Cooking with raw dairy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-03-2006, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're just gonna cook it, do you still use raw dairy? Ex: cheese cake-does it matter if I use the good stuff from the farm or should I just use organic from Whole Foods? It seems silly to use the expensive stuff if I'm cooking it anyway. Does it make a difference?
Suzy

Also, does anyone get raw cottage cheese? My mom loves cottage cheese but I hate to see her eating that grocery store stuff. Bleh!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#2 of 7 Old 07-03-2006, 03:50 PM

No one wants to hear this, but my raw milk source is 1/2 the cost of store-bought organic. But if that were not the case, I'd use a non-homogenized pasteurized for cooking, b/c cost is a big factor for me. But I am one for whom non-homog. is even more important than unpasteurized.

#3 of 7 Old 07-03-2006, 05:18 PM

You could make raw dripped yogurt cheese and then use that to make a no-bake, raw cheesecake. I believe Gale Force posted about something similar in an old NT thread I was reading.

To answer your question, though, I still use only raw milk, even if I'm going to cook it. I know where that milk comes from, so I'm more comfortable using it. It is cheaper than store-bought organic milk for me, too. ($5 per gallon as opposed to $7 + per gallon, depending on which store I purchase it from.) And that would still be pastuerized, homoginized organic milk, and I think the pastuerization and homoginization are just as important as the organic factor.
#4 of 7 Old 07-03-2006, 10:37 PM

I just use raw milk for everything. I'm not comfortable with consuming homogenized milk on a regular basis and I've never seen store bought milk that wasn't homogenized. I pay $4 for a gallon of raw milk anyway, and a half gallon of Organic Valley costs over $4 around here.

Oh, and we don't eat cottage cheese but my farm does offer it. Have you checked with your source? It's $3.50 per pound here but I don't know how that compares to store-bought.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#5 of 7 Old 07-04-2006, 11:24 PM

I just started making kefir, and I found that non-homogenized Strauss, and Trader Joe's organic milks make great kefirs. So I save raw milk mostly for drinking, unless I need to use some up before it turns on me. I just started making a quart of kefir every morning(for about a week now) so I have thought about this alot lately.
Also, I think anything where you would be cooking or baking with it-it would be okay to use non-homogenized. Because essentially you are killing stuff when you cook it.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#6 of 7 Old 07-05-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica*
I just use raw milk for everything. I'm not comfortable with consuming homogenized milk on a regular basis and I've never seen store bought milk that wasn't homogenized. I pay $4 for a gallon of raw milk anyway, and a half gallon of Organic Valley costs over $4 around here.

Oh, and we don't eat cottage cheese but my farm does offer it. Have you checked with your source? It's $3.50 per pound here but I don't know how that compares to store-bought.
I use raw. But Organic Valley has come out with non-homogenized milk, so I would be using that or Strauss if I didn't have raw. Well, probably Strauss, since it comes in glass and they do seem to be grassfed, from their website. I'm not certain about OV. But I try not to cook the milk. If it's a soup or something, I add milk or cream after I take it off the heat and right before serving. I can't think of anything I make now that requires cooking milk, just heating it maybe to 90 degrees.

When it comes to butter, I don't cook with my raw butter. I buy Strauss or Kerrygold for cooking.

Ann
#7 of 7 Old 07-05-2006, 08:48 PM

Organic Valley is grassfed, actually. The OV cultured butter is recommended on the WAPF site for this very reason. I didn't know that they'd come out with a non-homogenized version, though. Wonder who I'd have to bug to actually see that in a local store?!?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page