Ice cream recipe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-03-2006, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what people think of the ice cream recipe in NT and if they have made adjustments or used another recipe.

Anyone ever use part milk, part cream? Not sure how mch cream I can get off the top of my milk!

I plan to try to make some tomorrow!
#2 of 4 Old 07-05-2006, 05:27 AM

I make icecream loosley based on the NT icecream recipe all the time. I omit the arrowroot usually as I find it gives it a slightly chalky texture. Generally I use 1 pt of raw cream, 2 egg yolks & approx half a cup of raw honey & a touch of vanilla if I have it.

What I do in order to get the cream off the top of the milk is firstly to leave it in the fridge for a day or two so as it can rise. Then I have a skinny teaspoon which fits into the milk bottle. I use that to get the cream out so I am effectively spooning it off the top instead of trying to pour it out.
#3 of 4 Old 07-06-2006, 01:44 PM

My recipe is very similar to Oceanmama's, except I leave the egg whites in and I use lots of vanilla. For chocolate ice cream, I add about a tablespoon of cocoa powder, and maple syrup instead of honey. Coconut milk can be subbed in part or in whole for cream in the vanilla recipe. Not sure how chocolate-coconut would taste, but it might be worth a try!
#4 of 4 Old 07-06-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmama
Just wondering what people think of the ice cream recipe in NT and if they have made adjustments or used another recipe.

Anyone ever use part milk, part cream? Not sure how mch cream I can get off the top of my milk!

I plan to try to make some tomorrow!
I use two cups cream and one cup whole milk. Then the three (I think?) egg yolks and the vanilla. I leave out the arrowroot, I don't find that it helps. I use only 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, and I find that is plenty sweet. Yummmmmmmmmmm

Ann

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page