Beet Kvass? No Whey!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-03-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I bought raw beets today so I could make the beet kvass from the EFLF cookbook.

I don't want to use whey when I make it, because I want to be able to consume it with or after consuming meat. Could I simply omit the whey from the recipe? Should I use the liquid from naturally fermented pickles or saurkraut? Alter the recipe some other way?

Also, what should I do with the beet greens? Ferment them along with the beets or use them in another recipe?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-03-2006, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#3 of 12 Old 07-03-2006, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
I bought raw beets today so I could make the beet kvass from the EFLF cookbook.

I don't want to use whey when I make it, because I want to be able to consume it with or after consuming meat. Could I simply omit the whey from the recipe? Should I use the liquid from naturally fermented pickles or saurkraut? Alter the recipe some other way?

Also, what should I do with the beet greens? Ferment them along with the beets or use them in another recipe?
I think some sauerkraut juice would work well. Probably pickle juice too. It's basically pickling the beets anyway, fermenting them, so it doesn't matter what bacteria you're using.

I cut the greens off. I compost them, but you could cook them like any other greens, I think. But I've never tried, so don't take my word for it!

Ann
#4 of 12 Old 07-03-2006, 09:25 PM

I've seen a couple of recipes using yeast. I don't see why you couldn't inocculate it with a bug that is acceptable to you from one of the sources you mentioned.

Maybe you could make a ginger bug. I had the best success when I made mine using a cheesecloth cover rather than a tight lid at first. Now, I keep it under a tight lid.

I suppose that you could try making it like kraut without any inocculant & see what happens.

Good luck & keep us posted on the results.
#5 of 12 Old 07-03-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnC

I cut the greens off. I compost them, but you could cook them like any other greens, I think. But I've never tried, so don't take my word for it!

Ann
Beet greens are yummy. For some reason (maybe it's just adding one too many variables) my inclination is to leave them out of the kvass.
#6 of 12 Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 PM

Beet greens can be cooked like other greens. When I have them, I use them interchangeably with chard leaves, although I think they are more tender. Fresh beet greens are delicious!
#7 of 12 Old 07-03-2006, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

OK, the beet kvass is "cooking" in a turned off crock pot on my counter, with some saurkraut juice as the innoculant- the greens are in the fridge and I plan to prepare them tomorrow (though I might give a small amount to Samster tonight.)

#8 of 12 Old 07-03-2006, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In NT, Sally Fallon suggests using an additional tablespoon of sea salt in many recipes where you don't wish to use whey for lactofermentation.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#9 of 12 Old 07-05-2006, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

OK, it's been 2 days since I prepared the beet kvass.

What exactly is it supposed to look and smell like now?

It's got some white stuff floating on the top. Is that part safe to drink or should I skim that off?

I guess after 2 days I'm supposed to transfer it to the fridge?

#10 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 01:23 PM

Mine tastes very beety & a little tart. I think that you want to skim the floaties.
#11 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
OK, it's been 2 days since I prepared the beet kvass.

What exactly is it supposed to look and smell like now?

It's got some white stuff floating on the top. Is that part safe to drink or should I skim that off?

I guess after 2 days I'm supposed to transfer it to the fridge?
Sally doesn't say to do this, but I strain it into bottles and refrigerate. The first time I made it, I left the beets in there, and eventually it got very thick and kind of stringy, and I didn't like it. So I just get the beets out of there. The kvass doesn't have much of a flavor, so I mix it with sparkling water and cranberry juice.

Ann
#12 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

It tastes like sour borsht to me. Right now I have the crock pot in the fridge and I've been using a ladle to transfer it into cups for drinking. It's not particularly tasty but I'm willing to drink it if it will give me more energy. What I think I'll do tonight is ladle most of it into a glass jar, then add more water and re-ferment the beets (in EFLF they recomend doing this once, then discarding the beets and using fresh beets for the next batch.)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page