" cook just made it worse because he makes such a mess in the kitchen, and then I'd have to go clean it up. Take-out and frozen meals unfortunately happened a few times a week for us during that time.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#4 of 4 Old 07-04-2006, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

I guess this is probably a good place to ask about a good prenatal, so I feel like I am getting more nutrition.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page