Perhaps a silly milk question. . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2006, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get unhomogenized but pasturized milk from a local farm. This seems like an exceedingly silly question, but if I skim the cream off the top, do I then have skim milk? It looks so much better than regular super-market skim milk. If it is indeed "skim," then am I missing out on the point of consuming dairy products with their natural fats--i.e., is my "skim" milk less nutritious?

I ask largely because I could really use all that cream. My best source for cream right now is Organic Valley--I can find nothing that isn't ultrapastuerized. But I don't want to reduce the nutritional content of the milk itself.

Does any of that make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2006, 02:53 PM

Well, you won't have skim milk, exactly ... it just won't be full fat. But it will still have a lot more fat than skim milk that you'd buy in the store.

If you're using the cream in other things (making butter, for instance), you're still getting the nutritional value of the milk/cream. The point is that the fats in the dairy help you assimilate and use the vitamins and minerals in other foods. So you'd still be helping yourself, there.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:46 PM
AJP

"Skim" (non-fat) milk from the store has had the cream removed by centrifuge, which is far more efficient. Just skimming the cream off the top leaves more in the milk. I agree that if you're consuming the fat in other ways, it's fine to use the milk you've skimmed yourself. Just remember you should have some of that milkfat at the same time that you consume the skimmed milk, but as long as you haven't taken all the cream out there should be enough left (and unless you have a centrifuge cream separator, you won't likely get all the cream out). Your body needs the fat to effectively assimilate the nutrients in the milk.

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Okay--that clarifies things. Thanks. My fiendish plan is to palm off the skim milk on DH, as right now he drinks the regular supermarket skim.

User Tag List